Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If the question is just about people who drink, rather than people who are drunk, then I vote "smokers." I won't be around people who smoke - and for all the smokers who are whining, "oh, you're so judgmental," grow up. I'm not judging you for your poor decisionmaking and self-destructive behavior - I just don't want to be around you because you stink. And if I spend any time with you, then I smell disgusting too.

What does this have to do with politics, anyway?

Well, it is called "politics and OTHER controversies"........

(Something I wish mods would remember when they start moving or editing threads.....but I digress)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 07:32 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama is a smoker and I'm really hoping he did not smoke in the WH. I'd hope that stink can be fumigated.
They had to cleanse Boehner's office when Ryan moved in due to cig smoke.

My friend in real estate has begun to use companies like ServPro that specialize in fire & water damage to detoxify homes/businesses from cig smoke. It's expensive as hell but the only way to rid the home/business of the stench.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Alcoholics...they cause more death and destruction. Smoking disgusts me though.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:45 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
They had to cleanse Boehner's office when Ryan moved in due to cig smoke.

My friend in real estate has begun to use companies like ServPro that specialize in fire & water damage to detoxify homes/businesses from cig smoke. It's expensive as hell but the only way to rid the home/business of the stench.
A lot of ads for rentals in this area now state "no smokers", and many landlords will allow pets before they'll consider smokers. Some apartment complexes advertise themselves as "smoke free" or having buildings that are "smoke free".

Old 05-17-2016, 07:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Then I'm sure you don't grill. That might push you over the edge.
Oh don't worry, "second hand" grill smoke is on the nanny stater's agenda too....their just too preoccupied with what bathroom 0.3% of the population can or can't use at the moment to bring that up.

But rest assured, they'll get to it eventually.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:52 AM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama is a smoker and I'm really hoping he did not smoke in the WH. I'd hope that stink can be fumigated.
Agreed, but how are we going to fumigate the country from Obama's "stink". It will take decades to regain lost ground Obama squandered, after telling us he was going to squander it.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:07 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
I do like the fact that is now considered taboo to light up a cigarette in any indoor space. I remember a time when it was the total opposite.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,798 times
As human beings, alcoholics.

As affecting my personal well being while around them, smokers.

I used to work as a window washer, which required a lot of time to be spent in a truck traveling from house to house, and one of my coworkers who was a smoker would only roll his window down about 1 inch and hold the burning cigarette in the middle of the cab while smoking. As you could probably imagine, it was quite annoying.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I wonder how you manage to deal with car exhaust?
Car exhaust is not as harmful compared to how it used to be. And also, it's not directly in my face like it is when someone walking in front of me on the sidewalk is smoking.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 05-17-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 10:39 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
The difference, my myopic friend is that we don't go to populated areas where people are breathing and start grilling (such as sidewalks, common areas etc. And I doubt if anyone would equate the stench of burning tobacco with the aroma of food cooking (sociopaths excepted).
Exactly. Not sure how hard it is to understand the difference between someone grilling in their yard and people smoking on public sidewalks.

For context, this is exactly what my 30 minute daily walk to/from work looks like in terms of street congestion (Financial District in downtown SF):

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UlgVSfiPjPA/maxresdefault.jpg
This pic is actually of London, but it's the exact same crowdedness.

If one or more of them decide to smoke, which is often the case, those clouds of smoke are going right in your face, and you're pretty much physically trapped. Imagine dealing with up to an hour of that every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies