Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
too little too late
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sigh...I'm going to miss Obama

On the OP, I am an HBCU graduate and Condoleeza Rice came to my alma mater for an event/speech and it was very much attended. There was a lot of rumbling about her on our social media pages, but the consensus was that they would come and hear what she had to say and that it was an honor for a former secretary of state to come to our institution, which is the truth.

I was sad I was out of town and couldn't go to see her. I would have gotten her autograph and taken a picture with her.
Well, Rice did speak at my commencement, years ago, when she was a young, relatively unknown professor. Little did I know she would become S of S years later. Maybe that's why even though I disagree with the policies she did for the Bush Administration, I still respect her as a very accomplished person.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

74 posts, read 88,935 times
Seconding the notion that Nazi Germany wasn't PC.

PC is, as simply as i can explain it, the idea of calling something as it should be and not calling it something that is incorrect, misrepresentative, or potentially offensive. it IS NOT a wave of people trying to silence others or attacking people.

police states dont do this. they silence all dissenting voices to control.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...203403559.html

Good for him, he took on the precious snowflakes! he also gives a plug to cops at the bottom of the article

"I don't think it's a secret that I disagree with many of the policies of Dr. Rice and the previous administration. But the notion that this community or this country would be better served by not hearing a former secretary of state or not hearing what she had to say — I believe that's misguided," Obama said. "I don't think that's how democracy works best, when we're not even willing to listen to each other."

He added:

If you disagree with somebody, bring them in and ask them tough questions. Hold their feet to the fire, make them defend their positions. ... Don't be scared to take somebody on. Don't feel like you got to shut your ears off because you're too fragile and somebody might offend your sensibilities. Go at them if they're not making any sense.

In recent years, commencement speeches have occasionally become flash points for campus activism."
And people would have been more interested if he had a history of actually following his own advice.
But he doesn't. His door has been closed to all who disagree with him even as he has declared it was open! And THEN he chides the opposition for their lack of ideas.

He passed sweeping legislation without even revealing what it was that was being passed.
He rudely reminded the opposition that "he won" in order to silence their arguments.
He posted Paul Ryan in the front row during a speech and then publicly excoriated Ryan.
His ACA agenda was in danger, so he simply lied.
He disagreed with SCOTUS so he publicly rebuked them.

No. Obama pretends to listen; pretends to hear the opposition; pretends to be fair. But he's not. He's merely urging others to do what he will not.

Later in that same speech he went on to ridicule and chide and so on. A smaller, less effective President would be hard to name.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 AM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post

PC is, as simply as i can explain it, the idea of calling something as the left thinks it should be and not calling it what it actually IS. it IS certainly a wave of people trying to silence others or attacking people when the truth is deemed as unkind or for having opposing viewpoints that don't conform to their Marxist world view.

There, fixed it for you.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes he is. and this is not the first time he has spoken out on this sort of thing.

credit to bammers.
How about a few examples of Obama speaking out on this sort of thing. Did he speak up in 2014, the year Rice was supposed to be commencement speaker. I think as he gets closer to being ex-prez, no election to worry about, his views 'evolved' into what he told students this year.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:

PC is, as simply as i can explain it, the idea of calling something as it should be and not calling it something that is incorrect, misrepresentative, or potentially offensive. it IS NOT a wave of people trying to silence others or attacking people.

No, these days PC is most often invoked as a cop-out by individuals who love to crow about free speech, but can't stand it when others exercise their free speech to comment and often critique their views. Kind of a cheap, intellectually-bankrupt way to justify their views.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No, I've given up on watching the TV network national or 24/7 news - it takes too long to sort through.

No, if you're accusing the Liberals of being One ideology, it's flattering, I'm sure - but not true. In Nazi Germany there wasn't political correctness, for the reasons I mentioned. There was simply a long freefall of political rights & protections into the abyss. & then a plunging of the Western World into war & chaos.
You are welcome to live in denial all you like. Ultimately, just because Nazism and Liberalism are at extreme opposites of the political spectrum, the tactics used in the furtherance of Nazism are currently being used by liberals. Liberals shout down, intimidate and bully on campuses. Sure, Nazism was more cohesive. Quite true that the Democratic Party is afflicted with multiple personality disorder. But the threatening, bullying, coercive, "if you don't think like us, you're a bad person and have no right to speak" tactics are remarkably similar to Nazi Germany.

Frankly, it's quite hilarious to watch the Dems tripping all over each other fighting for completely contradictory causes and using the same "if you're not with us, you're a terrible person and have no right to speak" tactics. For example, it is highly amusing to watch the Dems embrace and defend Islam and Feminism at the same time.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:32 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Do as I say and not as I do.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:

Speaking truthfully, in correct terms, without misrepresenting is potentially offensive. Thus PC rules out frank, accurate discussion of a wide range of topics and makes society stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies