Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Who's 'they'?
Brown-colored people. Doesn't matter which ones, any of 'em will do. Long as they're brown, they're scary as hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Religion workers are different. They can wear their uniform.
So it is only okay for those you approve of, that makes sense.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,263 times
Quote:
How is you wanting to force women to expose their heads any better than (some) Muslim men wanting them to force them to cover them?

All it becomes is a tug of war in who gets to control how women dress.
*duplicated

Old 05-15-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
How is you wanting to force women to expose their heads any better than (some) Muslim men wanting them to force them to cover them?

All it becomes is a tug of war in who gets to control how women dress.
The difference is, I want to allow their women to choose freely. I do not FORCE them to expose their face, but encourage it. I believe most women (especially beautiful women) want to expose their face.

Many Muslim women in Turkey, central Asia and China do expose their face. It is great.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
So it is only okay for those you approve of, that makes sense.
It makes sense for people to wear uniforms related to their job.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Social norms can change, but usually not abruptly.
The true problem here is many Muslims do not allow their women to choose freely, and you guys keep avoiding talking about this.
Nobody's avoiding it, Yueng-ling - but what is there to say? You think any of us disagree with you? The problem is (and the point is) your idea doesn't do anything to address that. You can't give women the right to wear whatever they want to wear by taking away their right to wear whatever they want to wear. I know it's well-intentioned, but it's just wrong thinking.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Nobody's avoiding it, Yueng-ling - but what is there to say? You think any of us disagree with you? The problem is (and the point is) your idea doesn't do anything to address that. You can't give women the right to wear whatever they want to wear by taking away their right to wear whatever they want to wear. I know it's well-intentioned, but it's just wrong thinking.
I have said many times, I do not force them to abandon hijabs, but ENCOURAGE it.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
It makes sense for people to wear uniforms related to their job.
It also makes sense for people to wear uniforms related to their religion. The Jews do it, does that bother you too? Heck, Hasidic Jews have tons of weird rules, why doesn't that bother you? Instead it is only the Muslims that you are concerned about....

Old 05-15-2016, 01:06 AM

977 posts, read 1,010,696 times
When in Rome do as the Romans do. We have a culture here. I think it's pretty disrespectful to be doing that here. If I was in some Arab place I'm sure they would be offended if a woman was in a bathing suit, but that's different right? I honestly am offended when I see these people here doing that.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
When in Rome do as the Romans do. We have a culture here. I think it's pretty disrespectful to be doing that here. If I was in some Arab place I'm sure they would be offended if a woman was in a bathing suit, but that's different right? I honestly am offended when I see these people here doing that.
What is offensive about it? It is just a woman covering up, should every woman be walking around in her underwear in the US? Granted the moment she pulls out a boob to feed a baby, then she should cover up. We live in a weird culture that is all about over exposure, but prudish when someone is considered to be "over exposed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies