Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 08:00 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
if we stop sending a bajillion $'s to every freaking country out there and underwriting the defense of several nations (including all of Europe since 1945!!!!!!!!!), we'd have enough $ to pay for every citizen's healthcare and college.
No we wouldn't, we'd just have no national debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM

33,813 posts, read 16,816,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No. The full cost of education should be paid by the end user, like any other good or service.
Free= no value.

Amen.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:05 PM

33,813 posts, read 16,816,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do you think K-12 grade should be free?

yes

Old 05-10-2016, 08:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,440,844 times
There is NO such thing as "free" education. Do people think that Universities will suddenly stop demanding money for doing what they do? No. they will more heavily rely on the government to fork it over. The government will demand that WE taxpayers fork it over.

I do think that the current system is very unsustainable. What has happened is that schools have demanded that the government make student loans so available that almost all students have taken them out. Their prices have absolutely skyrocketed. 4, well, in most cases 5 or 6 years later, students get that piece of paper....with a price tag of $50K, 40K, $70K or more. They have mortgaged their future for that piece of paper. Since the government has co-operated with Universities to smooth the way, it is a trap. Kids get the diploma with the expectation of high paying jobs. Those jobs are not available in many cases. So, the graduates now have the saddle of a huge debt right at the time of their live when they are trying to get all the other things people want..homes, cars, etc.

The whole student loan/tuition thing is crazy. And now, we have politicians proposing school will be "free" for everyone. I can imagine folks going to community colleges to study things like "music appreciation", "ethnic studies", "comparative religion", etc....and then trying to get a job that pays enough to live on.

I think the start of a solution is to have a tighter limit on student loans, make going to a University mean more than just a piece of paper. Pie in the sky? Yeah, probably. Maybe it is time to demand real merit based admissions. Reward (with scholarships, etc) those who cannot pay. Make achievement and marketable skills a priority.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM

295 posts, read 180,063 times
I'm not sure how one can argue that free=no value in terms of education when k-12 is free. Once upon a time, you could earn a living with a HS diploma. Now that's not possible so why can't community college or trade school also be free now that times have changed? Just my thought on the matter. Although I could also tolerate more affordable tuition.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,139,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I feel public community college and adult education programs/public trade scools should be free. Community College's and Public Adult Ed programs should offer more trade options. Feel after that shouldn't be free.

However, do feel employers should offer tuition reimbursent and some type of program to offer some assistance with loans. State gives them incentive/tax breaks if they do something along those lines.

I think federal grants and federal loam money should only go to public universities. Also private universities shouldn't receive any State or Federal money.

Thoughts...
No. Pay for your own stuff.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:17 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,172,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I feel public community college and adult education programs/public trade scools should be free. Community College's and Public Adult Ed programs should offer more trade options. Feel after that shouldn't be free.

However, do feel employers should offer tuition reimbursent and some type of program to offer some assistance with loans. State gives them incentive/tax breaks if they do something along those lines.

I think federal grants and federal loam money should only go to public universities. Also private universities shouldn't receive any State or Federal money.

Thoughts...

A lot of the stuff you mention SHOULD BE OFFERED TO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS! Free of course. They did that 80 - 100 years ago. My magnet HS (public school) was a modified vocational high school. It still had 37 curriculums (excuse me - curriculae). Everything from, gosh, let's see... avocational music, to architectural design technology, to fine arts, to chem-bio, chem-metallurgy, to performing arts, probably 6 business curriculums of sorts, auto aero, and yes - air conditioning and refrigeration. All curriculae, no matter what, included college prep English and Math (which was the sole reason you had to be "invited"). I placed out of Freshman Composition at an ivy University. I'd make that optional. For instance, how many people need to know the quadratic equation thingee or have to take two years of foreign language?

So what's this have to go to college business (at great expense) when some of these curriculums had students with jobs out the door at 18 (air conditioning & refrigeration, for example). My friend was in chem-met and got a job immediately at the local chemical plant. The dude was making 50K a year (mid 1970's) well before he was 25, doing stuff you don't need no stinkin' college degree for. The guy knew all there was to know about metals - right out of high school!

The curriculum used for K-12 is a colossal waste of time, unchanged since the 1920's when my dad was in school. Most of it is useless, repetitive junk (we had American History three times - 5th, 8th, and 12th grade). Like what for? Is having work skills at age 18 a sin or something?

To me, this outdated school curriculum is literally an elephant in a room. I just don't see why people aren't demanding something else.

By the way, look up Harvard's net worth in whatever it's called funds(?) - its till. It's in the billions and I think, tax free.

State supported schools should not at taxpayer or student expense be operating a farm league for the NFL. That's another one.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 05-10-2016 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 PM

129 posts, read 162,051 times
I think an additional question that should be asked when contemplating the matter, is should Wall Street speculators be paying a much lower tax rate than nurses, teachers, and plumbers? By taxing speculation at a rate close to or equal to that paid by average Americans we could fund free public college, as has been illustrated by Sanders. I'm not sure that's what should be done with the money, but I do find it a hard pill to swallow that most Americans are busting their butts to take care of their families and Wall Street speculators are paying a lower tax rate than them, and using the millions they make to fund politicians to keep from raising their tax rates to levels the rest of us pay.

Last edited by freeazabird; 05-10-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 08:56 PM

50,099 posts, read 46,680,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
I'm not sure how one can argue that free=no value in terms of education when k-12 is free. Once upon a time, you could earn a living with a HS diploma. Now that's not possible so why can't community college or trade school also be free now that times have changed? Just my thought on the matter. Although I could also tolerate more affordable tuition.
Let's see here. We've had open borders that allow immigrants here illegally to make careers out of the jobs you are talking about. The HS Diploma jobs. No sympathy here, sorry. So yes, "they took your jerbs".

Do nothing about visa over-stays and they'll take more. I don't think pandering to the typical Citizen will do much at this point. They've already been over run.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,604,899 times
I mean we technically pay taxes for paid education why not taxes for free education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies