Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:55 PM

179 posts, read 248,613 times

Advertisements

^ Exactly.

And if we as a country decide to ramp up our collective meddling in other people's affairs, couldn't we start by mandating that people wear more clothes than they tend to wear? Couldn't we get people to pull up their pants? Maybe if we can accomplish that, we can consider forcing women to stop wearing clothing that we believe is being forced upon them by someone else.

Last edited by High Plains Guy; 05-14-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
However I think hijab should be discouraged, and burqa should be banned.
What's next? Are you going to discourage the Amish, Christians who have been in the United States for over 250 years, from wearing their traditional head coverings?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
Possibly because they are being murdered back home.
Or blamed for being a rape victim.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Everyone who has commented I hope you said the exact same thing concerning the Confederate flag that was ripped off that guys truck.

Respect the rights of the individual.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM

^ Fully agreed. The beauty of this country, at least what it is symbolically if not actually, is that we have freedom here that many other countries do not have. So, while everyone should have the right to wear whatever clothing they want to wear, or wave a flag they want to wave, everyone else has the right to cast mean looks at these people all they want... But attacking them, or stealing their property, should always be unacceptable.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Nobody should force others to do so. However I think hijab should be discouraged, and burqa should be banned.
I see. So, Amish shouldn't wear their clothing. Huh. And Orthodox Jewsih men should refrain from those crazy shtreimels, right? And saris and Buddhist monks should also stop, to say nothing of the Pope's tiara, is that about right?

I mean, why can't you let people live their lives and dress how they wish and you and them just go about your business? Who made you the arbiter of what is acceptable expression of faith, and what is not? You know, this an attack on freedom of religions and all them crazy right wingers are gonna post awful things about your effort to stamp out religious expression. Right? I mean, don't people have better things to concern themselves with?

Jeebus...

Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
How very altruistic of you.

How do you know that women here in the United States who wear burka or hijab are doing so against their will?

Because it's a common practice in the countries that they come from.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 PM

It's also a common practice in the countries that they came from to choose to wear this clothing, with no coercing involved. So where do we go from here?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So what's a "measured response" to seeing a woman wearing a hijab?
Well, in the almost entirely Muslim nation of Turkey, the hijab was banned by law until very recently. So I suppose that a measure response in Turkey would have been to arrest the woman and perhaps forcibly take the thing off of her head.

I'm not suggesting that the USA should do the same. I just find it interesting that many Muslim countries also see the hijab as a vestige of barbarism and that it makes their country seem backwards.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
It's also a common practice in the countries that they came from to choose to wear this clothing, with no coercing involved. So where do we go from here?
Be adults and let people choose to wear and do as they wish as long as they don't iniatiate force on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies