Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,819,503 times

Advertisements

what the hell is hate speech? thought we had freedom of speech in this country, or did I read that part wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM

242 posts, read 192,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Nothing wrong with gay marriage.

It's just the only place that bigots can play these days, since the laws that prohibit hate speech do not protect gays the way those laws protect blacks, women, minorities, the aged, religion and nationality from hate speech.

Until the law is widened to protect gays from hate speech and acts of hate, we will hear how wrong it is, etc. All this crap coming from the mouths of Dobson, Robertson, the late Jerry Falwell, etc, is done SOLELY to raise money from gullible, bigoted people.

Historical parallel: There used to be LAWS in our nation prohibiting inter-racial marriage. Those laws were swept away decades ago, and once they were that form of bigotry ended. Bigotry against gays is about the last form of bigotry left to close down.
Yes, but I wonder if that will ever come about in our lifetime. It seems as though the anti-gay sentiment will take generations to finally subside.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:43 AM

26,160 posts, read 48,867,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
what the hell is hate speech? thought we had freedom of speech in this country, or did I read that part wrong?
Okay, act a moron and go paint a swastika on a synagogue or a black congregation's church and YOU will find out all about the laws on hate speech / acts and exactly what sort of "speech" you are NOT free to engage in.

BTW, "freedom of speech" is the constitutional right to criticize the government.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,128,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It has already been mentioned here before, but to those who have trouble absorbing information... marriage is not a "right."
Actually, yes, marriage is defined as a right. And at a few of us have cited Loving vs. Virginia again and again. What is your argument against the court case, since it defines marriage as a right?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,965,666 times
Quote:
It has already been mentioned here before, but to those who have trouble absorbing information... marriage is not a "right."
It sure is, according to the SCOTUS.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:33 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,965,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
We do not have 100% freedom of speech. Look it up.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,801,641 times
An old friend talked me out of being oppsed to Civil Unions with a solid arguement. Someone on another thread brought up the wording in the Loving v. case - so now I would have to legally say okay to GM (As long as the churches were protected from being sued for not wanting to perform them. Not doing so would seem to trample someone else's rights in order to benefit others'.) And just because (morally) I oppose GM - it doesn't make me a homophobe.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,942,725 times
I think a line has to be drawn somewhere. For me it is where we all have to redefine the institution of marriage. Homosexuality isn't evil, but it is an ALTERNATIVE lifestyle. There are consequences to living in an alternative fashion.

I just can't see how I can explain to my 5 year old that it doesn't matter a bit whether she marries a man or a woman. That it's no more of an issue than if she likes chocolate or vanilla. By passing this law, that is exactly what the government is conveying.

I'd love her all the same if she is gay, but I'd prefer if she wasn't. I'd prefer she grows up accepting people's differences but recognizing that the conventional marriage consists of a man and a woman.

In most ways, I'm fairly open-minded but this is going too far in my opinion.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 AM

24,491 posts, read 33,218,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
It sure is, according to the SCOTUS.
The subject has been mentioned before. Marriage is a privilege, not a right.
Those who wish to marry must be certain qualifications, such as being old enough. One must also apply for a marriage permit, just like as with a driver's license. Driving a car is not a right, and neither is marriage.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,128,418 times
Quote:
The subject has been mentioned before. Marriage is a privilege, not a right.
Those who wish to marry must be certain qualifications, such as being old enough. One must also apply for a marriage permit, just like as with a driver's license. Driving a car is not a right, and neither is marriage.
Yes, it comes with qualifications (like most everything?). But Loving vs. Virginia defines it as one of the "basic rights of man." Whether you personally agree or disagree doesn't change the fact that it is a court decision that has not yet been overturned. I don't really see it being overturned, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies