Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times

Advertisements

Chicago does not have gun control because Chicago's jurisdiction ENDS at the Cook County line. A person can get all the firepower he needs by making a short drive to DuPage County or making a visit to Gary Indiana.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:04 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,192,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It worked in Australia. Now there will be a multitude of posts explaining why it worked there, but can't work here.

Gun Control in Australia

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/wo...-shooting.html

yeah right, it took firearms out of the hands of the law abiding citizen, but did nothing to get firearms out of the hands of criminals.

that is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Chicago does not have gun control because Chicago's jurisdiction ENDS at the Cook County line. A person can get all the firepower he needs by making a short drive to DuPage County or making a visit to Gary Indiana.
So why don't DuPage County and Gary Indiana have Chicago's murder rates?

Old 05-10-2016, 03:22 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We already infringe, what part of that don't you understand?
Yes we have...so not another inch.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You're right that I was wrong that it isn't "most", but the article you linked supports my position. Your article ends with:
Thank you.

MY position is to STOP the "swinging door" of our judicial system. The same criminals are arrested over and over.

They have rap sheets longer then your arm.

No more "you get a day off of your sentence for every good day you do"

Instead, ADD a day to your sentence for every BAD day you do.

When you are given 10 years, you DO 10 YEARS. No getting out for "good behavor"

Do NOT allow plea bargaining of gun laws. It is, in many cases, the FIRST thing plea bargained.

If you use a gun in a crime you get the maximize sentence AND YOU SEVE IT.

Our "penal", as in "PENALIZE", institutions DON"T "penalize" enough.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 AM

37,188 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Australia doesn't have that pesky second amendment.

Argument fails.
2A does not say what constitutes "arms". Various classifications ( fully auto weapons, explosives) are already tightly controlled. No great problem to add a few more to the list.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:25 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
2A does not say what constitutes "arms". Various classifications ( fully auto weapons, explosives) are already tightly controlled. No great problem to add a few more to the list.
It didn't work for Australia, but it will work here because...

Old 05-10-2016, 07:30 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
I believe the federal government could take many steps in lowering the amount of firearm related violence in this country if Congress were to pass an expansive mental health research and funding bill that would help push for the construction of more mental health institutions that could treat and house those who shouldn't be on the street in the first place.

I believe the National Instant Criminal Background Check System should be modernized and expanded as well.

If you are on the No Fly List I doubt you probably should be permitted to own a firearm though I do realize that many on this list are likely on it for unjust reasons so I wouldn't explicitly prohibit someone on this list from purchasing a firearm though I believe when purchasing a gun the seller must be able to find information on why you are on the list in the first place.

Congress should also pass a law permitting the open and concealed carry of handguns in every U.S. state either through a national permit becoming available or what I would do is make constitutional carry for handguns legal nationwide while allowing private businesses the right to prohibit the carrying of firearms.
Here in Missouri, we had institutions to house the mentally ill. The courts decided it was discrimination, so they were closed and many of those people now live on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies