Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:23 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupe-La View Post
That's not "'just' lucky". "[J]ust lucky" doesn't appear anywhere in the speech. Breitbart knows what they're doing by inserting "just"
I didn't quote, much less read Breitbart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So did I, and I'm glad and proud I did. But I am ashamed of and embarrassed over many of the posters in this forum.
Don't be; they have always been, still are and will forever remain a minority.

This whole thread, based upon nothing more than subterfuge, is prophetically indicative.

Americans as a whole are far smarter than displayed on here.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
The 'clueless buffoons' are the ones who didn't bother to read the transcript of the speech.
It's easier to react to click bait sensational headlines when it validates one's perceptions.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:36 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It is not lying as long as the source is provided and the quotes are accurate.

Now you're lying as well, as the quotes are anything but accurate.

I read the whole speech and IMO it leaves an even worse impression in complete context.

Reading the whole speech would have availed you the opportunity to appreciate his comments lauding America in readily apparent context.

He is pretty smooth that is for sure. He could have been a great ad man. He used this opportunity to campaign for Hillary too.

And which of the presidents elected over a couple of hundred years has not been at least somewhat glib enough as lawyers and businessmen among others, to impress enough to garner votes?
Akin to another poster, while professing his faux disdain for the Howard U speech, conflating a youtube video of a speech Obama made four years ago with this thread .

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,836 times
Quote:
It appears you didn't read the transcript either, or maybe "just" the comment that you were responding to.
Are you blind? I quoted directly from the transcript.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I saw excerpts from his speech. It's hard to believe that came out of the mouth of the US President.
Why not speak of how great America is? About great opportunities in America for hard working honest people.
Sadly many will believe his lies...

Obama: Crime Created by 'System,' Successful People 'Just Lucky,' 'Wasn't Nothin' You Did' - Breitbart

He's absolutely correct. Successful people are very lucky because they
  • are born with the mental ability to learn and develop skills;
  • are born with enough good health that they grow to adulthood;
  • have at least one good parent or a parent who has at least one good parent (ie, stable, non-addict, not mentally ill, etc);
  • are born to a mother who is not an alcoholic so that they don't suffer FAS;
  • are born to a mother who is not a coke addict so that they aren't crack babies with all the attendant health problems; and
  • have/find role models/mentors that show them how or help them develop into successful people.
If you think you became successful all by yourself, you're both ignorant and arrogant. Nobody picks the conditions of his/her birth, before or afterward. Nobody gets to pick the family or the environment or even their personality. Two kids in the same family with the same parents and the same environment can grow up with entirely different attitudes towards everything. That even happens when they're identical twins and share the same DNA.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "separating" and "pigeon holes"? He's listing different groups of people, then unifying them in the context of "expand[ing] our moral imaginations to understand and empathize with all people who are struggling".
I don't see how that expresses an "attitude". I think it's called "writing a speech".
Just a personal observation of the administration over the years and here. You're mileage may vary.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Why does Obama constantly make it about race and then complain it's about race?
Because he's pandering to the democratic voting base. Telling them what they want to hear and they're too dumb to decipher it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:29 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Like his daughter getting into Harvard?

Like his being elected POTUS twice?

Old 05-12-2016, 09:32 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I thought Obama delivered a good speech with many excellent points. I guess some racists just can't handle the fact we have a black president giving a crowd of black students some advice. White privilege shows its ugly head again.
Please explain the annoying and undignified "black" accent he turns on and off with different audiences.
Do you not see the pandering? Can't he break out of the ghetto?
As President of the United States, he should realize how inappropriate some of his actions are.
BTW, your so-called "white privilege" is the joke, and it's on you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies