Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:36 AM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
It's a start
I've seen it. And watching the miniseries called Roots when I was in third grade had a big impact on me. It was the first time I had even learned that black people were slaves at one point. I thought it was awful what they went through, but I didn't feel guilty because some white people 150 year ago did something I never did. I think it's good to remember though, because it's history and history can repeat itself.

So always remember, but don't let it hold you back. Remember the good that has happened since the end of segregation. Honor the black president, the many doctors, lawyers, astronauts, scientists, engineers, teachers, and artists that have thrived since the end of Jim Crow. Honor the culture that has produced so much innovation in the arts. Black people have a lot to be proud of, and much of it is happening right now.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research about past oppressed groups and there is a common theme: they uphold and know everything about their oppression. I've noticed...African-Americans are the opposite. There is a discourse in America that states, "if you don't think about it, it will die off." I believe this discourse is untrue.

I was watching a documentary the other day and it ws about jazz and the black musicians never got along, but when they did, it was, "amazing." He said in the Af. American community, since after slavery, when we are told to do something we do the exact opposite because we are mad (and have a burden) and don't like to be told what to do, so we do the opposite, and this mentaility has carried with us, even after the shackles were broken. I thought to myself, "that's the problem and I see it in many."

That being said, as African Americans, in order to propel to the fullest extent, economically, we need to indulge in our history as slaves. We need to uphold it, and talk about it any chance that we get. We need to know that Wachovia bank, and now Wells Fargo (and all the other pro diversity companies) had the largest amounts of slaves. We need to love and worship harriet tubman, soujourner truth and others. We need to know exactly what happened, why, how, when. We need to first be scholars in slavery, then we wil start to understand that slavery was a world wide institution. It was purely economics at first, and later became a social entity.

An example, the Jews. They know their oppression to the fullest extent, and now, though it took 2000 years, they are living well with dignity and pride. Af. Americans need to change the discourse to revolve around slavery. Slavery as an instituion was negative, but atleast the blood-line is still alive.

Furthermore, I open this discussion to talk about any and all things related to slavery, the good, the bad and the neutral.

Using force never accomplishes the intended goal. Using government as the force, causes so much resentment, I personally do not think there will be a peaceful settlement to the issues the government keeps perpetuating.

Education works better than force ever has. It was getting there in baby steps and then Government stepped in and started using force. It has only gone downhill from there.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research about past oppressed groups and there is a common theme: they uphold and know everything about their oppression. I've noticed...African-Americans are the opposite. There is a discourse in America that states, "if you don't think about it, it will die off." I believe this discourse is untrue.

I was watching a documentary the other day and it ws about jazz and the black musicians never got along, but when they did, it was, "amazing." He said in the Af. American community, since after slavery, when we are told to do something we do the exact opposite because we are mad (and have a burden) and don't like to be told what to do, so we do the opposite, and this mentaility has carried with us, even after the shackles were broken. I thought to myself, "that's the problem and I see it in many."

That being said, as African Americans, in order to propel to the fullest extent, economically, we need to indulge in our history as slaves. We need to uphold it, and talk about it any chance that we get. We need to know that Wachovia bank, and now Wells Fargo (and all the other pro diversity companies) had the largest amounts of slaves. We need to love and worship harriet tubman, soujourner truth and others. We need to know exactly what happened, why, how, when. We need to first be scholars in slavery, then we wil start to understand that slavery was a world wide institution. It was purely economics at first, and later became a social entity.

An example, the Jews. They know their oppression to the fullest extent, and now, though it took 2000 years, they are living well with dignity and pride. Af. Americans need to change the discourse to revolve around slavery. Slavery as an instituion was negative, but atleast the blood-line is still alive.

Furthermore, I open this discussion to talk about any and all things related to slavery, the good, the bad and the neutral.
Most black people are fully aware of the history of oppression and slavery in this country and have a decent knowledge about discrimination as well.

FYI, I personally believe the main "issue" facing black America today (I am a black person BTW) is that we too readily ascribe to the belief that we are inferior to other Americans - we have an "inferiority complex."

We believe media deceptions and age old stereotypes of us as the truth when historically, they are not for the most part.

Educated black people know about slavery. I am well learned about the history of our demographic, both enslaved and free persons of color (IMO more black people need to learn about free people of color and their activities - slavery has been over studied IMO). I am well learned about what "black culture" really is in this country. Too many black people today are not culturally knowledgeable based on believing media deceptions and perceptions about our demographic. We know about slavery though and Harriet Tubman and Sojourner Truth and many other well known black historical figures today.

ETA: On the bold, that is a discourse of white America and not black. I was frequently told that I was the "hope and the dream of the slave" and how I better use all my opportunities because my ancestors did not have them and they worked and suffered so I would. This is a common mantra of black people in America. Makes me think the OP is not black. Black American's take great strength from the plight of our ancestors and contrary to what many believe most of us do very well on a personal level and even demographically we are not in as dire straights as the media makes us out to be. IMO it is more important to teach black children this truth - that we are not all poor, criminally minded, that we are not undeducated/don't like to be educated, and we are not dysfunctional like the media and a large amount of persons in society makes us out to be. We come from a wonderful line of strength and determination and family and we have always sought to do better and achieve more. We are still doing so.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
You are asking for a seperate territory for Af. Americans. This will never happen. Be realistic. Did the Jews get a seperate territory after they were freed from the Egyptians? No, they waited another 2k years. An immediate change that Af. amer. can make today is ONE, stop refferring to yourself as BLACK because it has too many negative connotations. And TWO become a scholar in the transatlantic slave trade!!! It will humanize you as an Af. amer. It will allow you to seperate SLAVE from AFRICAN AMERICAN PERSON. Once af. Amer. realize that (1) people are people and were all exactly the same (2) slavery was a strict and intricate institution and we should be proud to have overcome it and be a staple of success for ALL the oppressed groups in the world, then the psychological healing process will occur.

By default every single black person, 1/8 or more, has an inferiority complex within them and it is up to you to confront that, because from birth you are told youre ugly, stupid, low iq, no good, the worst, violent, destructive, a disgrace to humanity, lowerclass, ghetto, ratchet, lazy, poor, uneducated, inability to become educated, in essence you are told youre a slave everyday. You get told it through peoples body language when you walk around, you get told it in school by your teachers, you get told it in TV every day. If any black person says they do not have any inferiority complex, they are lying. That is why black pride groups are so important, because when you are told that you "should be either dead or working for someone" every day of your life, through one form of communication or another, then you start to believe it. Hence why the song, "young, gifted and black" by nina simone wa produced.
I reviewed more of the thread and I agree with you in regards to the bold above.

On the red, I feel that "black pride" groups do not serve this purpose, one needs cultural education in order to defray the damage done by the inferiority complex. Having "pride" is not the same thing as knowing and understanding your culture and history.

Also, I agree with you on your response to branh. He has stated he is a libertarian and IMO many libertarians are naive about human behavior in response to such lawlessness.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I think he or she is right, and you're wrong...we don't talk about slavery often. You probably haven't even seen 12 years a slave, and your post is all over the place. How'd you bring muslims into this?
Like someone mentioned later in the thread, the movie was a remake and was based on a book with the same title.

You should read the book.

Maybe you are just now "getting into" black history. It is exciting to start to find stuff out about our illustrious past in this country IMO and it does make you want to talk more about it.

FWIW, I will state that what you are seeking like Katygirl mentioned below is already occurring with black people.

You should study more and see that there are already groups that devote their time and resources to disseminating the history of our people to the masses. Nearly every major urban area has multiple organizations devoted to black history. The reason that you know about Harriet Tubman and the Jazz special you saw and even Solomon Northrup is because of work done by black historians and groups along with other non-black persons who are interested in and who study black American history.

Seeking out one of these groups in your area would be beneficial for you. Many of them are always looking for more younger people to join. I am in my mid 30s and I run a website about black history in my area and am involved in a lot of groups that study black genealogy in particular.

Studying your own genealogy will provide you with a lot of insight into the "black experience" throughout the decades here in America. I work with a local group that studies local history and genealogy. Doing genealogy will help you learn a lot and will better point you to reputable sources or original source material (like Solomon Northrup's book) that will give you a more authentic picture of history.

Both "Roots" and "Twelve Years a Slave" did not do justice to the original books they were based upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have read plenty of accounts of slavery, and have heard about slavery and segregation most of my life. I read Roots when I was in junior high (and not for school, but because I wanted to). No one in the United States is unaware of this dark period of our history.

My part about the Muslims was because this constant guilt in Germany is why they are inviting millions of refugees to their country. I thought it was pretty much on point.

I do agree with you about the low self esteem issue in the black community. It seems I'm always hearing about lower test scores than any other group. I wish that it could be different, but it will have to come within the African American community. Are you aware that African immigrants in England outperform English working class in education? The white working class in England also seems to have esteem issues. It comes from generations of poverty and believing they aren't as good as other folks.

I think African Americans already do honor their ancestors. That's a wonderful thing, but it isn't what is going to help the community. More emphasis on education and community investment from black owned businesses and scientists and teachers will help far more. And it's happening. Each generation since the end of segregation is better off than the preceding generation. Honor history, and honor education.

Personally, I live in a very diverse community, with a lot of middle class black people. Many of them are far better off than I am. I notice that black people seem more likely to volunteer to help the poor. I think what you're wanting is already happening.
Again, she is correct. Black Americans actually are very in tuned to community needs for the most part and we are knowledgeable, even just general knowledge, about slavery and the history of black people in America.

Also a majority of us are doing well financially and educationally and on many other measures of which media and society in general paints us as dysfunctional.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:07 AM

371 posts, read 425,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Wouldn't it be more intellectually astute to mention the actual book
"Solomon Northup, b. 1808Twelve Years a Slave: Narrative of Solomon Northup, a Citizen of New-York, Kidnapped in Washington City in 1841, and Rescued in 1853" instead of the crappy movie?

The book was interesting, in the way that the overly verbose and preachy writing of that time can be interesting, especially compared to the movie.

You've read the book have you not? Have you watched the original version of the movie? You do know it's a remake right?

Everything new is old, again.
I will start reading today.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That is why black pride groups are so important.

And the KKK is not important? The Arian Nation is not important?

Many would disagree. Only important to cause more race tensions and eventual violence.
Why is it OK to be Black and a Racist? Why is it OK to be Brown and a Racist. Why is it OK to be Yellow or Orange and be a Racist.

It surely is not OK today to be White and exposed as a Racist.

Where is the NAAWP
After all... White people were held in bondage by Africans for over 2000 years.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
And the KKK is not important? The Arian Nation is not important?

Many would disagree. Only important to cause more race tensions and eventual violence.
Why is it OK to be Black and a Racist? Why is it OK to be Brown and a Racist. Why is it OK to be Yellow or Orange and be a Racist.

It surely is not OK today to be White and exposed as a Racist.

Where is the NAAWP
After all... White people were held in bondage by Africans for over 2000 years.
Just to note. The NAACP was started by white people. It was in no way started by black people, nor was there ever any demand from the black community at that time to have something like that exist. So perhaps you need to blame the government for all of this manufactured separation.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:17 AM

596 posts, read 428,529 times
Quote:
I will start reading today.

The book, and I know its cliché, is better than the movie. I was really expecting more from the movie but Hollywood never gets it right.

The link I posted has lots of extra information about Northup. Fascinating history and interesting on so many levels.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Just to note. The NAACP was started by white people. It was in no way started by black people, nor was there ever any demand from the black community at that time to have something like that exist. So perhaps you need to blame the government for all of this manufactured separation.
Yet, it exist today as?? When are Black folk gonna start the NAAWP?
and Blacks would still be in bondage if not for white people. Do you feel they have to be beholding to the white people that set them free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies