Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudVietnamVeteran View Post
Home Deport Allowed Her To Wear Her Hat

Her message is NOT about Trump. It's clearly about America. She has a right to her opinion, but...
If she was my employee, I'd have her remove the hat. I think it's bad for business to express political opinions in environments where there is regular interactions with customers. And I generally think it's a bad idea even when they don't.

[she can "say" whatever" she wants in her off hours]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 11:56 PM

455 posts, read 283,407 times
if i remember, after obama's re-election a white woman was fired at a similar retail outlet for getting into an argument with a customer and referring to obama in the discussion with the n word.

on here, the majority of conservatives defended her right to free speech and said the company was playing the pc card and suppressing her rights by terminating her.

funny how the white right doesnt bring that up now with this woman.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:06 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Home Depot worker's 'America was never great' hat sparks social media rage | SILive.com | May 18, 2016

When reached by the Advance on Wednesday afternoon, Home Depot spokesman Stephan Holmes said Lake's message on her hat does not reflect the opinions of Home Depot.

"We appreciate and understand the concerns of our loyal customers," he said. "In terms of the message, our associates are not permitted to wear items that reflect political statements.

"Unfortunately, no one on our management team saw her wearing the hat -- otherwise, they would have had her remove it immediately."

Lake, a Bernie Sanders supporter, said she has seen other employees wearing pro-Trump pins and pendants on their uniforms -- yet no one has ever told them not to wear them.

"For the past two months, there have been a few people I work with wearing 'Vote for Trump' pins on their uniforms," she said. "But no one ever says anything to them."

The spokesman added that leadership of the Forest Avenue store will be "following up with the matter to ensure that it will not happen again."

Old 05-21-2016, 12:08 AM

Home Depot Slams Its Worker's 'America Was Never Great' Cap - ABC News | May 19, 2016

Home Depot says one of its New York City stores will take steps to ensure employees aren't promoting political messages at work after one wore a cap opposing a Donald Trump slogan.

Atlanta-based Home Depot Inc. says workers aren't allowed to wear items reflecting political statements.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 AM

Home Depot worker could be fired if she wears 'America was never great' hat again | SILive.com | May 19, 2016

Home Depot told the Advance that the hat violates the store's policy, which prohibits employees from wearing "items that reflect political statements."

"No one on our management team saw her wearing the hat -- otherwise, they would have had her remove it immediately."

A spokesman for Home Depot on Thursday said that the home improvement chain has reiterated its dress code to all employees and that "there can be repercussions if some refuse to follow the policy."

"I'm not going to be specific about a single individual, but I can tell you that if someone refuses to follow any of our policies -- not just dress code -- it can lead to termination," the spokesman said.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:40 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
TRUMP SUPPORTERS :
"We love Trump because he speaks his mind"

TRUMP SUPPORTERS :
"She's receiving death threats for speaking her mind"
Who is justifying death threats?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:00 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
She has actually benefited from America's greatness, but does not see it. She is about to get her degree in media studies and is looking for a job in her career field (which is probably why she did what she did). She stated that her "whole thing was" she likes "being different."

Try that in Russia or Iran. But she's in America where she can voice her opinion freely.

Many students before her have done this and many will after. No need for the death threats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/21/ny...h-threats.html

Old 05-21-2016, 05:10 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I don't want to see political slogans or statements at businesses I frequent.

And I'm also getting tired of every time I enter a business, or even buy gas at a pump, some clerk is asking me to donate a dollar to one charity cause or another. This has literally been happening at almost every business.

Can't customers just buy unleaded or a can of paint in peace?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Interestingly in "the land of the free and the home of the brave" an individual loses almost all of their civil rights when they take a job. At least most employees get paid for their time but not their loss of their rights to express their political opinion.
There is a time and place to express political views. When you are working in a customer service profession, you it is best to keep views to yourself. I am surprised she was not told to remove her hat. Maybe Home Depot was afraid a backlash. Who knows, but if she were working for me, I would have told her to take the hat off. You call this a civil right, I see it as opening up a can of worms. I had many jobs while in the work force, from sales to management. I would never have considered openly expressing my political views or doing anything to stir the pot when with a customer.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So you think an employee should be able to wear anything she wants as long as it has a political message?
I find the hat totally offensive. I agree, it should not have been worn when at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies