Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I have no problem with people keeping their definitions and fantasies to themselves. I briefly had a college roommate who referred to himself as Torquemada, for example. It's when the rest of us are expected to make accommodations which infringe on our own, and out culture's, definitions of standards and norms, especially in an area such as matrimony, that I draw the line.

You may do as you wish. Feel free, for example, to propose everlasting devotion to a cucumber sandwich and call it a commitment. I will continue to operate within the context of what marriage actually means, and state my opinions accordingly.
you're exactly right.. that is why the issue is being challenged.. because the culture has and is changing along with social norms in regards to relationships, and many states do not have clear definitions of marriage between a man and a woman...
with social change comes legislative change... if you want to stop gay marriage.. stop watching will and grace and tell your city council to outlaw gay bars and popculture...
I understand where you're coming from on the issue.. but while it might have a bit of substance still left today... the tide is turning more and more with those social standards changing...and what you claim to be the norm now..will not be in the future.. and then what is the case against allowing gays to marry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:50 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
It's when the rest of us are expected to make accommodations which infringe on our own, and out culture's, definitions of standards and norms, especially in an area such as matrimony, that I draw the line.
I'm sorry, but there is no "infringement" on your own ability to marry. That is a weak argument.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:52 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
Marriage creates for man and woman to make family and children . so gay marriage can not realize these things .
I know at least six same-sex couples with children...so i don't understand your point.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I know at least six same-sex couples with children...so i don't understand your point.
What point??
Children from gay marriage !!!!!!!!!!!!.how? from adaption maybe .

Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
What point??
Children from gay marriage !!!!!!!!!!!!.how? from adaption maybe .
Artificial insemination.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Artificial insemination.
I am sorry , I don't understand what do you mean?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
I am sorry , I don't understand what do you mean?
If it's a lesbian couple, they can copulate through artificial insemination. A gay couple can use a female friend who is willing to copulate to bear their child.

But, again, not everyone gets married for children.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:06 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Also, my next door neighbor and his husband (married in Canada 2005) have full custody of his kids from a previous heterosexual relationship.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm sorry, but there is no "infringement" on your own ability to marry. That is a weak argument.
he is stating that gay marriage is infringing on his cultural and social beliefs.. and making him adopt a culture that accepts it...
It is a weak argument.. because there are many things in our culture that people choose not to accept or have anything to do with..
Its just a silly argument all around.. and it really is rooted in only a few things... religion, bigotry, or traditionalism...
yeledaf does not expound much on where he gets his personal views on the issue... which is fine.. so for the sake of argument.. I'm going to assume he's just a traditionalist... saying something should be so.. because it has always been.. is not a logical reason... upon those beliefs we could make a case for slavery, or a number of other issues that have been a part of human culture and civilization for thousands of years...

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
I have no problem with people keeping their definitions and fantasies to themselves. I briefly had a college roommate who referred to himself as Torquemada, for example. It's when the rest of us are expected to make accommodations which infringe on our own, and out culture's, definitions of standards and norms, especially in an area such as matrimony, that I draw the line.

You may do as you wish. Feel free, for example, to propose everlasting devotion to a cucumber sandwich and call it a commitment. I will continue to operate within the context of what marriage actually means, and state my opinions accordingly.
Sounds like you see gays as second-class citizens. Straights do not have to make ANY "accomodations" - they wouldn't even be aware of gay people marrying, unless they happen to know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies