Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
No - you could have worked in some menial job, making less than a man who does the same job. Of course the latter part still applies today. Women STILL make less money than a man for doing the same job. How odd.

You would have had no say in government, no vote and very little freedom. If you were unfortunate enough to have a husband who beat you, there would have been little you could have done about it. You would probably have inherited his money though so I guess the rest is all ok with you.

Quick question; Do you vote? Or do you leave such important things in the hands of your husband?
What do you mean "very little freedom"? I still have no say in government and neither do you, wake up. For most women who are beaten by their husbands now there is very little they can do about it.

Yes, the "women make less money than men" argument. Of course they do, most women take years out of their career to birth children and take care of them. They're also more likely to DELIBERATELY choose jobs with less responsibility so they can take care of their family. The jobs that women choose historically do not pay as well as the jobs men choose; you can't compare apples and oranges.

Independent Women's Forum - Gender Wage Gap Is Feminist Fiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
I don't see a sizeable portion of America demanding gay marriage either, just a very loud minority. In the 2000 census 0.7% were gay men, there is a larger percentage of Native Americans than of gay men...homosexuals made up only 1.02% of the population.

Yes, you choose your sexual behavior. I didn't know there was a membership form I had to sign to be a part of "the heteros". It's a behavior, saying that someone is born that way is as ridiculous as stating that someone is born to be a liar, a thief, a drug addict, a workoholic, a philanthropist, a priest, or a President. We all have choices in life, sexual behavior is just one of many that we make.
There is scientific evidence that homosexuality occurs in all kinds of species, humans included. It isn't a choice. It's they way they are born. You wouldn't understand it because you were born with an attraction to the opposite sex. Then again, I can't even understand it from their view, because I could never imagine not liking women and liking men.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
For you that may be fine. I prefer to stand along side my husband as an equal. I think the most important role of a wife is to be an equal, supportive partner to her husband and expect the same in return. No matter if you are looking after kids, or working.
A man is just as capable of making sure a family is taken care of as a woman.
And why do you assume that my husband is incapable of taking care of our family? We are each others closest confidantes and best friends. We never make a decision without consulting the other...but standing behind him does not mean we are not equal in each others eyes.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
There is scientific evidence that homosexuality occurs in all kinds of species, humans included. It isn't a choice. It's they way they are born. You wouldn't understand it because you were born with an attraction to the opposite sex. Then again, I can't even understand it from their view, because I could never imagine not liking women and liking men.
Right, because it isn't someones choice if they are a drug addict either. "They were BORN that way, it's an addictive gene!" Give me a break.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,487 times
Quote:
What do you mean "very little freedom"? I still have no say in government and neither do you, wake up. For most women who are beaten by their husbands now there is very little they can do about it.

Yes, the "women make less money than men" argument. Of course they do, most women take years out of their career to birth children and take care of them. They're also more likely to DELIBERATELY choose jobs with less responsibility so they can take care of their family. The jobs that women choose historically do not pay as well as the jobs men choose; you can't compare apples and oranges.

Independent Women's Forum - Gender Wage Gap Is Feminist Fiction
I still have no say in government and neither do you, wake up.

I mean having a vote is actually extremely important. All citizens should have an equal vote. So answer the question; Do you vote?

For most women who are beaten by their husbands now there is very little they can do about it.

Er, WHAT are you talking about?

They're also more likely to DELIBERATELY choose jobs with less responsibility so they can take care of their family.

Really? Maybe women like YOU deliberately choose jobs with less reponsibility. Thankfully many of the women I grew up around and had as role models and the women I know now have equal status in the work place to that of their men.

I am not talking about a woman secretary earning less than her boss. I am talking about two equal level workers, one male, one female, doing the same job. For some inexplicable reason one gets paid more than the other. Why? I have no idea. It makes no sense at all, and needs to stop.

Any man worth his salt will want a wife who is his equal, not some inferior partner who 'stands behind him'. Yuck.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
And why do you assume that my husband is incapable of taking care of our family? We are each others closest confidantes and best friends. We never make a decision without consulting the other...but standing behind him does not mean we are not equal in each others eyes.
You stated that your job is to stand behind your husband and look after the family. If your husband would make a good stay at home Dad while you go to work as the bread winner, then more power to him.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Right, because it isn't someones choice if they are a drug addict either. "They were BORN that way, it's an addictive gene!" Give me a break.
Could you at least TRY to submit arguments that make some sense? Saying that being gay is the same as being a drug addict is offensive. You've also mentioned animals. I mean come on - we're meant to be able to take your arguments seriously?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
Sexual preference is something that happens in your mind before you even know what it is.

Drug use is something you learn about..

Your comparison was weak.

How do you explain this then? Three subjects were tested. A straight male, a straight female, and a gay male. All three of them were exposed to testosterone (the male hormone), but they didn't know what it was. The results were:

The straight man showed no reaction..

The straight female and gay male both became aroused.

How does that happen when they don't know what they're being exposed to? Coincidence? Yeah right.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I still have no say in government and neither do you, wake up.

I mean having a vote is actually extremely important. All citizens should have an equal vote. So answer the question; Do you vote?

For most women who are beaten by their husbands now there is very little they can do about it.

Er, WHAT are you talking about?

They're also more likely to DELIBERATELY choose jobs with less responsibility so they can take care of their family.

Really? Maybe women like YOU deliberately choose jobs with less reponsibility. Thankfully many of the women I grew up around and had as role models and the women I know now have equal status in the work place to that of their men.

I am not talking about a woman secretary earning less than her boss. I am talking about two equal level workers, one male, one female, doing the same job. For some inexplicable reason one gets paid more than the other. Why? I have no idea. It makes no sense at all, and needs to stop.

Any man worth his salt will want a wife who is his equal, not some inferior partner who 'stands behind him'. Yuck.
I feel for all of you who have been so misguided that you actually don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Standing behind your husband does not mean that you are inferior, it does not mean that your husband thinks you to be inferior either.

Please show me a study that compares apples to apples then I'll listen...any study I have seen compares income in aggregate among different professions.

So you now attack my female rolemodels? My mother was the Vice President of an Insurance company in 1980, please don't lecture me about role models and the income gap. I had wonderful women rolemodels growing up...from my mother to my great-grandmother (who opened her own business in 1930). They were all very intelligent, creative, and caring women. They also believed in "standing behind your man" and showed me through actions that taking care of your family and raising children was one of the most selfless and loving things one could do in life.

To keep in line with the thread and ON TOPIC - I know many gays that share this same view of marriage :-P

Last edited by MamaBee; 03-12-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I feel for all of you who have been so misguided that you actually don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Standing behind your husband does not mean that you are inferior, it does not mean that your husband thinks you to be inferior either.

Please show me a study that compares apples to apples then I'll listen...any study I have seen compares income in aggregate among different professions.

So you now attack my female rolemodels? My mother was the Vice President of an Insurance company in 1980, please don't lecture me about role models and the income gap. I had wonderful women rolemodels growing up...from my mother to my great-grandmother (who opened her own business in 1930). They were all very intelligent, creative, and caring women. They also believed in "standing behind your man" and showed me through actions that taking care of your family and raising children was one of the most selfless and loving things one could do in life.
Thank you for 'feeling for me'. I appreciate it. Really.

Where did I attack your role models? I was talking about MY role models. I don't know you - just as you don't know me. I'm sure your female family members are lovely. If your Mother as a VP of an insurance company, was paid the same as a man in the same role, then fine. I would be surprised if that were the case however. It isn't normally.

Many women don't want to raise children. Or have better paying jobs than their husbands, so the husbands can stay home and raise children.

My husband and I are DINKS and happy to stay that way (well HE wants to stay that way, and I'm not sure).

We stand side by side as equals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies