Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM

404 posts, read 366,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
And therein lies the problem! The archaic, backward mentality of thinking that healthcare, in this modern day and age, is "compensation," and that one's access to it should depend on whoever your employer is.

NO. An individual's life and health is sacrosanct. It is the most important thing in a person's life. To say that your access to healthcare should have any dependence on who your employer is, and what benefits that they provide is utterly preposterous. Maybe when we were living in the dark ages and didn't have the knowledge and institutions we do now, but there's no excuse anymore.
Uh oh, hold up and slow down! You are starting to make sense here in PaoC, and we just cant have that.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified...

Officially qualifies as the most ridiculous thread of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You have the right to health care. You do not have the right to make me pay for it.
Stop making sense, these people believe money is printed so it must be free.

There actually may be some truth to the fluoride theory

Old 05-16-2016, 06:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Totally agree with you on this, but i think the military gets too much tbh.

Anyways bernie cant say anything like that because it will get twisted like he is attacking the military
Why do you snowflakes believe you deserve "free" stuff that someone else has earned?

To me that's despicable.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM

155 posts, read 101,510 times
Quote:
As I said, you want "free" stuff as long as someone else pays for it.

You have the right to health care. You don't have the right to make me pay for it.
Well, I have the right to live in a nation that is secure, and a community that is safe. Do I have the right to make you pay for the military and the police that make this possible? Regardless of what your answer is, you are paying for it. And so am I. And I am reasonably certain that the whole basis of government and taxation is "making people pay for things."

What does the military and the police have in common with healthcare? All ultimately come down to self-preservation. We have decided to "make everyone pay" for the military and the police because the desire and need for self-preservation and safety exists in all rational individuals. So if it's something that everyone needs, why shouldn't everyone pay, just like we do with the military and the police? Nobody, save for anarchists, would say that there should be competing militaries and police forces that provide their private services to whoever wants to pay for it. Such a system has not worked in any known civilization, and it is safe to say it will not work. How would you feel if the police refused to answer your call because you forgot to pay them that month for their services, and they sent you a bill for $10,000, but the neighbor across the street who had a "police insurance plan" was given no-charge service? That's exactly how it is for healthcare right now. I say it is just as absurd for healthcare to not be funded by taxation and provided to all citizens equally as it would be for police to not be funded by taxation and provided for all citizens equally - both involve the universal human desire for self-preservation and security, one from disease/injury and the other from crime.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Lesson number 1: You are living in a real world, not an ideal world. In an ideal world, everything is free because there is no competition, there is no power struggle. In a real world, everything is earned.

Lesson number 2: Don't even bother to suggest that it’s okay for the nation to renege
on the promises made to the men and women, the 1 percent of our population, who, at any one time, have fought our wars.

. Somehow they seem to think that the place to solve our national financial problems is on the shoulders of those who serve in
uniform. Military men and women have lived up to their end of the contract and have performed. Changing the backend of that contract after the front end has been delivered is reprehensible.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Why do you snowflakes believe you deserve "free" stuff that someone else has earned?

To me that's despicable.
Why do you people believe that someone should be compensated not only more than what they are worth, but just for doing their job.

And to me, THAT is despicable.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well, I have the right to live in a nation that is secure, and a community that is safe. Do I have the right to make you pay for the military and the police that make this possible? Regardless of what your answer is, you are paying for it. And so am I. And I am reasonably certain that the whole basis of government and taxation is "making people pay for things."

What does the military and the police have in common with healthcare? All ultimately come down to self-preservation. We have decided to "make everyone pay" for the military and the police because the desire and need for self-preservation and safety exists in all rational individuals. So if it's something that everyone needs, why shouldn't everyone pay, just like we do with the military and the police? Nobody, save for anarchists, would say that there should be competing militaries and police forces that provide their private services to whoever wants to pay for it. Such a system has not worked in any known civilization, and it is safe to say it will not work. How would you feel if the police refused to answer your call because you forgot to pay them that month for their services, and they sent you a bill for $10,000, but the neighbor across the street who had a "police insurance plan" was given no-charge service? That's exactly how it is for healthcare right now. I say it is just as absurd for healthcare to not be funded by taxation and provided to all citizens equally as it would be for police to not be funded by taxation and provided for all citizens equally - both involve the universal human desire for self-preservation and security, one from disease/injury and the other from crime.

These are known as "public goods", meaning that everyone pays for them whether they want them or not.

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Quote:
I don't believe I deserve anything other than equal rights. I merely believe that all citizens should be treated equally under the law.
Joining the military is taking on a job. Govt health care for soldiers is a perk that comes with the job.

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
I highly doubt you're paying for much of anything. The fact that you can't differentiate between earning something and wanting something (envy is a deadly sin) tells me all I need to know about where you are coming from.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM

155 posts, read 101,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Lesson number 1: You are living in a real world, not an ideal world. In an ideal world, everything is free because there is no competition, there is no power struggle. In a real world, everything is earned.

Lesson number 2: Don't even bother to suggest that it’s okay for the nation to renege
on the promises made to the men and women, the 1 percent of our population, who, at any one time, have fought our wars.

. Somehow they seem to think that the place to solve our national financial problems is on the shoulders of those who serve in
uniform. Military men and women have lived up to their end of the contract and have performed. Changing the backend of that contract after the front end has been delivered is reprehensible.
I have never stated that the military should not get the benefits that it does right now. All I am saying is that everyone should get the same benefits as the military does. A Canadian civilian has healthcare and education benefits. So does a member of the Canadian military. Is Canada a failed state, is it going bankrupt? Is the military pissed that the civilians are getting the same benefits as they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies