Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Jayy View Post
I am saying that healthcare isn't something that should be earned, or considered as compensation, unless it is premium healthcare like medically unnecessary plastic surgery or high-end skin treatments. I think access to basic healthcare should be free for everyone at point of service, and that there is nothing to be earned, except through the rights of citizenship. Just as nobody has to earn the right to have a military or a police force OTHER THAN paying taxes and being a citizen of the nation that you are paying taxes to.
That is fine and dandy, but you are still ignoring that:

#1 Healthcare for military IS compensation so you are not having your rights infringed upon by those employees having it and you as a non-employee not having it.

#2 Contrary to what you keep saying, you get police protection whether or not you pay taxes.

John Doe: "Help 911 there is an emergency, someone is breaking into my home!"

911 Dispatch: "I am going to need to see your tax returns before we proceed."

Old 05-16-2016, 07:29 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
That is fine and dandy, but you are still ignoring that:

#1 Healthcare for military IS compensation so you are not having your rights infringed upon by those employees having it and you as a non-employee not having it.

#2 Contrary to what you keep saying, you get police protection whether or not you pay taxes.

John Doe: "Help 911 there is an emergency, someone is breaking into my home!"

911 Dispatch: "I am going to need to see your tax returns before we proceed.
"
bravo!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions? Do we live in a caste society or a society where everyone has equal rights (I thought it was the latter?)

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits. To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.
People in the military are not getting anything for free. They have to deal with military life to get anything - so when you're ready to sacrifice all that they do, even in peacetime, because you do NOT have all the freedoms of a civilian when you're in the military - you are owned by the government - (another reason I'll never understand people who want to be owned by the government with a bunch of freebies) - let us know.

Lying on your couch whining about you not having healthcare is not even in the same ballpark as what a soldier goes through on a daily basis - even in peacetime.

I've heard some whines on here, but this takes the cake.

By the way, I have VA healthcare. I have VA insurance for a dentist. I have insurance through the VA for my eyes.

You have NO idea what you're barking about when it comes to "free" healthcare. First of all, I don't get it for free. I have to pay for it. While active, yeah, it was free---but unless it was an emergency, (TRUE emergency not the sniffles or a headache), you waited. And you waited. And you waited. You didn't see the doctor in a week. You didn't see the doctor in a month. Try 3 months or more.

Second of all, there's nice long waiting lists even now. When it came to surgery on my broken ankle, yes, I was fortunate, but keep in mind, I served this country, I did my duty, I put up with a LOT of B!S! to get that "free" healthcare. If I need other things that are "urgent" but not "life-threatening", it's going to cost a pretty penny to get seen right away.

Know what you're complaining about before you complain about how hard you have it.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM

155 posts, read 101,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
bravo!
Well, that just strengthens my argument further in a way. It's an example of a service that is provided free at the point of service to all regardless of whether they have themselves paid for it directly. Society as a whole pays for it, has agreed to pay for it, and will continue to pay for it.

What is so god-awful about healthcare being the same way, where everyone collectively pays for a service that eventually everyone will need (well, most people, anyway)? We are already collectively paying for the healthcare and education of the military. Why not collectively pay for the healthcare and education of our entire society, as many other societies have already done? If your answer is "because we cannot afford it," isn't basically saying that non-military are second-class citizens?

Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Well, that just strengthens my argument further in a way. It's an example of a service that is provided free at the point of service to all regardless of whether they have themselves paid for it directly. Society as a whole pays for it, has agreed to pay for it, and will continue to pay for it.

What is so god-awful about healthcare being the same way, where everyone collectively pays for a service that eventually everyone will need (well, most people, anyway)? We are already collectively paying for the healthcare and education of the military. Why not collectively pay for the healthcare and education of our entire society, as many other societies have already done? If your answer is "because we cannot afford it," isn't basically saying that non-military are second-class citizens?
Like I said earlier, I sincerely hope someday, for your own sake, you learn how to negotiate a good compensation package instead of thinking everything should be given to you freely simply because you are paying a little tax.

That is all I have to say.

By the way, is there any reason why you haven't joined the military? You should join and get some.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Totally agree with you on this, but i think the military gets too much tbh.

Anyways bernie cant say anything like that because it will get twisted like he is attacking the military
Yeah, all these guys "got too much":

Veterans Who Lost Limbs - Bing images

I'm just going to stop now before I get myself banned...despite how much you deserve the words I would say.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions?
On the basis of an employment contract between the individual and the federal government.

Quote:
And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way?
Probably because military members are paid far less than their civilian counterparts, and because the federal minimum wage and State minimum wage laws do not apply to military members and because the Fair Labor Standards Act does not apply to military members.....you can work over-time forever and never be compensated.

Quote:
He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits.
Those benefits are not free.

Quote:
To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.
So the federal government operates its own Worker's Compensation program and you're mad about that.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
People in the military get education benefits and healthcare benefits that non-military members do not. I believe that people who serve in the military deserve all of the benefits that they get and more besides. But why should a person who has not served and will not serve in the military, either because he is not qualified, or because he does not wish to, not have access to the same benefits that people in the military receive? On what grounds can it be justified to provide unequal social benefits to people in different professions? Do we live in a caste society or a society where everyone has equal rights (I thought it was the latter?)

And why isn't Bernie Sanders framing the healthcare and education issue in this way? He keeps blabbering on about how Western European countries, England, Canada have free healthcare and education. He hasn't mentioned once that a lot of Americans - people serving in the military - already get these benefits. To treat a sick person differently depending on whether that person is a member of the military or not seems to me absurd.
With the miniscule amount of money that we pay our military, the least we can do is take care of their health needs.

ThIs why I have zero respect for liberals: You seem to have no problem with paying the average career welfare recipient to sit on their lazy ***** at home while paying for their food, housing, utilities, and everything else - with money stolen from actual workers - and try to shout down those of us who complain about evident welfare fraud. However, God forbid that we take care of the people who make it possible for not only those welfare recipients to receive other people's money, but also protect your right to spout meaningless drivel like this thread. And now, you want to claim that because you were born, you deserve the same benefits as the men and women who selflessly sacrifice years of their lives - and sometimes all of their life - to protect you. You aren't deserving of their benefits, go earn your own.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 PM

404 posts, read 366,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yeah, all these guys "got too much":

Veterans Who Lost Limbs - Bing images

I'm just going to stop now before I get myself banned...despite how much you deserve the words I would say.
You can say whatever you want. I dont deserve anything. Im allowed to think ehat i think. As for the pics, they knew what they were getting into when they signed that dotted line.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianvegan View Post
Our hospitals are just as good if not better (I'll bet on better). He could have had that surgery anywhere in Canada and been fine.
Top 25 Hospitals on earth:
Canada 0
US 17

Top 100 Hospitals on earth:
Canada 2
US 53

World | Ranking Web of Hospitals

You are a fool if you think that he traveled to the US where he would pay $$$$$$$$ for a surgery, simply because he had a condo here...instead of getting it for free where he lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies