Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Drop the African and become Americans. You can't pay allegiance to two countries at the same time.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Drop the African and become Americans. You can't pay allegiance to two countries at the same time.
By that logic, quit calling yourself White. We can't call ourselves African-Americans, but there is no issue in naming "Black crime". Stupid logic in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM
NCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1) African-Americans have been making gains over the last 45 years. More Blacks in the middle class, getting college degrees, more Black millionaires and billionaires than ever.

2) No one asks Jews to "get over the Holocaust". We have museums dedicated to the Holocaust, and as well we should. For this reason, you cannot tell African-Americans to "get over it".
You can't move on if you don't get over it. I am trying to remember the Jewish lady who wrote a book about this. I will find it.

Corrie Ten Boom who wrote THE HIDING PLACE.

Last edited by NCN; 05-27-2016 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You can't move on if you don't get over it. I am trying to remember the Jewish lady who wrote a book about this. I will find it.
No one tells Jews to "get over it". No one tells people to get over anything, other than Blacks. You don't tell me what I should get over.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
1) African-Americans have been making gains over the last 45 years. More Blacks in the middle class, getting college degrees, more Black millionaires and billionaires than ever.

2) No one asks Jews to "get over the Holocaust". We have museums dedicated to the Holocaust, and as well we should. For this reason, you cannot tell African-Americans to "get over it".
The big difference is that the Jews don't talk obsessively about the Holocaust or hold angry demonstrations holding signs JLM.

I have a good number of black and Jewish friends and associates, and the Jewish people I know don't play the J card or get all touchy about their past. What's in their Holocaust museums, stays in the museums. BTW once a year, I work a Passover dinner for a client, and it has always seemed to me that AA should have a yearly family meal and gathering to remember their slave roots and then for the rest of the year move forward and work to uplift themselves.

And yes, the AA need to get over it and move on. Non-blacks just don't have anymore sympathy for their past. No one likes complainers looking for free handouts.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:41 PM
NCN

Quote:
By that logic, quit calling yourself White. We can't call ourselves African-Americans, but there is no issue in naming "Black crime". Stupid logic in my opinion.
I agree with you that our government needs to start calling all of us Americans. Some day I am going to get one of those DNA tests that tells what my ancestral makeup is. I will be very surprised if I find any Italian, Chinese, etc. in mine but black, American Indian, Blue-blooded European would be no surprise to me. I am pretty sure it is all there. I'm a mutt.

And FYI, crime is crime.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:43 PM
NCN

Quote:
No one tells Jews to "get over it". No one tells people to get over anything, other than Blacks. You don't tell me what I should get over.
Your choice, of course. Keep the hatred going and see if I care. I am very thankful that my Cherokee great, great, grandmother married a white man. I prefer living where I do to living on a reservation. I consider myself privileged to have had loving Christian parents and grandparents. All our ancestors have paid a cost to bring us to where we are now.

I have always wondered if there are any black people who are thankful that their parents were brought to this country rather than stay in a country where one tribe would sell another tribe into slavery. You cannot buy something that is not for sale. It was a black slave owner in America that changed his slave from a timed ownership to a permanent slave through the court system. Don't blame that on the white man. All slaves were freed a long time ago. They started out with nothing. My parents did too. My father went from a sharecropper to owning 170 acres in two farms in one lifetime and never blamed anyone he started out poor. Our life is up to us as to what we do with it. You can make excuses or make a good life for yourself. It's a choice.

Last edited by NCN; 05-27-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The big difference is that the Jews don't talk obsessively about the Holocaust or hold angry demonstrations holding signs JLM.

I have a good number of black and Jewish friends and associates, and the Jewish people I know don't play the J card or get all touchy about their past. What's in their Holocaust museums, stays in the museums. BTW once a year, I work a Passover dinner for a client, and it has always seemed to me that AA should have a yearly family meal and gathering to remember their slave roots and then for the rest of the year move forward and work to uplift themselves.

And yes, the AA need to get over it and move on. Non-blacks just don't have anymore sympathy for their past. No one likes complainers looking for free handouts.
No,but there are alot of museums dedicated to the Holocaust. Personally, I don't care if you have any sympathy or not. No one tells me what to get over and what not to get over. All I have to do is get my college education, get a good job, and not commit crimes. I'm already doing my part. Blacks have always been the most looked down on group in America, from day one, so I'm not surprised many people don't care.

I notice something else. Saying nasty things about Blacks might catch some ire, but if one criticizes Jews, you might find yourself in far worse trouble. Personally, I think Jews do a pretty good job standing up for themselves. No, I don't see much of a JLM. However, go look up something about the Skokie incident. I've noticed this. One is far less likely to fly a Nazi flag in a Jewish neighborhood than they are to fly a Confederate flag in a Black neighborhood. Jews don't have to do "Jewish Lives Matter". They have other ways of holding people accountable for shenanigans against them. I notice Don Imus and Paula Deen have no problem finding work after their shenanigans towards Blacks. Gwyneth Paltrow can still get roles despite using the N word in her tweet. Machine Gun Kelly can make openly racist remarks about Black women on the BET Red Carpet Awards, and he doesn't get much backlash. Mel Gibson gets Blacklisted in Hollywood for Anti-Semitic remarks.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Your choice, of course. Keep the hatred going and see if I care.
I never said I hated anyone. I said no one gets to decide what I should "get over". Based on the number of Confederate flags I see flying where I live, some people haven't gotten over the Civil War.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:05 PM
NCN

Quote:
I never said I hated anyone. I said no one gets to decide what I should "get over". Based on the number of Confederate flags I see flying where I live, some people haven't gotten over the Civil War.
My history teacher taught us it was good for the South that we lost. I don't think I have ever owned a confederate flag but it is not a symbol of hate. It is a way of remembering our ancestors. We should all be proud of our ancestors. Black people should be proud their ancestors were strong enough to survive in sometimes difficult circumstances. Not all slaves were mistreated though. I worked with a girl whose ancestors were one of the first land owners in our state. They were given the land and freedom by their owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies