Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 06:56 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
No it's about job discrimination. Check out statistics of harvard graduates between blacks and whites. The black UE is higher. I know first hand which cities it'd be easier for me to get a job, its easier for me to get a corporate job in dc, chicago, or atlanta as a black man because blacks before me have already broken the barrier. LA and Denver it is extremely hard to get on par employment as a black man with a high gpa from a top 50 college with a stem major. This is because there are few blacks who have broken down the door in the overwhelmingly white cities.
Mmmhmm...and people don't really know that unless they are in professional circles.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:46 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
No it's about job discrimination. Check out statistics of harvard graduates between blacks and whites. The black UE is higher. I know first hand which cities it'd be easier for me to get a job, its easier for me to get a corporate job in dc, chicago, or atlanta as a black man because blacks before me have already broken the barrier. LA and Denver it is extremely hard to get on par employment as a black man with a high gpa from a top 50 college with a stem major. This is because there are few blacks who have broken down the door in the overwhelmingly white cities.
What? Liberal-land CA doesn't embrace Black professionals?

Shouldn't that be telling you something?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is nonsense. Life is not a serious of rational choices, not for anyone.
A life worth living is PRECISELY a series of rational choices. A life that doesn't matter is the alternative. What separates man from dumb animals is that he is rational. And able to make rational choices. Men that choose not to use that faculty condemn themselves to chaos, confusion, destruction, despair, and self-detestation. And we see exactly that in action all around us.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:43 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
A life worth living is PRECISELY a series of rational choices. A life that doesn't matter is the alternative. What separates man from dumb animals is that he is rational. And able to make rational choices. Men that choose not to use that faculty condemn themselves to chaos, confusion, destruction, despair, and self-detestation. And we see exactly that in action all around us.

Dark Enlightenment is on the alternative right. They don't believe in any concept of free will, and that morality is a result of genetics. Hence, the alternative right really are in love with the idea of race realism. Their philosophical origins are not really all that different from facist.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to the bold, that information would be difficult to produce due to there not being many published statistics that show how many have _______ negative activity occur and how many have _________ positive activity occur. And this is for all demographics of single parent raised persons, not just black or white.

I do remember another thread here some time ago, I may do a search for it, where someone posted that children of single parents were more likely to deal with depression and/or mental health issues and when reviewing the data it showed that only 2% of children of single parents dealt with those issues. They also did not state whether or not the child was being reared in a single parent home as a result of divorce or of being born out of wedlock.

I feel we really do need to critically think about what all these "at-risk" articles about single parenting are really pushing in consideration of the statistical trends that we see over the past 30-40 years.

My premise of the post of which you responded is basically - if single parenting is the cause of all of these woes, why have none of those woes increased during the past 30-40 years since out of wedlock births in particular have increase to a great degree, especially amongst the white population, who is the majority.

If single parenting were the cause, whites would be doing MUCH worse than they are right now. They are not, so single parenting is not a direct cause of "failure" in one's lives.

But FWIW, I do feel that married couples do better financially than single parents. This is basically because I know that most households today have 1-2 working adults. If people are married, both of their incomes would count towards their household income and that would decrease poverty.

I also feel that many co-habiting couples, both black and white and other demographics don't get married because they don't want to lose their tax benefits (getting their "refund") or benefits associated with healthcare and other social welfare programs. They have a "boyfriend/girlfriend" many times living with them and helping with the household, but because those people are not married, only one of the parents (usually the mother) income is taken into account so their household shows up as impoverished on paper when they really are not.

However, as stated above, I know that this is not just a "black" American phenomenon. I worked in the public sector for many years, including in areas with varied population statistics demographically and all demographics do this in todays day and age IMO.

"]In regards to the bold, that information would be difficult to produce due to there not being many published statistics that show how many have _______ negative activity occur and how many have _________ positive activity occur"

B.S.

We DO know the number of black children in a 1 parent home.

We DO know the graduation rate of blacks.

We DO know the number of white children in a 1 parent home.

We DO know the graduation rate of whites.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
My point is the same.

You will NOT get a good job, if one at all, if you DON'T get at a minimum of a high school diploma.

I know this is few years old but informative anyway.

"Graduation rates vary greatly by state and race. Nationwide, black students graduated at a rate of 69 percent; Hispanics graduated at 73 percent; whites graduated at a rate of 86 percent."

State High School Graduation Rates By Race, Ethnicity

Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
truth hurts, doesn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only on City-Data is this epic cop out as oft repeated and documented. I was 55 y.o. when I signed up for a C-D userid and up until then could have counted on one hand the number of times I heard this defense for the atrocity of Slavery. Since my years here have rolled along I have heard it dozens and dozens of times. It just gets better. Now you are saying that representitives of West African slave traders advertised their wares to European Colonists and convinced them to use "Use African!" for their North American agriculture experiments. But how the Boko Haram kidnappings represent slavery and not terrorism or war crimes or even genocide, I have no idea. I mean that's what atrocities like that would be considered if they happened to any other group. The Japanese captured hundreds of women to use as comfort women for their forces in WWII. Was that called Slavery? The root of the problem is a dominant culture in America that is still unwilling to OWN its part in the creation and maintenance of an Apartheid System in America that oppresses black people. That is the source. Any ideas?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"]In regards to the bold, that information would be difficult to produce due to there not being many published statistics that show how many have _______ negative activity occur and how many have _________ positive activity occur"

B.S.

We DO know the number of black children in a 1 parent home.

We DO know the graduation rate of blacks.

We DO know the number of white children in a 1 parent home.

We DO know the graduation rate of whites.
On the bold, you do not know the number of black children in a 1 parent home.

Nor do you know the number of white children in a 1 parent home due to people shacking up and co-habiting and not getting married, like I stated earlier.

I was born to a single mother. She and my dad lived together but were not married for 8 years (ironically, they later married when I was an adult lol). So I didn't go home to a 1 parent home. Statistics shows I did when I didn't.

In regards to graduation rates, the graduation rates for black kids over the past 5-10 years is almost even to that of whites. Black females in particular over the past 2-3 years have graduated at the same rate as white American high schoolers.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM

371 posts, read 425,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I would like to see the statistics broken down into single parent and 2 parents.

I agree that black families have achieved what you posted.

I am not sure if the single parent family does as well.
To the poster who you were responding to: Success of a child and success being categorozed by what socioeconomic class they end up in, actually has nothing to do with 1 or 2 parent households. I watch a documentary on poverty that spoke about high divorce rates in middle states and poverty in predom black states, it was a doc about income ineqaulity, and it stated that the class of the mother has more of a bearing on the child than single mothership... When you look closely this is true, because if the single mother has resources to fill the kid's time with activities then, the child doesn't know what it's like to grow up without a father. Yup just shut down 2 pages of white supremacy nonsense. Next.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,751,473 times
Every group has these problems. Win on your own terms not somebody else's terms. African Americans are becoming a more diverse group as immigrants From all over the world intermarry with them. In a few years white nationalists will want to go back to the good old days when African Americans were economically dysfunctional and unable to compete .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.