Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
So "go read the literature" is what you say to people already on board ("if you are a Christian"), not to those you're trying to get on board.

So you think libertarians should be like Christians and go on "missions" to spread the "gospel"....that's what you're implying, correct?

There's plenty of libertarians spreading the "gospel" - hell, Bran was doing it in this very thread, yet he was ignored....but I should add my insight as well? No thanks...the OP has his own agenda with this discussion, and it's not to learn about alternative views or about libertarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The bottom line is that you are just obfuscating. Libertarians offer nothing that would close the racial gaps, but the strategy of ignoring RACE...and hence you will not see any racial gaps. Unless you can prove otherwise, I have nothing left to say to you. Its like having a chest x-ray and the doctor says he sees a mass in the lung. The Libertarian solution would therefore be to not take x-rays and you will not see the mass.
did you NOT read what I wrote about how Libertarian ideas would help black people?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Yes....I see myself as black before American.
And that's to a great degree because the demographic majority in America has typically seen "black' before "American." This is what my parents saw happening when Nazi German PWs got to sit in the white accommodations and black American GIs were barred.

Now, I think the Millennial generation is actually different in that respect--I think Millennials actually do tend to make their operational judgments about people (and everyone makes operational judgments) based on other factors before skin color.

But the Millennial generation is not running the country yet. The Boomer generation still is running the country, and the Boomer generation is still mired in the pattern that was the "norm" we were raised in.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
did you NOT read what I wrote about how Libertarian ideas would help black people?
I must have missed that thread. Can you link me to it?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I must have missed that thread. Can you link me to it?
Go back to page 2 on this thread.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
And that's to a great degree because the demographic majority in America has typically seen "black' before "American." This is what my parents saw happening when Nazi German PWs got to sit in the white accommodations and black American GIs were barred.

Now, I think the Millennial generation is actually different in that respect--I think Millennials actually do tend to make their operational judgments about people (and everyone makes operational judgments) based on other factors before skin color.

But the Millennial generation is not running the country yet. The Boomer generation still is running the country, and the Boomer generation is still mired in the pattern that was the "norm" we were raised in.
Bingo. Outstanding grasp of reality.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Go back to page 2 on this thread.
Ok.....sorry I missed that. Here is a news flash. I have been a big fan of Peter Schiff for some time. I know all about fractional banking, the evils of Central Banking, not being on a gold standard...etc. I am not averse to these theories and in truth, the economic platform of Libertarians I prefer. That said, instituting such changes will raise or lower the tide for ALL BOATS. It will not address the gaps in the condition of the boats in the water. That is what I am asking. What does the party offer that addresses the gaps between the boats, gaps created by centuries of polices that favored some style boats over others.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Ok.....sorry I missed that. Here is a news flash. I have been a big fan of Peter Schiff for some time. I know all about fractional banking, the evils of Central Banking, not being on a gold standard...etc. I am not averse to these theories and in truth, the economic platform of Libertarians I prefer. That said, instituting such changes will raise or lower the tide for ALL BOATS. It will not address the gaps in the condition of the boats in the water. That is what I am asking. What does the party offer that addresses the gaps between the boats, gaps created by centuries of polices that favored some style boats over others.
I'm not sure I understand the question. But if I were to guess, you seem to take the position that you agree with the Libertarian economic platform, but that it helps everyone, not just black people? But I would ask, why does it even matter? As long as it also helps black people, then that's all that should matter. Now you can assume there will be "gaps", but I don't think so. If the glass ceilings were removed, blacks can close the gaps if the will is there.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
It also doesn't address those who poke holes in the boats of others, except to say that it's "not the proper thing to do" without creating any means of preventing it.

Well, I guess what Libertarians would do is encourage each other to shun those who poke holes in other people's boats.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It also doesn't address those who poke holes in the boats of others, except to say that it's "not the proper thing to do" without creating any means of preventing it.

Well, I guess what Libertarians would do is encourage each other to shun those who poke holes in other people's boats.
Sorry, I like direct terms, excuse me for not being so poetic. What Libertarians does is not give people the ability to use the government to protect them. The problem is that no one can really subjugate you without using government force to do it. Ideally you should be able to prevent this yourself. And I think this is accurate. If you look at history, even things like the KKK, it is all government backed and funded. People with gripes about black people individually were never dangerous, as black people could easily defend themselves against individuals. But when the government endorses this behavior it put blacks at a disadvantage.

In a Libertarian society such groups cannot exist, because the government would never protect these type of groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies