Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 11:03 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nothing is free. Why is anyone still suggesting it.
The Entitlement generation. Lazy, want everything for free! Nothing is free, the money comes from somewhere. Somebody has to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I feel public community college and adult education programs/public trade scools should be free. Community College's and Public Adult Ed programs should offer more trade options. Feel after that shouldn't be free.

However, do feel employers should offer tuition reimbursent and some type of program to offer some assistance with loans. State gives them incentive/tax breaks if they do something along those lines.

I think federal grants and federal loam money should only go to public universities. Also private universities shouldn't receive any State or Federal money.

Thoughts...
What makes college so special that it should be free? And when you can come up with something that is important and is free (that is not natural like the sun or the air), you let me know.

[you won't find it]

Old 05-13-2016, 11:19 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well you just refuse to see it for what it is. You should be free to help people with their education, but not free to make your neighbor pay for it. How many times will you need to read that before it sinks in lol?
I care only about myself because I don't condone stealing from my neighbor to fund my causes? Interesting logic at work

Personal responsibilty used to be one of the things that made america great. Govt education is making the US collectively dumber and poorer.
I am so tired of this constant diet of conservative tripe. Not that people have that opinion...we all have opinions...but that they see their opinions as fact.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
i have repeated my point several times
This country was never a bunch of idiots and only an idiot would think it would become one if govt got out of the education biz...however if we continue to rely on politicians and bureaucrats to educate children, we might just get there.
Yes, we know. It's like a broken record.

But the big problem with your opinion is that you think that teaching children to learn should be a profit-making business, rather than a national trust.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:54 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, we know. It's like a broken record.

But the big problem with your opinion is that you think that teaching children to learn should be a profit-making business, rather than a national trust.

I would like to know how it can be a 'national trust' if there are no jobs for our 'educated'? Between our immigration issues, outsourcing and the pending automation issues; the future is not bright for American workers.

You can argue that we still need the technicians; but American businesses will still turn towards the cheapest labor pool available and that will probably be India, China or wherever. We do not need well rounded basket weavers and professors living off the fat of the land. So give us one list of what is so important to be declared the 'national trust'. Think carefully because many of the jobs will disappear if we do not adopt some protectionist policies. Would our educational 'industry' even be willing to adapt to our current needs?

Old 05-14-2016, 04:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
You should be able to do that. You should not be able to force your neighbor to.

Anyway, stealing to fund public school is no justification to steal for college level education.
I don't think I should have to pay for unjustified wars. If you do, you should....right now no one is paying for them. Our kids will have to. To pay the debt we are placing on them, they better be educated.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
College should be free -- but only for the top 0.01% of high school graduates.

That's the way it works in Britain and Europe.

You want me to help pay for your education?

You better be damn smart/talented and convince me that it's a good investment of my taxpayer money.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't think I should have to pay for unjustified wars. If you do, you should....right now no one is paying for them. Our kids will have to. To pay the debt we are placing on them, they better be educated.

Many of us feel the same way; but two wrongs don't make a right. It seems like it is one of the most used arguments on this forum.

Next April send your taxes in minus the 16% for military spending: Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. I am sure they will understand your reasoning!

Old 05-14-2016, 04:17 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
College should be free -- but only for the top 0.01% of high school graduates.

That's the way it works in Britain and Europe.
No it isn't. Not all go but you just made crap up. Why would you do that?

Quote:
You want me to help pay for your education?

You better be damn smart/talented and convince me that it's a good investment of my taxpayer money.
We have to convince Congress, you are not part of the discussion.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:29 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it isn't. Not all go but you just made crap up. Why would you do that?
I'm not the one making up crap.

You are.

Quote:
We have to convince Congress, you are not part of the discussion.
Good luck with that

College ain't gonna be free for the slackers and typical "Hi Skool" graduates that we have today -- reading at the eighth grade level and doing math at the fifth grade level!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies