Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 10:22 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,530,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Are you willing to fix the root problem is the question? Do you want to invest in things that prevent teen pregnancy (which has gone down significantly btw), allow more education and job training, provide services for those that are in need?
You're speaking as if such services don't already exist. Who's fault is it that these people choose not to utilize and take advantage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,609,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
You're speaking as if such services don't already exist. Who's fault is it that these people choose not to utilize and take advantage?
No they don't exist as much as they should. From an educational stand point, you need to get to at risk kids, well before they get to school. And vocational education has sadly been removed or de-emphasized from most high schools.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:24 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,411,191 times
Quote:
I've actually been in that situation and don't believe in forced integration/diversity. But we are talking about Section 8 housing and my point is why should one community have to take them and not the other? And sorry, some of the comments on the thread are flat out racist.
Because it drives down the value of the area and people who paid a good amount for their properties shouldn't have to suffer the falling values just because others want to wreck the place or bring in crime. Put section 8 where the values are already equal to it.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,411,191 times
Quote:
No they don't exist as much as they should. From an educational stand point, you need to get to at risk kids, well before they get to school.
That's the parent's responsibility not mine.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
poor people are the ones that need to stop blaming their problems on non poor people. They need to take control of their own direction in life.
Sounds to me like you've never met anyone poor. The ones I deal with take forever to ask for help because of pride and wanting to be self-reliant. Given that most poor people are in cities (around here, old factory cities) that have been devastated by moved away businesses that left a huge eyesore and dangerous environmental mess, good job opportunities are sparse.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
That's the parent's responsibility not mine.
But it doesn't always happen. So what are you going to do? Let that kid suffer and potentially carry on the same cycle? How does that help?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM

39,024 posts, read 27,423,093 times
Quote:
. But we are talking about Section 8 housing and my point is why should one community have to take them and not the other?.
Is it democracy to force landlords to rent their beautiful houses to section 8 tenants? Look, by no means, am I suggesting all section 8 tenants are bad, but some people don't feel comfortable to rent to section 8 tenants. You said yourself that you don't like to force diversity.

In the US, mixed housing developments aren't working for low-income families

In the US, mixed housing developments aren't working for low-income families | CityMetric

Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 AM

18,407 posts, read 7,032,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3001 View Post
Classism is almost always confused as racism, especially in today's for-profit, "everything's racist" culture. Almost no one has a problem living in the same neighborhoods as Black folks, or their kids attending the same schools, playing on the same sports teams, dating, etc. It's poor Black, ghetto people that no one wants moving into their neighborhood or schools. Successful Black folks who live in the suburbs don't want the Section-8 crowd moving into their areas either.
Bingo!

I live in a suburban neighborhood.

The family across the street from me is black. They are very nice people, they keep their home and yard very well maintained, they are quiet and don't bother anyone and are a welcome addition to the neighborhood as far as I'm concerned.

In contrast: The "family" behind me is Hispanic and are the very picture of stereotypical illegal aliens as far as there presence in the neighborhood goes.
They are loud, inconsiderate, their home and yard look a mess and there are constantly people coming and going with an average of six to eight vehicles in their driveway and or on their lawn at any given time.

Everyone in the neighborhood wishes they'd move out.....including the black family.

Race and racism have nothing to do with it.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM

1,737 posts, read 950,413 times
I think all government housing assistance, section 8, food stamps, welfare payments, etc, should all be rolled into one monthly subsidy to a debit card issued to qualified recipients. Let them decide how they should spend it- rent, food, or anything else. I think we should stop micromanaging the poor and trying to be their nanny and let them take responsibility for the results. Will there be abuse? Of course there will be, but there already is abuse of the system. It would be much easier to administer and would eliminate government sponsored social engineering.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Because it drives down the value of the area and people who paid a good amount for their properties shouldn't have to suffer the falling values just because others want to wreck the place or bring in crime. Put section 8 where the values are already equal to it.
Hahaha. I'm not surprised your property values are more important than anyone else's. I've owned several homes both in a city and a small town. Property values come and go and it should have nothing to do with your happiness and fulfillment in life. If having a place for poor people to live is second to your property values, you evaluate your personal values. I know problems come with section 8 housing that need to be addressed -around here, they are dividing it up so not all section 8 is in one area. But you can't address it if you just avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies