Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:19 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Vehemently disagree with the notion we should do away with womens' sports. First, in some sports, women's versus men's aren't even the same. Lacrosse for instance. Different rules, equipment, everything. Second, there are flat out biological differences between women and men that no amount of social construct will change. Height and muscular construct being the two easiest to point out. Of course I am not one of those who tout that women always 100% equal to men because it's not true. I believe in parity, yes, but I do think that separation in certain things as it pertains to women versus men is perfectly acceptable with biology to back me up.
As a nation we have been told by our government, not to mention a multitude of liberal and feminist groups that there are no differences, that women are equal to men in all physical ways. Every job in the military is now open to women. Women are employed as police and fighters, jobs where a physical failing can mean serious injury or death. So in all these areas we are told that women are equal, have to have the same jobs and at the same pay.

So, tell me again when it comes to playing games...women are now incapable of competing equally and fairly? Why they need to get special accommodations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 10:24 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Bull pucky!
Well! I guess you won that argument -- very insightful, thanks for sharing.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As a nation we have been told by our government, not to mention a multitude of liberal and feminist groups that there are no differences, that women are equal to men in all physical ways. Every job in the military is now open to women. Women are employed as police and fighters, jobs where a physical failing can mean serious injury or death. So in all these areas we are told that women are equal, have to have the same jobs and at the same pay.

So, tell me again when it comes to playing games...women are now incapable of competing equally and fairly? Why they need to get special accommodations?
Understand you're doing a devil's advocate thing here. Since I have rarely if ever agreed with those political opinions that more often than not ignore biological realities, not really sure what else to say here.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:54 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Dennis Hastert exposed himself as the true face of the GOP in the Illinois school district locker room.
Then I guess Weiner is the "true face" of the dem party.

Bill Clinton is the "true face" of the dem party for his lying and having his law license suspened.

All the dem politician crooks in jail are the "true face" of the dem party.

Feel better?

Can posters get any sillier?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It was juniors hockey but I played on a team with a transgender MTF. She wasn't good enough to play on the men's team but at 6'4" and a decent player, she crushed in women's hockey. It was a bit frustrating because from sheer size alone, there were NO women who could compete. Since this was before NCAA would allow any transgender players on women's teams and she wouldn't have hacked it at D1 men's hockey, she never played collegiate hockey like the rest of us. Shoot, we were just starting to enjoy the benefits of parity in women's collegiate sports back then. Not sure how I would have felt if a potential scholarship or spot was lost to a transgender since there were distinct physical advantages she had women could never overcome due to biology alone.
So the question would be assuming she had a year of hormone therapy would she have a clear advantage over a non trans women that was 6'4?
On another note the LGBT Sports Coalition that includes organizations such as "You Can Play" and "Athlete Ally" have surveyed collegiate athletes on the topic of transgender inclusion, and most are in favor. Over-all though I think FtM will be pretty rare in sports. We have had several MtF trans college athletes.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:38 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It isn't fair to women, and does defeat the purpose of women's sports. And hormones are not the only reason men are stronger, faster, and taller than women. They would have a natural advantage.
I agree. Allowing boys and men to play on girl's and women's sport teams is not fair to females.

We can't change our gender any more than we can change our species.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Any more insightful input to contribute?
It said it all. It's like saying children should be fighting with grown men in MMA. I'm not one of those people who think women should be in combat, but even if I was, you're statement is wrong. The entire reason for segregated sports is because men have a natural advantage over women in size and strength and speed.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Well! I guess you won that argument -- very insightful, thanks for sharing.
It wasn't an argument. I disagreed and felt no need to elaborate because my earlier posts said it all.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Dennis Hastert exposed himself
I see what you did there...

Old 05-14-2016, 01:38 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
So the question would be assuming she had a year of hormone therapy would she have a clear advantage over a non trans women that was 6'4?
On another note the LGBT Sports Coalition that includes organizations such as "You Can Play" and "Athlete Ally" have surveyed collegiate athletes on the topic of transgender inclusion, and most are in favor. Over-all though I think FtM will be pretty rare in sports. We have had several MtF trans college athletes.
At least in ice hockey, the answer would be yes, there would an advantage. In my life, I've had the advantage to play hockey with several D1 men's hockey guys and a few NHL guys. I've known women who were some of the best skaters I've ever seen and they would not be able to keep up with those guys - because of size. Know why you don't see short guys in the NHL? Same reason you don't see short guys in the NBA. There's an advantage in size in those sports. Just the way it is.

Look, there's already too few scholarships (and teams) for women in collegiate sports. Shoot, back in my day, we were finally just getting around to enjoying some sense of parity in our collegiate programs. As you noted, there's very few FtM transgender collegiate athletes but several MfF ones. Why? Because there's an advantage for those MtF athletes. So, we get to see yet another thing to compete against in women's sports when it's hard enough for women already to get proper funding and recognition from these schools. Great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies