Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's a bigger issue in America now?
Frozen or stagnant wages (with increases by a few % points)? 17 50.00%
The cost of rent. 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:17 PM

759 posts, read 636,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Then learn about "supply and demand'
Yeah that's what they told me when I moved to Seattle metro as the reason why rents are so high and it's why the median house price in Seattle is $550k. It gets better the farther out of town you get... or so they say. A house down the street from me... 1 BR, 1 BA, 950 sq ft... with a yard the size of a parking space just sold for $210k.

It's shocking to me because I'm from the east coast where $210k would get you a 4 BR with a backyard pool and 2 car garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 PM

3,039 posts, read 4,997,325 times
There are 100 rental units and 150 people want to rent. What do you propose? Why would the landlord select you?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:50 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,113,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yep... I'm 41, single, and been living in Seattle metro for the last 3 years. I chose a 3 bedroom and 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1BR. My place is 1485 sq ft with 2 bath and just went to $1775 a month... utilities and cable/internet put the total around $2200 or so.

In Seattle the prices are even higher LOL... $1600 average 1 BR and $2100 2 BR?!?!? It's amazing to me how rents are so ridiculous here but I get around it with the 2 roommates. $900 each covers the rent, and I pay utilities. They get a deal saving off the costs of a 1BR and so do I.

I work in Seattle with a 25 mile one way commute and make $50k... which means I'm poor for this area. As said though... I do what I can to avoid being bent over by rent prices.
Dude, you're 41 and have roommates? What happened? Dirty dishes and five in the living room brings back memories.
BTW Seattle rent doesn't compare to parts of Northern Virginia. Tysons rents would blow your mind.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,148,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
So, in summary, what's more damaging, in America, wages that are basically stuck, or rents that are in some areas, out of control?
Neither....the problem is Americans who are dumber than Homo Erectus.

The cost of any housing is a function of Supply & Demand.

Why should I rent to you for $450/month when there are two dozen people willing to pay $650/month?

If you cannot afford rent/mortgage, then either double up with another family or move to a low cost area.

It's not rocket science.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:58 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,523,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"don't mind spending most of your income in rent alone"

I hate to brek your bubble but, this is NOTHING new!

"What's the mentality, behind the landlords that live in Cities, like this? Pure greed?"

How old are you, 20ish?

INSTEAD of making IGNORANT accusations and juvenile name calling, why don't YOU do some research and find out WHY the rent are so high.

I suggest you start with the taxes they pay and then the "regulations" they must follow.

Then learn about "supply and demand'
Spending no more than a quarter of your income towards rent or making it in one week, has always been the American standard, not spending most of your income in rent or housing.
Maybe you can do this somewhat easily, if you're a top 1/3rd income earner, since everything else besides the rent related to housing expenses is easier to come by.
If you're not though and you're spending more than 25% (for sure more than 33%) on rent, you're hurting, unless you have almost no overhead at all

Old 05-14-2016, 03:57 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,258 times
"The rent is too damn high."

Old 05-14-2016, 04:32 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,430,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
This is a huge issue and IMO, more of a crisis than the wages and need more attention than the new wage laws that are going into effect.
In a lot of places, like Seattle and San Francisco/San Jose, the jobs are plentiful and the economy is great. Sadly though, if you want to live close to these jobs and not tie up traffic even more horrendous than it already is, you can't. Unless you are one of the top 25% of wage earners (your own place, especially if you have kids), bought your place when it was more affordable, especially in Seattle's case, don't mind spending most of your income in rent alone or want to get a roommate or roommates.
I've heard that there are people that work for Google or Facebook in San Jose, that aren't programmers, but say, janitors or security workers, that make say 20 to 22 per hour, but have to drive in or take a train, from Stockton, since they cannot afford to live in SJ. Maybe they can't do the roommate thing, thanks do kids or dogs?
How, especially when we need to reduce pollution and congestion on the roads, can we do this, when it costs way too much to realistically live where most of the jobs are?
I am sure other cities have similar stories, where, except for the top 2%, wages have increased, less than 5% in the last 10 to 20 years, while in the case of Seattle, (city alone), average apartment rents have gone from 1100 back in 2010, to 1700 today. What is that? An increase of at least 30%?
What's the mentality, behind the landlords that live in Cities, like this? Pure greed? Especially if they have these places paid off already? I don't want to hear the "it's what the market will bear". Yes, I get that, there are people in the top 2% who will think very little of paying top dollar and over for an apartment. Do you forget though, landlords, that there are still 90% that cannot afford, without doing the things I listed earlier, the absurd rent increases, overnight? It's one thing if it's like this in a 20 year period or at least if wage increases, kept pace with rent increases. In most of America's major metro areas, they simply don't anymore.
While those could say, too bad, so sad, move to small town USA, where it's cheaper. Well, jobs generally are not plentiful. And if you make ok money in a big city, then move to say, (for example, Spokane from Seattle), you won't take the salary with you usually and actually could not be that much better off. $13.00 per hour may not even get you a room in Seattle, in Spokane, that could get you an studio or one bedroom apartment, but, I've heard, 1/2 the jobs there don't even pay that much.
So, in summary, what's more damaging, in America, wages that are basically stuck, or rents that are in some areas, out of control?
Oh, please.

As if employees don't demand as much as the market will bear.

Now landlords are supposed to give away freebies?

I don't think so.

If you can't afford San Francisco, move to Alabama or Mississippi!

Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
...Those people would not be shacking up so much if the rents were reasonable. The reason that it happens is due to high rental prices that are out of whack with wages/income.
They're not "out of whack" if people will pay them.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 AM

The rent I charged per unit would have to go up to $5,000 a month in order for me to make a small profit.

But if I were to charge even half of that, the renters would scream bloody murder.

So I don't rent to people. To hell with 'em.

Old 05-14-2016, 04:55 AM

58,944 posts, read 27,254,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
Yeah that's what they told me when I moved to Seattle metro as the reason why rents are so high and it's why the median house price in Seattle is $550k. It gets better the farther out of town you get... or so they say. A house down the street from me... 1 BR, 1 BA, 950 sq ft... with a yard the size of a parking space just sold for $210k.

It's shocking to me because I'm from the east coast where $210k would get you a 4 BR with a backyard pool and 2 car garage.

"It's shocking to me because I'm from the east coast where $210k would get you a 4 BR with a backyard pool and 2 car garage"

I can assure you, you CANNOT find that house for that price in ALL of the east coast.

My wife sold real estate on the east coast and you was amazed at the "culture" shock, high prices, many had when moving from Wash state to the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies