Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:22 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You asked me to prove what you said. I did. Now you can't handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. Add up the totals listed here:
Welfare Health Care (Medicaid/CHIP/etc.): $446.4
Pensions (Sickness and Disability, excluding Social Security): $154.1 billion
Welfare: $361.9 billion
http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year2015_0.html
Add the $14.4 billion for Title 1
Total: $976.8 billion
Not 1/3, but definitely 26.5% of 2015 federal spending. And that doesn't even include the programs listed in other categories that aren't broken out by program. Meanwhile, the poverty rate is only 14.5%.
BS, what "pensions"? SSI is included below, and SSDI is not means tested. Title 1 is not means tested and medicaid/chip is not 'welfare'. Quit using magical math.

"Safety net programs: About 10 percent of the federal budget in 2015,
or $362 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship. Spending on safety net programs declined in both nominal and real terms between 2014 and 2015 as the economy continued to improve. These programs include: the refundable portions of the Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit, which assist low- and moderate-income working families; programs that provide cash payments to eligible individuals or households, including Supplemental Security Income for the elderly or disabled poor and unemployment insurance; various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income people, including SNAP (food stamps), school meals, low-income housing assistance, child care assistance, and help meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children."

No, we don’t spend $1 trillion on welfare each year his claims says any money mostly spent on the poor is “welfare.” To give you a better sense here, the federal spending breaks down into a couple of broad categories. Only about one-third of it is actually what we think of as “welfare”:

Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You asked me to prove what you said. I did. Now you can't handle it.
wow, that's bizarre. You claimed that I said that my husband and I made a total of $118,000 +, and that we didn't make that individually, I never said that- not once. So you come back with some figure which supposedly proves I was wrong when I said we consider ourselves middle class and you just "made your case" ? seriously....

Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Ah, yes! Mitt Romney's infamous "takers"!!!! Only he claimed 47% while you're adding 8% points to that number.
I posted the facts as they exist for 2015. I've posted them again, below.

Quote:
A significant portion of those who don't pay income taxes are a)retirees with only SS and other income below the minimum level to be taxed; b) children below the age of 18 who are still in school; and c) young adults between ages of 18-24 who are still in school and have minimal income. Furthermore, about 10% of the US population is mentally or physically handicapped and limited in their ability to work.
None of the above are tax units. If you are a dependent minor or have minimal or no income, as you've described, you don't file taxes.

Quote:
A tax unit is an individual, or a married couple who file a tax return jointly, along with all dependents of that individual or married couple.
Tax Model FAQ

PLEASE educate yourself:

2015:

Federal Income Tax Units(1): 171.3 million
Federal Income Tax Payers(3): 93.8 million

(1) Excludes those who are dependents of other tax units
(3) Tax filers with federal individual income tax of over $5

A tax unit is an individual, or a married couple, who file a tax return jointly, along with all dependents of that individual or married couple.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Individual Income Tax:

77.5 million. 45.3% of all tax units.

Tax Units with Zero or Negative Sum of Income and Payroll Taxes:

46 million. 26.9% of all tax units

T15-0138 - Tax Units with Zero or Negative Income Tax - Tax Policy Center

This will probably come as a surprise to some: About 27% of all tax units pay NO Federal Income Tax AND NO Payroll Taxes on their earnings. That's almost always due to the various refundable tax credits offsetting them both.

https://www.irs.com/articles/refunda...le-tax-credits

Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I posted the facts as they exist for 2015. I've posted them again, below. None of the above are tax units. If you are a dependent minor or have minimal or no income, as you've described, you don't file taxes. PLEASE educate yourself:
Tax Units with Zero or Negative Individual Income Tax: 77.5 million. 45.3% of all tax units.
yeah but you forgot about this:

Most of the 43 percent of Americans who the Tax Policy Center projects will pay no federal income tax this year make very little money. Some are middle-income households that qualify for enough tax preferences to zero out their tax bills. But more than 70,000 households with income over $200,000 will pay no federal income tax in 2013. How will they do that?

Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
So you are claiming is that Congress would have provided a permanent solution for dramatic cuts to doctor payments from the Medicare health insurance program for the elderly under the sustainable growth rate formula also known as “SGR.” but they just didn't have the money? ...hmm you might look at some of the stuff they spent money on before you make that claim
Yes, I have. There's WAY too much money spent on those who don't contribute (or haven't previously contributed for decades in order to be eligible for SS and Medicare). I already listed it out; at least $1 Trillion was spent on means-tested social welfare programs in 2015.

Furthermore, women who receive public assistance, as a group, have a birth rate 3 times higher than those who don't. They just breed more and more welfare-dependents. 70% of those kids will NEVER climb out of poverty. They'll need various forms of public assistance for life. It's NOT sustainable, especially with WAY TOO FEW actually contributing.

We need a 20-25% VAT tax like European and Scandinavian countries have. EVERYONE contributes in those countries, even the poor.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
There are provisions for a follow up visit, I'm sure if you look you can find it.
Only within 12 hours of discharge. 1, 2, or 3 days, or a week later, etc.? No.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
BS, what "pensions"? SSI is included below, and SSDI is not means tested.
The source I linked specifically included SSI and SSDI together because those who fall under either are unlikely to be able to earn enough to support themselves. Are you now claiming the disabled are earning so much that they don't need SSI or SSDI? Interesting...

And Title I is in fact means-tested.
Quote:
Title I, Part A (Title I) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended (ESEA) provides financial assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards. Federal funds are currently allocated through four statutory formulas that are based primarily on census poverty estimates and the cost of education in each state.
Title I, Part A Program

Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
wow, that's bizarre. You claimed that I said that my husband and I made a total of $118,000 +, and that we didn't make that individually, I never said that- not once. So you come back with some figure which supposedly proves I was wrong when I said we consider ourselves middle class and you just "made your case" ? seriously....
Yes, seriously. I posted a source identifying exactly what a middle class income is for a family of three. You're the one making things up.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Only within 12 hours of discharge. 1, 2, or 3 days, or a week later, etc.? No.
lol you didn't even bother to look it up. "If the beneficiary continues to be in a condition that requires emergency or urgent care (i.e., unconscious or unstable after surgery for an aneurysm) follow up care would continue to be paid under emergency or urgent care until such time as the beneficiary no longer needed such care. In the absence of incontrovertible evidence, CMS recommends accepting what the physician or practitioner says via the modifiers and doing post-pay records review of frequent users of the opt-out modifier"

Clearly if you are 'out of the woods' and can return home and see a plan physician you will have to do that, even if it means cutting your vacation short, but if that's important to you, you could get a Part C PFFS plan without a physician network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies