Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times

Advertisements

Yes, Billy Corgan, a warrior of a different stripe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:55 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not familiar with all of Billy Corgan's views but on this subject he's right. Growing up as a kid and being just vaguely familiar with political terms and groups like right or let or centrist, that stuff never really registered to me as a kid, I guess I just didn't pay much attention to that stuff, but that being said when I did sorta get or at least seemed like I got was that people on the right were the "bad" ones, the overly-religious pious types and were greedy and didn't want to help the poor and all of that stuff, whatever and that "liberals" were supposed to be open minded, progressive, understanding and tolerant, I think these views must have entered my mind on some subconscious level as my parents never really discussed this stuff when I was growing up.

The point I'm making is is that sometimes it seems like things have flipped, the far left seem to want to control your thoughts, and there appears to be some serious cognitive dissonance going on about a lot of subjects, such as Islamic terrorism just being one, issues in non-white communities being another right off of the top of my head gun control is another.

PC stuff has gotten way out of hand, I get we need to treat everyone equally and be fair, but sometimes I just can't get my head around the way some people think.

Every time I take political tests I always seems to land in the center slightly left, I think most people tend to be more moderate, although I don't understand why the far left and far right seem to get all of the grease??

Moderates are probably considered boring and don't provide silly sound bits for the 24 hr news cycle.
Big Smashing Pumpkins fan here, seen 'em live twice, one of my favorite bands, but I don't agree with OP's comment about music not being good today as well...

I also generally agree that hecklers are not altogether respectful of letting those they are heckling speak, but all this nonsense about liberals being the source of stifling free speech is utter nonsense all considered. People who view heckling as a way to demonstrate protest also represent a manner of free speech that needs to be protected, but there are all too many ways for a speaker to be heard without fear of hecklers to consider this too much a problem or issue in my opinion.

There are all too many examples of how conservatives work to suppress the views of liberals and vice versa, but I think we all know down deep that the great majority of folks on both sides of the political spectrum are not as much inclined to yell over one another, right?

What worries me the most is when whackos go from just loud talk to shooting people, like they took out JFK, Bobby Kennedy, MLK, John Lennon, Harvey Milk...

Now that was a problem! Were those all left-wingers wanting to squelch free speech as well?

Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I see the Progs have their longknives out for a guy that wont comply

Old 05-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
PC stuff has gotten way out of hand, I get we need to treat everyone equally and be fair, but sometimes I just can't get my head around the way some people think.

Every time I take political tests I always seems to land in the center slightly left, I think most people tend to be more moderate, although I don't understand why the far left and far right seem to get all of the grease??

Moderates are probably considered boring and don't provide silly sound bits for the 24 hr news cycle.
I think the "PC stuff" is really just frustration on the part of people who are maybe a tad bit bigoted or racist or intolerant and don't know how to keep from letting that show...

I mean to be PC in my opinion is simply not to make disparaging remarks about people who are different than us because of their religion or race or sexual orientation. You have a problem with another religion or race or sexual orientation rather than judge individuals as individuals, on the basis of what they specifically do, well then you are likely a bigot or racist or just intolerant beyond what you are willing to admit. As such, all the PC stuff "rubs you the wrong way" of course.

In any case, I've never had any heartburn over what I view as being PC, because for me it's just the effort to be as civil with one another as possible, despite our differences. Ironically, I will no doubt get the usual insults just for taking this view!

Meanwhile, here's another "political test" you can take to see where you land with this one if you like...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ce-sitter.html

Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 AM

Reminds me of one of his songs, the lyrics of which I've always pondered a bit more than most...

"Disarm"

Disarm you with a smile
And cut you like you want me to
Cut that little child
Inside of me and such a part of you
Ooh, the years burn

I used to be a little boy
So old in my shoes
And what i choose is my choice
What's a boy supposed to do?
The killer in me is the killer in you
My love
I send this smile over to you

Disarm you with a smile
And leave you like they left me here
To wither in denial
The bitterness of one who's left alone
Ooh, the years burn
Ooh, the years burn, burn, burn

I used to be a little boy
So old in my shoes
And what I choose is my voice
What's a boy supposed to do?
My love
I send this smile over to you

Send this smile over to you

Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Big Smashing Pumpkins fan here, seen 'em live twice, one of my favorite bands, but I don't agree with OP's comment about music not being good today as well...

I also generally agree that hecklers are not altogether respectful of letting those they are heckling speak, but all this nonsense about liberals being the source of stifling free speech is utter nonsense all considered. People who view heckling as a way to demonstrate protest also represent a manner of free speech that needs to be protected, but there are all too many ways for a speaker to be heard without fear of hecklers to consider this too much a problem or issue in my opinion.

There are all too many examples of how conservatives work to suppress the views of liberals and vice versa, but I think we all know down deep that the great majority of folks on both sides of the political spectrum are not as much inclined to yell over one another, right?

What worries me the most is when whackos go from just loud talk to shooting people, like they took out JFK, Bobby Kennedy, MLK, John Lennon, Harvey Milk...

Now that was a problem! Were those all left-wingers wanting to squelch free speech as well?

There are no examples of Conservatives trying to suppress the views of liberals

There are THOUSANDS of examples of Progs seeking to SHUT UP EVERYONE that doesn't comply with their demands.

and its not just conservatives they seek to destroy. The Progs have come out to deny Jeh Johnson the ability to even speak at a college.

The list of conservatives that have been absolutely denied the ability to give as speech on a college campus is very very long.

Progs weren't "heckling" Donald Trump. They were violently RIOTING in Chicago to the point that Trump had to cancel his ralley.

In CA, Progs came out to protest with the goal of shutting him down.

Progs seek to make you lose you job if you don't do what they say.

There is NOTHING on the right that compares to the Prog hatred.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
There are no examples of Conservatives trying to suppress the views of liberals

There are THOUSANDS of examples of Progs seeking to SHUT UP EVERYONE that doesn't comply with their demands.

and its not just conservatives they seek to destroy. The Progs have come out to deny Jeh Johnson the ability to even speak at a college.

The list of conservatives that have been absolutely denied the ability to give as speech on a college campus is very very long.

Progs weren't "heckling" Donald Trump. They were violently RIOTING in Chicago to the point that Trump had to cancel his ralley.

In CA, Progs came out to protest with the goal of shutting him down.

Progs seek to make you lose you job if you don't do what they say.

There is NOTHING on the right that compares to the Prog hatred.
You are obviously "blinded" by your obvious bias altogether perfectly exemplified by that last statement...

"There is NOTHING on the right that compares...?"

I'm not going to get into a pissing match over trying to quantify what represents the over-reach of right or left leaning folks wanting to push their agenda along these lines, but just the history of bombings and protests over pro-choice, for example, points to how ridiculous your tilted notions are here.

Or maybe you haven't been following the story of those protests too? Only the ones you don't like maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies