Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Really? Way back in the day when us "Irish" moved into an area; the "free people of color" many times moved OUT. That's right: we were the "N words" way too many times; till we started acting civilized as a group, "No Irish Need Apply" was for real.

Does THAT make people racist or being careful, you decide.
If you're assuming you're in danger because of a skin color, it makes you prejudiced. As for the whole Irish/Italian/whoever was treated and perceived badly game...were any of those immigrants legally discriminated against and segregated from the rest of American society??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
For the person who left me a reputation and the following comment - show yourself:

"Are you a Mod or do you just fancy yourself as a CD policeman? Stop telling people the can't post. It's not up to you."

Now to answer the question - you're too afraid to approach me with - I am not a Mod but I do get sick and tired of others preaching to me and calling us racist - just because we look at situations differently. I 've worked in diverse areas my entire life as well as have friends of all ethnicities but I also am more cautious today then I was 40 years ago in my liberal days when I preached and believed the same rhetoric you do.

If the above poster for who I addressed lived in a more diverse area where she had 1st hand experience - let her tell her tell us her experiences but to brow beat the rest of us because we disagree is wrong. So sorry to tell it like it is.
Most people mellow out with age. So you've gone from one political extreme to the other? Sounds like you are easily mislead or just short of critical thinking skills. If you can't make up your mind and/or can't dig down deep on issues to figure out why you think what you do, then please don't preach at all.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Are you willing to fix the root problem is the question? Do you want to invest in things that prevent teen pregnancy (which has gone down significantly btw), allow more education and job training, provide services for those that are in need?
You mean invest in the family? Encourage people to go to church and have faith in God? Teach a man his responsibilities on this Earth? Because the lack of that is 100% to blame for this disaster.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Older persons who accumulate wealth like wealthy neighborhoods and they are usually more likely to be white. Why care about it? There are city wealthy areas where there is more mix. Love and let live.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You mean invest in the family? Encourage people to go to church and have faith in God? Teach a man his responsibilities on this Earth? Because the lack of that is 100% to blame for this disaster.
You can be a good moral person without having to go to church or believe in God. But I have to ask - you think black people don't go to church????

Old 05-10-2016, 10:04 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
If you're assuming you're in danger because of a skin color, it makes you prejudiced. As for the whole Irish/Italian/whoever was treated and perceived badly game...were any of those immigrants legally discriminated against and segregated from the rest of American society??
Yes to both of your statements\questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-I...t#20th_century

Pretty much every racial group has been on the bottom of the sh*t heap at one time or another if you know your history.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:15 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Uh, no. Busing happened in the 70s which caused some white flight, but it had been going on long before that. That's actually how suburbs were created. Look up William Levitt.

Regardless, it didn't have anything to do with "rich whites" fleeing per the post that I was replying to.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes to both of your statements\questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-I...t#20th_century

Pretty much every racial group has been on the bottom of the sh*t heap at one time or another if you know your history.
Know your countries - we're talking about America here. And know the difference between sentiment and legality. My grandparents were immigrants from Ireland and Italy - they didn't endure separate water fountains and lynchings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Regardless, it didn't have anything to do with "rich whites" fleeing per the post that I was replying to.
Ok. But it did pertain to middle class and upper middle class whites. Blacks were rejected if they applied for the town.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I never understood why "white flight" is a bad thing. Let them fly and in return build up your own communities like everyone else does. The asians do it. The middle easterners do it. The jews do it. etc.. Why can't the blacks do it, rather than sitting back and complaining about it.

When I say "blacks", I'm referring to many of the blacks who were born/raised here in the states. Those from the Caribbean, Africa and West Indies seem to assimilate very well and become productive members of society. Many of them are very hard working and build their own businesses.

And to be honest, It's not even a race issue. Its a culture issue. The problem is, many young black males tend to take on a "thug/hip hop" culture and try and emulate what many of these rappers are rapping about. They care more about the latest Jordans than education. They want all the flash and pizzazz without having to put in the time and effort towards building a career for themselves. They want the quick buck and in return turn to crime or becoming "aspiring rappers". Same applies for many hispanics and whites. Where I come from though, I see many blacks following this culture more so than any other ethnicity. It's these same people who save up to buy a Mercedes yet won't save up to start a business or move out of public housing projects!

Old 05-11-2016, 06:38 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
You can be a good moral person without having to go to church or believe in God. But I have to ask - you think black people don't go to church????
Only if you care about your soul. And no, I do not believe that the black feral teens running around impregnating 20+ female feral teens are going to church. Not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies