Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times

Advertisements

Illinois University Alerts Students to Possible Gunman on Campus
Thursday, February 14, 2008

Northern Illinois University issued an alert on its Web site Thursday to notify students of a possible gunman on campus.

"There has been a report of a possible gunman on campus," according to the alert. "Get to a safe area and take precautions until given the all clear. Avoid the King Commons and all buildings in that vicinity."

DeKalb Police Department says there are reports of multiple people shot.

FOXNews.com - Several People Reported Shot at Northern Illinois University - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Two in what? Two years. A lotta hype, nothing more. But I suppose this what your looking for, "Ban all guns, they are bad, America is a terribally violent place and I don't feel safe."

Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Reported White male dressed in all black. Another Neo wanna-be I'm sure. Big suprise.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:43 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Said he opened fire with a shotgun in one of the lecture halls there. Hospitals have been notified to expect at least 15 injured.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
These sorts of unprovoked spree shootings have been on the rise in the US over the last year. This seems to be becoming an angrier nation less-able to cope with its own crazies.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
More & more looneybirds are noticing theres places they can safely shoot people until their satiated. Blame the "gun free" zones.

These crazies could be dealt with fine if people were allowed to defend themselves. More victims of the anti gun movement.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
The fundamental problem is that people shouldn't have to carry firearms in order to protect themselves on a college campus. Perhaps they do, since America now has so many violent crazies, but that'd be a sad commentary on the state of the country.

When's the last time you heard of someone going on a shooting rampage at a university in Japan, for example?

I have a CCW and use it, but again, the fundamental problem is that, in a "good" society, I simply should not have to.

It's like living in a city with an untreated water system where you have to boil or chemically treat the water to make it safe. Then your stove breaks. Your PROXIMATE problem is a broken stove. Your FUNDAMENTAL problem is that you live in a crappy town that can't even keep its own water safe.

See what I mean?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM

216 posts, read 723,847 times
It is horrible. Northern lllinois is in DeKalb, a small community west of the Chicago Metro Area. I just have to wonder why kids are more and more stressed and violent? What as a society are we doing wrong? I'm in the middle of the book 19 Minutes and have been often reflecting on the past high school and college shootings, and now here is another. Has anyone done studies on the families these shooters come from? Is there a common thread? I would really be interested to hear some expert information on the backgrounds. Any FBI profilers on the forum? I'm sure our lives will be flooded with information about the shooting in the coming days. The big question is why does this keep happening?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The fundamental problem is that people shouldn't have to carry firearms in order to protect themselves on a college campus. Perhaps they do, since America now has so many violent crazies, but that'd be a sad commentary on the state of the country.

When's the last time you heard of someone going on a shooting rampage at a university in Japan, for example?

I have a CCW and use it, but again, the fundamental problem is that, in a "good" society, I simply should not have to.

It's like living in a city with an untreated water system where you have to boil or chemically treat the water to make it safe. Then your stove breaks. Your PROXIMATE problem is a broken stove. Your FUNDAMENTAL problem is that you live in a crappy town that can't even keep its own water safe.

See what I mean?
I agree to an extent. These things do happen in other countries with stricter gun laws tho. Germany, Uk, Canada among others.

Personally, & this is just my opinion, I think its because they know they can & because its glorified by the media. Kids who 10 or 20 years ago would have commited suicide now would rather go out with a bang. Helping it along is the absence of good parenting in this day of nanny care & parents to busy to really know their kids.

But all the deep social issues aside I think the biggest problem, both here & regarding violent crime in general, is that a person with evil in his heart can simply walk into a crowded school or almost anyplace & just start killing people without fear of serious resistance. The idea that people like you & I & millions of others that have jumped thru the hoops & passed all kinds of backround checks & training to obtain licenses or permits to carry firearms on our persons are a danger to our children or anyone is absurd.
If there were permit holders in that school who would have been carrying if not for the law or school policy then either the body responsible for the law or the school should be held liable for this tragedy. Not Americas gun owners.

People being the unpredictable critters we are will always hurt or kill other people. As such its silly to think legislating things like guns will matter.
Amnesty for a person shooting an armed assailant would help more I think.
Put some fear into the bad guys for a change.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:40 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Another shooting in a gun-free zone in a state with some of the strictest gun laws. Does anybody see a pattern? Where are the school shootings in Arizona, Vermont, Alaska? The areas with loose gun laws or none at all? Strange how people can be all for banning guns after things like this, but they don't see what the real problem is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies