Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was George Zimmerman a hero?
yes 18 13.14%
no 107 78.10%
The new whopper-dog at Burger king is amazing!!! 12 8.76%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:20 PM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
But Darling, I already have. Although The Retreat at Twin Lakes (frightening name, isn't it?), has seen better days, it is a gated community with 1,400 sf townhomes. Like many areas in the U.S. at the time, the value of the homes dropped because of the recession. The racial makeup was approximately 50% white, 20% black, 20% Hispanic and 5% Asian when Zimmerman shot Martin.

Currently, townhomes in the subdivision are listed from $135,000 to $170,000. The HOA fees are $181/month.

If this is the 'hood, the U.S. is in much better shape than I thought.
HOA fees are $181 a month? That's crazy

Old 05-13-2016, 01:21 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Sorry, but the poster I was responding to said "he was getting the crap beaten out of him".

Obviously, that was not the case.

So, from your post, am I to assume that if you got into an argument with someone and they punched you in the nose, you would kill them? Sounds like second degree murder to me.
Well first off, I'm not going to get into a verbal argument with anyone if I can help it, especially if I have my family with me. If I'm forced into a confrontation I'll do everything I can do to get my family out of harm's way then I'll get myself out of the situation as well. If that plan doesn't work and someone physically assaults my wife or children I'm going to eliminate that physical threat immediately. I'm willing and prepared to do whatever it takes to remove a threat after I've exhausted all other options.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Interesting post. So none of Zimmerman's blood was found on Martin. If Zimmerman was defending himself from an attack he doesn't seemed to have put up much of a fight before going for his gun.
He isn't required to, going for his gun is putting up a fight.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
After countless run-ins with the law, and engagements with gun violence, people still give that man the benefit of the doubt.

He's the City-Data poster boy..Even the mods stick up for him. Remember all those things our parents told us about strangers? You have an armed man following you on a dark rainy night, and you expect the kid to be passive about the situation?

If Trayvon was a young woman, people would be having totally different discussions right now..

Even if you think that Zimmerman was innocent or at least not guilty, his behavior after the process is just indefensible.

Trying to make a profit off the gun that killed a boy who just wanted to go home is inherently insane, even if you think that Zimmerman was assaulted and had a right to defend himself.

The fact that people like him are walking around freely and boasting about their deeds is just crazy. How can you not get angry.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
HOA fees are $181 a month? That's crazy
I have no opinion on the HOA fees themselves. But there is a poster insisting that Zimmerman was rightfully afraid of TM and acted like a rational person because they were living in the 'hood and it was dangerous and scary.

I'm just saying that the profile of the subdivision doesn't sound very ghetto or dangerous.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM

653 posts, read 816,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Some people consider this guy a bad person; however, most people consider him a hero.

I just don't get it. It seems to me like he used excessive force despite the notion that he took out a really bad person. I'm torn on this one. Being that I voted for Hillary, I'm obviously not racist, but in some ways, one could consider Zimmerman a hero.
MoRonic comment of the day

Old 05-13-2016, 01:27 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I really don't know why good people (and you all are) here on City Data argue about this guy. Had he stayed in his car, this tragedy could have been prevented.

He didn't have to "defend" himself if he listened to somebody who knew how to handle the situation.

This is just a sad case how the mainstream media fuels racism to provoke race war.
I'm a right leaning gun owner. The kind of person you'd expect be to in Zimmerman's corner. But I believe that if Zimmerman had used a little common sense he would have stayed in his car and let law enforcement do their job. Then he wouldn't have had the encounter with Trayvon Martin and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You didn't pay attention to any part of the trial, did you?
I was working when the trial was being televised. Apparently some people here are either on welfare or independently wealthy, and they had the opportunity to watch the trial in real time.

I looked at the evidence, without prejudice from a media source (otherwise known as 'the news').

For instance, I watched a video of O'Malley prompting one of his witnesses while he was on the stand. "You saw him hitting him MMA style, is that what you mean, MMA style?"

That is called leading the witness, and should have been stricken from the record.

Zimmerman got off because the prosecution's heart was not in the case. After all, they live in Floriduh also. They should have challenged that "MMA" question, but sat mute.

I take it you believe everything the defense lawyer said. I bet in another life you've called lawyers sleazy, but let's forget about that.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:32 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm a right leaning gun owner. The kind of person you'd expect be to in Zimmerman's corner. But I believe that if Zimmerman had used a little common sense he would have stayed in his car and let law enforcement do their job. Then he wouldn't have had the encounter with Trayvon Martin and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
exactly.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:33 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
He isn't required to, going for his gun is putting up a fight.
I'm surprised Zimmerman could have hit Martin from 40 feet away! In the dark, no less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies