Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:10 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steanescarlett View Post
I really don't understand why. I myself have been arrested once when I was younger and what happened was I had accidentally hit a curb (I was 24) but didn't hit anyone, but a cop pulled me over. I told him I had only 2 beers to drink and it was a few hours priot and he made me do a sobriety test and could easily do everything he asked, and he did the follow the pen, walk in a straight line, etc. etc. yet he still arrested me anyway for drunk driving. I have also found many videos on youtube where the person is complying and is totally sober such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOob...kyD8kTuGyX2Wj8

Yet still arrested, wtf? If stupid quota cops need their quotas met so damn bad why even bother with the stupid sobriety test and just have you take a breathalyzer? Ever since I have had a great distrust of police and hope to never encounter them again. You may say "Well, you DID drink" but as I said it was only 2 beers and it was several hours after wards so while I did show up on the breathalyzer test (which was obviously FAR below the legal limit), what's the point of even HAVING a "legal limit" if you can be below it, pass the stupid sobriety test and STILL get arrested??
Oh, gee, you "could easily do everything he asked" but weren't coordinated enough to keep your car in the driving lane and not hit a curb. Something, apparently, was "impaired".

Were you actually convicted or did you plead guilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:24 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
Quote:
Then why do they allow restaurants to sell alcohol at all? I was at a friends bachelorette party at cracker barrel for crying out loud. Does this mean anyone who just has a few beers at a restaurant that legally sells alcohol should stay 5 or 6 hours there before leaving?

And again, what is the point of having any kind of alcohol limit if you can still get arrested for being under it?
Cabs, buses, Uber, designated drivers, walking... there are many options other than driving after drinking. If you can't figure that out you probably shouldn't be driving at all.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:30 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The limit is per SE... Where you are deemed legally drunk... You can still be arrested for being under the influence as you well know.. For being impaired at any level below .08 bac or 5 ngm mj.. Or the presence of prescription medication. This just means that the arrest is weighted in observations and physical evidence .. In your case you had an accident AND you had consumed alcohol. The consumption of an intoxicant affects your ability to operate a motor vehicle at any level.
Some states also have much lower levels for different types of licenses

There should be..as other posters have stated..zero tolerance for drunk or drugged driving. Someone is being murdered or injured every 120 seconds by drunk drivers. The average drunk/ drug driving injury accident costs 2.1 million dollars today and untold suffering and injury.. It affects all of us.

If you recreate don't get near a car

You might benefit and depending upon your state being ordered to a DUI class where you could learn about the science of how your body processes alcohol or drugs.an intoxiclock demonstration shows people can process about one drink per hour.. From over the limit or where you start impairment to being sober.. Sober defined as zero percent ..but to not being Per SE... Most dmvs include the card in your license renewal showing the chart of impairment

What was the outcome.. Did you plead out to a wet and reckless or driving while impaired?... A lesser charge than dui but the same for insurance purposes... Insurance companies tend not to want to insure people who operate altered...at least at the same rates as normal drivers...

The average drunk driver has statistically operated drunk numerous times before they were caught.

No sympathy..no excuse... If you put that mantra into your thought process BEFORE you recreate it will help you... And save others. A cab.. A designated driver.. An enforced no drive policy by any participant and by a gracious and intelligent host is the best practice.

To play the Devil's advocate, BAC levels are not the most accurate yardstick of any one persons cognitive ability to drive. (To an extent of course).

A level of .05 may seriously hinder one person but have little measurable effect on the next.
Metabolism and tolerance come into play in ways that BAC levels simply cannot account for.

Also, there's no other crime that I can think of where 2 people can do the exact same thing, and one can be found be guilty and the other not guilty.

Say two people both consume X number of drinks in a certain time frame and one person will be over the limit due to a slower metabolism, while a person with a faster metabolism will blow under the limit and not be charged.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not advocating drinking and driving, and I agree the best course of action is to simply not drink before driving at all.

I'm just saying that the system used for determining guilt or innocence is far from perfect.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:37 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
I really don't understand why. I myself have been arrested once when I was younger and what happened was I had accidentally hit a curb (I was 24) but didn't hit anyone, but a cop pulled me over. I told him I had only 2 beers to drink and it was a few hours priot and he made me do a sobriety test and could easily do everything he asked, and he did the follow the pen, walk in a straight line, etc. etc. yet he still arrested me anyway for drunk driving. I have also found many videos on youtube where the person is complying and is totally sober such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOob...kyD8kTuGyX2Wj8

Yet still arrested, wtf? If stupid quota cops need their quotas met so damn bad why even bother with the stupid sobriety test and just have you take a breathalyzer? Ever since I have had a great distrust of police and hope to never encounter them again. You may say "Well, you DID drink" but as I said it was only 2 beers and it was several hours after wards so while I did show up on the breathalyzer test (which was obviously FAR below the legal limit), what's the point of even HAVING a "legal limit" if you can be below it, pass the stupid sobriety test and STILL get arrested??
I wonder if you would have the same opinion if one of your loved ones was killed in a car accident by someone who had been drinking, ANY amount.

I DOUBT it.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:39 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
In the case you describe (you hit a curb), the officer would have had plenty of cause to detain you, skip a step and make you undergo a breathalyzer test without bothering with the field sobriety test. But we generally speaking don't want police officers to not follow protocol. So if his PD's SOP is field sobriety test in every case, then field sobriety test it is.

I don't see where you have a complaint here, truth be told.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,726,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Don't drink and drive, problem solved.

Don't bother me until there is an accident, problem solved.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The only correct position on the thread

Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you have an accident and either hurt or worse kill someone, it is too late.

You ARE the problem!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,498 times
The sheer amount of hypocrisy is unbelievable.. whether it be police that flash their badges or all types of happy hour alcohol promotions. having one beer or glass of wine at dinner then jumping into a vehicle is essentially drinking and driving.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:51 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
How did you do on the breathalyzer test? I find it hard to believe that you failed that after only 2 beers hours before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies