Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 PM

501 posts, read 361,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So with all of the questionable comments that Trump gets beat up over, how does what Obama said at Howard University today not get him accused of being a racist and divisive?

Obama's full remarks at Howard University commencement ceremony - POLITICO

Sorry you had to deal with a congress that you think was elected by us ill advised white dummies that clearly only want bad things for everyone, Mr. President. Looking forward to your retirement, jerk.
I don't see the comparison here. Trump assumes Muslims to be terrorists until proven non-terrorists. And he specifically said that blacks are inherently lazy. And he had an apartment complex business that specifically discriminated against blacks and other non-whites. And his dad was suspiciously arrested at a white supremacist rally. And his senior political aide, Sam Nunberg, was an overt racist who wanted to call some famous black person's daughter the n-word.

Meanwhile, Obama says that blacks didn't vote as much in the 2014 mid-terms which cost the Democrats a lot of Congressional seats. Do you interpret this to mean that he doesn't care about the white vote or something? Because his cabinet is a lot whiter than George Bush's cabinet, and he has a lot of support from young white voters. And his VP is white. And he either wants Hillary or Bernie to win, who are white.

So... what gives?

Obama doesn't like white Republicans much, that's probably true. But I doubt he likes black Republicans much either. He likes white, black, gay, Christian, Muslim, etc Democrats though.

It ain't a racial thing.

Now, Trump on the other hand, is openly discriminatory towards all Muslims, regardless of whether or not they want to be Republicans. Which is kinda screwed up. And when he said black people are lazy, he didn't just focus on Democrat blacks, but all blacks. And his apartment complex scandal didn't say "let the black Republicans in! not the Dem ones!" but all blacks.

So yeah I just don't see the comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Oh I get what the OP was trying to say now... Still makes zero sense to me. Is it racist to say the Democrat's do better when more people of color vote?

Old 05-07-2016, 10:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
I don't see the comparison here. Trump assumes Muslims to be terrorists until proven non-terrorists. And he specifically said that blacks are inherently lazy. And he had an apartment complex business that specifically discriminated against blacks and other non-whites. And his dad was suspiciously arrested at a white supremacist rally. And his senior political aide, Sam Nunberg, was an overt racist who wanted to call some famous black person's daughter the n-word.

Meanwhile, Obama says that blacks didn't vote as much in the 2014 mid-terms which cost the Democrats a lot of Congressional seats. Do you interpret this to mean that he doesn't care about the white vote or something? Because his cabinet is a lot whiter than George Bush's cabinet, and he has a lot of support from young white voters. And his VP is white. And he either wants Hillary or Bernie to win, who are white.

So... what gives?

Obama doesn't like white Republicans much, that's probably true. But I doubt he likes black Republicans much either. He likes white, black, gay, Christian, Muslim, etc Democrats though.

It ain't a racial thing.

Now, Trump on the other hand, is openly discriminatory towards all Muslims, regardless of whether or not they want to be Republicans. Which is kinda screwed up. And when he said black people are lazy, he didn't just focus on Democrat blacks, but all blacks. And his apartment complex scandal didn't say "let the black Republicans in! not the Dem ones!" but all blacks.

So yeah I just don't see the comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Oh I get what the OP was trying to say now... Still makes zero sense to me. Is it racist to say the Democrat's do better when more people of color vote?
The comparison is in the fact that if after election day when Trump likely gets beaten, if he came out and said "If more white people turned out to vote" he would be lambasted. There is no difference. Obama is implying here that he wants to cancel out the white vote because apparently black people know better. To me any time you start calling people out on their actions solely based on their color because you think the results would be better you are getting in seriously dangerous waters with what you are implying.

And no, he isn't saying democrats would do better, he is saying the country would be better off if more black people voted. Its a terrible way to position things for a guy who wants to bring people together. I guess in his mind you bring people together by singling them out and pitting them against one another by saying the other group makes voting decisions that are bad for the country.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
He has exhibited very little dignity, IMO.

In what way has he demonstrated any dignity? He's been an extremely petty POTUS.
What the Hell are you talking about ! He always conducts himself with class and control, something that idiot Trump hasn't a clue about. Even in this debacle of an election, Obama has kept his remarks civil and he has taken the high road.

But I might as well **** into the wind as to try to convince some of you. Haters gonna hate, regardless of the facts staring them right in the face. But I bet it just irks the Hell out of some of you that he lasted 8 years, doesn't it ??

Don

Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Data is crap.

You doubtfully understand that some of us rate him poorly, just as we rate virtually all other politicians poorly, for their lack of understanding of the Constitution and for their apparent and open disdain for that document.

0bama is a horrible POTUS, IMO, and it has nothing to do with his race and all to do with his politics and disregard for the Constitution.
Oh noes! Reality, facts, and data disagree with me, I will just deny reality!

Hey your opinion though? Thats fine. Some folks agree with it even. The majority however think he is doing a good job. You can have your own opinion. But facts are facts.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The comparison is in the fact that if after election day when Trump likely gets beaten, if he came out and said "If more white people turned out to vote" he would be lambasted. There is no difference. Obama is implying here that he wants to cancel out the white vote because apparently black people know better. To me any time you start calling people out on their actions solely based on their color because you think the results would be better you are getting in seriously dangerous waters with what you are implying.

And no, he isn't saying democrats would do better, he is saying the country would be better off if more black people voted. Its a terrible way to position things for a guy who wants to bring people together. I guess in his mind you bring people together by singling them out and pitting them against one another by saying the other group makes voting decisions that are bad for the country.
If more white people turned out to vote, the Democrats would've lost more power in 2014 than they did. That's true. But it has nothing to do with their race and everything to do with the fact that most whites are Republicans. Trump has 48% support among white people, for example, while only something like 5% support from blacks. And 30% support from non-black minorities.

Your post is just paranoid nonsense. Are you suggesting that Obama is pitting white people against black people, despite surrounding himself with white people in his cabinet and his party?

The vast majority of the DNC's leadership is white. How is he pitting whites against blacks? He's pitting Democrats against Republicans. As he should.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
If more white people turned out to vote, the Democrats would've lost more power in 2014 than they did. That's true. But it has nothing to do with their race and everything to do with the fact that most whites are Republicans. Trump has 48% support among white people, for example, while only something like 5% support from blacks. And 30% support from non-black minorities.

Your post is just paranoid nonsense. Are you suggesting that Obama is pitting white people against black people, despite surrounding himself with white people in his cabinet and his party?

The vast majority of the DNC's leadership is white. How is he pitting whites against blacks? He's pitting Democrats against Republicans. As he should.
Again, he told a group of black people that they needed to vote in bigger numbers so he didn't "have to deal with that congress" its not hard to read into that. Again, all I ask is to switch the roles and put Trump in that position of saying something similar and there would be protests and riots everywhere. I mean really:

Trump:If more white people had voted....

3 seconds later every Democrat, social media account, and news station would post their cartoons of Trump dressed as Hitler or in a Klan hood.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 PM

I'll give you this: Obama shouldn't have said "African american vote" but just Democratic vote. He did make a mistake and gave Republicans like you political ammo to dream up some weird reverse racism claim.

But it should be obvious that he'd rather the black Republican vote just stay home in 2014. I mean, come on.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Again, he told a group of black people that they needed to vote in bigger numbers so he didn't "have to deal with that congress" its not hard to read into that. Again, all I ask is to switch the roles and put Trump in that position of saying something similar and there would be protests and riots everywhere. I mean really:

Trump:If more white people had voted....

3 seconds later every Democrat, social media account, and news station would post their cartoons of Trump dressed as Hitler or in a Klan hood.
That's because Trump has a history of being racist. He has literally said blacks are inherently lazy. He has literally had an apartment complex discriminate against blacks for being black. His former senior political aide was an overt racist who called black children the n-word!

AND he's proposing to steal trillions in oil from Iraqi allies, AND he wants to ban Muslim immigration.

So yeah, Democrats do think Trump is legitimately racist, and polls show that 17% of his supporters openly believe that increased racial diversity in this country makes the country worse. Something only 3% of Clinton supporters believe.

Given the circumstances, Democrats are not going to hold Obama to the same standard they hold Trump to, because Obama has objectively set a higher standard than Trump.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I'll give you this: Obama shouldn't have said "African american vote" but just Democratic vote. He did make a mistake and gave Republicans like you political ammo to dream up some weird reverse racism claim.

But it should be obvious that he'd rather the black Republican vote just stay home in 2014. I mean, come on.
Great, so we agree, he shouldn't say things that could easily be interpreted as racist.

And I'm not a Republican, I'm a Libertarian, so your quote in the other post about holding people to different standards goes against my beliefs, EVERYONE should be held to the same standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies