Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The "just because it is" argument. "It's wrong because it's immoral, and it's immoral because it's wrong." Pointless and redundant or not, I asked that specifically to see if I'd get that response. I'm just cool like that.

I'm done here, at least for awhile, as I guess I have 85 pages of back-and-forth to read.
Good. I suggest you do read the last 85 or so pages because there has been a lot more posted than "just because."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

20 posts, read 38,582 times
Riiight...
the whole argument is a "Just because", its like a little kid not wanting to take his medicine without even knowing how it taste... how is ACCEPTING and NOT BEING PREJUDICE a bad thing? giving EVERYONE the SAME RIGHTS is how it has to be!
Consequences come with every action, and you have to take the good with the bad, and ultimatly if divorce rates go up then they do because people(all people hetero+Homo) make it so...but in the end wouldnt you be proud of yourself for doing what is right and allowing the world to be a less prejudice and accepting place, instead of going along with some church mob mentality...
marriage is between 2 people and NOONE ELSE. everything else is just an EXCUSE!
so take personal responsibilty and stop blaming the easiest target for everything that is wrong with the world.
If you dont like people having EQUAL Rights and the right to be happy like everyone else than your more 'wrong' than you claim any Homosexual is...

Last edited by Masterrabbit; 05-19-2008 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Well said Masterrabbit. Welcome to City data. The only way to stop judging is to stop judging.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Well said Masterrabbit. Welcome to City data. The only way to stop judging is to stop judging.
From where, and upon what premise, comes the notion that no one has a right to make personal value judgements? Whether morally, ethicially, or whatever?

Just on the surface of things and common sense, it would stand to reason that if we stopped making judgements, then the whole criminal justice system -- particularly trial by jury -- would fall apart. But regardless, my experience is that those who disdain the notion of judgement calls are the most judgemental of all. It judges others because they have the guts to make judgements based on something more solid than moral relativism.

Masterrabbit made the "judgement" that others are "wrong" when they don't accept a particular concept of "equality." You make one yourself when you judge those who have the inner fortitude to judge! And this can regress and regress. Point is, we ALL make judgement calls everyday and according to our own belief systems. Those who claim to righteously be above such only set themselves up get their bluff called.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM

^ more blah blah..... think whatever you want to make yourself feel better. Call my bluff all you want because there isnt gonna be a reaction because there is no bluff, im not a good poker player for that reason(I say it how it is), im not good at bluffing( but i bet you are ). The truth is the truth, regardless of how much Blah you try to cover it up with. Equality is Equality<---any other variation isnt Equality just a poor excuse for it...oh and i never said not to judge, cause im judging you right now(and you my friend are Guilty of being nothing but a prejudice(aka belief sytem is to blame...yeah right) person with a big vocabulary).

Old 05-19-2008, 03:11 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,629 times
I don't believe there is anything wrong with gay marriage. It does not bother me, I have gay friends and I love and support them. Its not raising my taxes or bothering me...so funny how people cry about this. Cry about all those deductions in your salaries to support all these kids people are having that can not afford them. Now I find THAT highly offensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterrabbit View Post
^ more blah blah..... think whatever you want to make yourself feel better. Call my bluff all you want because there isnt gonna be a reaction because there is no bluff, im not a good poker player for that reason(I say it how it is), im not good at bluffing( but i bet you are ). The truth is the truth, regardless of how much Blah you try to cover it up with. Equality is Equality<---any other variation isnt Equality just a poor excuse for it...oh and i never said not to judge, cause im judging you right now(and you my friend are Guilty of being nothing but a prejudice(aka belief sytem is to blame...yeah right) person with a big vocabulary).
Well, at LEAST you are honest enough (once all this inarticulate babble you write is translated) to admit you are judgmental. For that reason alone, I extend you kudoes and contratulations!

Of course, I DO note that you accused me of being "guilty" of being "prejudice"...but not sure what sin I have committed by the standards of your own vision. Seem like that I have fallen short of acccepting your standard that all lifestyles are morally equal...? And that a failure to do so means I reject any other definition of "equality"?

Sorry..but you will have to explain a bit more!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM

^ I explained enough in my first post, whether its even visible to your eyes still comes into question...

Old 05-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterrabbit View Post
^ I explained enough in my first post, whether its even visible to your eyes still comes into question...
I suppose. LOL

But yeah, maybe the fact your post came across to me as inarticulate, incoherent, and run-on, might reflect on my own inability to comprehend a position which judges, yet originally condemns judging! *Whew* Hey, what can I say? I call 'em as I see 'em!

Truly, about all I got out of it was some angry and confused notion of that if one doesn't accept "equality" as having limits in the social and political realm, then THAT individual must be a lesser man than thee! Something like that...?

Ok..whatever! Time to call it an evening. You can get in the last word for tonight...!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-19-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 PM

funny how you talk about me being inarticulate...because i never claimed i was(just like i never condemned judging), but theres something to be said about an Adult as yourself not being able to comprehend the simplest of ideas...and you may be right...people who cant accept true eqaulity may be lesser men then those who do. Thanks for the ARTICULATE(actually you sound like a pirate doing a cowboy impersonation) response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies