Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times

Advertisements

The way I see it is things like this showcase the true intentions of the conservative platform for the rest of the nation to see. I personally know several formerly staunch conservatives who are seriously questioning their own party's platform these days. They are actually considering voting Democrat for the first time ever. Not that the Dems are any better on some issues but these oppressive laws are beginning to take their toll on people. The hard right Christian fundamentalist movement seems to be finally, at long last, coming to an end. The rejection of Cruz the dominionist was a good sign and a major step in the right direction.

How is this going to look to the rest of the population in Oklahoma when the bill comes due for this legal fiasco they will surely lose? Similar bills that have been attempted here in Texas have been met with similar derision from segments of the population that still have the ability to think critically. Even here I'm starting to see the right wing platform beginning to wobble. They are hastening their own demise and don't even realize it. That's the bright side to all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
The way I see it is things like this showcase the true intentions of the conservative platform for the rest of the nation to see. I personally know several formerly staunch conservatives who are seriously questioning their own party's platform these days. They are actually considering voting Democrat for the first time ever. Not that the Dems are any better on some issues but these oppressive laws are beginning to take their toll on people. The hard right Christian fundamentalist movement seems to be finally, at long last, coming to an end. The rejection of Cruz the dominionist was a good sign and a major step in the right direction.

How is this going to look to the rest of the population in Oklahoma when the bill comes due for this legal fiasco they will surely lose? Similar bills that have been attempted here in Texas have been met with similar derision from segments of the population that still have the ability to think critically. Even here I'm starting to see the right wing platform beginning to wobble. They are hastening their own demise and don't even realize it. That's the bright side to all of this.

Down Under: being raised in another nation, that is not as unique as the USA is in the form of governing and coming here, then not understanding liberty has consequences and rewards. The intention was, government would not run your lives, like they do today(passing of the 16th amendment put us all in bondage to the government)

Old 05-21-2016, 08:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Vetoed.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
Republican Governor Vetoes Bill That Would Ban Abortion In Oklahoma

How sad. A bill that would have protected the most vulnerable of us.

While the little ones don't have a voice, their cries are heard.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

It wouldn't have protected anyone from anything.

It would, however, have cost Oklahoma taxpayers real money. It isn't cheap to defend a law that is null and void from the moment it is passed.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh good, another abortion thread, where the exact same talking points get dragged out, the same arguments and name calling are used, no one changes anyone's mind, rendering the entire "discussion" pointless. Just like last time...and the 30 times before that. Until anyone can actually talk about this without calling people "hateful, Bible thumping, inbred wingnuts" or "baby killers", nothing will ever change. (And no, I will never stop considering those who condone abortion as anything but baby killers.)

But here's the fun part: If you don't like this law, don't live in Oklahoma. It's that simple. Go find a state that allows you to kill as many babies as you want. Oklahoma is passing it, it's Oklahoma's business, not yours if you don't live in Oklahoma. Take care of your state first before you start trying to "resolve" issues" that do not pertain to you in other states.
*Fetuses*. There, I corrected your typo.

We can talk about it because we are allowed to comment on the stupidity of the conservative mindset. Who rail on and on about government waste, yet waste government time and money on show bills that will never stand legal tests.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

No, they aren't because they aren't born. Her state is already facing a shortfall. Why should she sign a bill that anyone with two brain cells know is going to get overturned? Oklahoma sits under the 10th circuit, which is left of center now. They are not going to uphold an abortion law. Furthermore, the Supreme Court won't even hear it. So what exactly would be the point besides patting themselves on the back?

Old 05-21-2016, 09:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It wouldn't have protected anyone from anything.

It would, however, have cost Oklahoma taxpayers real money. It isn't cheap to defend a law that is null and void from the moment it is passed.
Most of my conservative friends who lashed out on Facebook yesterday after Fallin vetoed this couldn't seem to comprehend the fact that this bill would have never become law, it just would have cost the people of Oklahoma tax money to defend it. There is absolutely no chance it would hold up in court and SCOTUS wouldn't even take the case if the state tried to appeal it. I tried to explain that but they just didn't get it. This is a problem with the religious right. They believe their political views are the views of God and can not and will not compromise and everything to them is about making a statement more than it is the practicalities of the matter. One actually told me that the abortion fight isn't about saving lives, its about banning the practice completely as well as proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most of my conservative friends who lashed out on Facebook yesterday after Fallin vetoed this couldn't seem to comprehend the fact that this bill would have never become law, it just would have cost the people of Oklahoma tax money to defend it. There is absolutely no chance it would hold up in court and SCOTUS wouldn't even take the case if the state tried to appeal it. I tried to explain that but they just didn't get it. This is a problem with the religious right. They believe their political views are the views of God and can not and will not compromise and everything to them is about making a statement more than it is the practicalities of the matter. One actually told me that the abortion fight isn't about saving lives, its about banning the practice completely as well as proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I'm all too familiar with the mind set.

We all have our hobbies, and campaigning against abortion and proselytizing are no sillier ways to spend your spare time than, say, tiddlywinks.

Just don't ask me to pay for it with my tax dollars. Fortunately, I live in a state where this situation would never arise. (Not to say that I never disagree with how my state spends money - just that this particular money-wasting futility would never arise.)

Old 05-21-2016, 10:04 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh good, another abortion thread, where the exact same talking points get dragged out, the same arguments and name calling are used, no one changes anyone's mind, rendering the entire "discussion" pointless. Just like last time...and the 30 times before that. Until anyone can actually talk about this without calling people "hateful, Bible thumping, inbred wingnuts" or "baby killers", nothing will ever change. (And no, I will never stop considering those who condone abortion as anything but baby killers.) But here's the fun part: If you don't like this law, don't live in Oklahoma. It's that simple. Go find a state that allows you to kill as many babies as you want. Oklahoma is passing it, it's Oklahoma's business, not yours if you don't live in Oklahoma. Take care of your state first before you start trying to "resolve" issues" that do not pertain to you in other states.
Do you understand that Oklahoma has a 1.3 billion dollar budget deficit, and that they have already made draconian cuts to education and medicaid? Where is the pro life concern for the 16,800 seniors and disabled people who are in all likelihood going to be kicked out of nursing homes? And in spite of that their legislature was willing to commit unknown millions of dollars into fighting a law that had no chance of ever being upheld as legal.

Looks like some people think that the only life worth saving is that of a fetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies