Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 06:51 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Of course I do. But it's only "tuition free" for the kids... someone else is paying for it. And when those kids become adults THEY will pay for it. Someone ALWAYS pays for it... there is no such thing a genuinely FREE education. It doesn't exist.
Oh good, so you do understand when I say tuition free that I am not saying free education. For a second there, I thought you didn't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupe-La View Post
I think this is the wave of the future.

It should be; but I believe that even that is paid for by the taxpayers. I could be wrong; it has been some time since I researched the subject. It is logical that people can learn at their own pace and when they actually have time to learn. Unfortunately I think many of our young go away to college for all the wrong reasons. I just don't think this Country needs deeper debt so some can party.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:58 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
I'm not sure how one can argue that free=no value in terms of education when k-12 is free. Once upon a time, you could earn a living with a HS diploma. Now that's not possible so why can't community college or trade school also be free now that times have changed? Just my thought on the matter. Although I could also tolerate more affordable tuition.
A high school education is very limited in scope.

Where I went you had either a General diploma or an Academic diploma.

The Academic was supposed to PREPARE your for college.

College is supposed to do more.

Do have ant idea how many different majors there are in college?

You CANNOT compare the 2 options in high school to the hundreds of options in college, UNLESS you want to do college as you do high school and offer only 2 "general" majors for free.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:00 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,556,659 times
College? Why stop there?
Shoot, EVERYTHING ought to be free.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I agree with the general proposition that those whom wish to go to college (and have the grades for it) but cannot afford it, should be helped out financially. As Benjamin Franklin said "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest".

I am appalled at how expensive college has gotten. When I went to Texas Tech School of Law in the early 1980s, I paid $5.00 per semester hour (as a Texas resident). Indeed, if I wished to go to medical school, the price was the same.

So, $5.00 per semester hour, times 90 total hours for a J.D.: $450.00. I probably spent another $500.00 on those blasted books (I recall that my Estate Law book was a mind-boggling $50!), and a few hundred in 'fees'.

Now, I see that the 'tuition and fees' for one year of law school is $23,000.00. The undergraduate program is almost $18,000.00, again per year.

While my parents paid for the tuition, I had to pay for other items of daily living, which I was able to do by working part-time at minimum wage ($3.35 per hour, in 1982). I was able to pay for my room (a single room rented in a woman's house, I think $50 per month), my food, adult beverages, etc., by such work. I doubt I could do it again at $7.25 per hour, but that is another subject.

Indeed, if an Angel came down today and said "By magic you are 18 years old again, Legalsea, and you may again enjoy the carefree days of college and law school", I would shoot said Angel, and the pick the angel's pockets for any celestial gold to help defray the hideous cost.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 AM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
College? Why stop there?
Shoot, EVERYTHING ought to be free.
rob thy neighbor to pay for ones wants and needs. It's the foundation of a civilized society

Old 05-11-2016, 07:32 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree with the general proposition that those whom wish to go to college (and have the grades for it) but cannot afford it, should be helped out financially. As Benjamin Franklin said "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest".

I am appalled at how expensive college has gotten. When I went to Texas Tech School of Law in the early 1980s, I paid $5.00 per semester hour (as a Texas resident). Indeed, if I wished to go to medical school, the price was the same.

So, $5.00 per semester hour, times 90 total hours for a J.D.: $450.00. I probably spent another $500.00 on those blasted books (I recall that my Estate Law book was a mind-boggling $50!), and a few hundred in 'fees'.

Now, I see that the 'tuition and fees' for one year of law school is $23,000.00. The undergraduate program is almost $18,000.00, again per year.

While my parents paid for the tuition, I had to pay for other items of daily living, which I was able to do by working part-time at minimum wage ($3.35 per hour, in 1982). I was able to pay for my room (a single room rented in a woman's house, I think $50 per month), my food, adult beverages, etc., by such work. I doubt I could do it again at $7.25 per hour, but that is another subject.

Indeed, if an Angel came down today and said "By magic you are 18 years old again, Legalsea, and you may again enjoy the carefree days of college and law school", I would shoot said Angel, and the pick the angel's pockets for any celestial gold to help defray the hideous cost.

Interesting story. I suspect the price has skyrocketed because the feds subsidize so much of the cost these days. Much more than in the past.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. Not free.

But the price shouldn't outpace inflation.
If we got government out of the picture it wouldn't.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
rob thy neighbor to pay for ones wants and needs. It's the foundation of a civilized society
Exactly.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeazabird View Post
I think an additional question that should be asked when contemplating the matter, is should Wall Street speculators be paying a much lower tax rate than nurses, teachers, and plumbers? By taxing speculation at a rate close to or equal to that paid by average Americans we could fund free public college, as has been illustrated by Sanders. I'm not sure that's what should be done with the money, but I do find it a hard pill to swallow that most Americans are busting their butts to take care of their families and Wall Street speculators are paying a lower tax rate than them, and using the millions they make to fund politicians to keep from raising their tax rates to levels the rest of us pay.
"I think an additional question that should be asked when contemplating the matter, is should Wall Street speculators be paying a much lower tax rate than nurses, teachers, and plumbers?"

IMO, talking "rates" is a way to disguise the truth.

Lets' try to make as simple as possible.

Every year the fed takes in X amount of "income" taxes.

It is NOT a "rate" it IS ACTUAL DOLLARS.

Let's say the fed takes in a total $100 dollars.

The "rich" portion of that $100 is $90 dollars.

Many want to claim they are not paying their "fair" share" because they use "rates" instead of actual dollars.

To them paying 90% of the fed take is NOT enough.

And has been discusses at nauseam, it is NOT haw much the fed takes in, it is how much they SPEND.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies