Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:21 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Oh no, I don't expect you to ever share my point of view on this topic, your hatred for your fellow Mexicans runs too deep. But I do find it humorous that you think someone speaking a language you don't understand to someone who does understand it as being disruptive. Also, a growing number of Americans are learning a second language and even more understand that knowing more than one language is important, even in the US. So while you may refuse to learn Spanish and think that people are being rude when you can hear them speaking another language, the rest of us do not consider that to be rude.

You claim there are millions of illegal where you live in the Southwest speaking Spanish, but I am willing to bet that most of the people you hear speaking Spanish are in fact legal Americans. Which that doesn't change the fact that there is nothing wrong with speaking a language you don't understand, if that bothers you, then maybe it is time to move to a place in the US that doesn't have many Spanish speaking people to offend you.

Also, you are making an assumption that someone speaking Spanish doesn't know English, which in most cases, you would be incorrect. They are just speaking in their first language rather than their second. If you knew more than one language, you would understand what I am saying, but seeing that you don't, you will never understand my point of view on this topic.

You just won't drop it, will you? Are you a Spanish speaker? I suggest you stop making false accusations of me. I don't hate Mexicans nor have I even implied that so why are you doing this? To object to non-assimilation is not hatred.

I am well aware that many of those I hear speaking Spanish are not illegals. I have worked with them and heard them switch from Spanish to English with ease and they weren't illegal aliens. All I am saying is that Spanish speakers whether legal or illegal are adamant about speaking Spanish in public even when they know English and even though the Spanish speaking person they are speaking with does also. The fact that we have millions of them here illegally also just compounds the problem.

I am not going to listen to you beat this dead horse to death nor your false accusations of me either. Buh, bye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You just won't drop it, will you? Are you a Spanish speaker? I suggest you stop making false accusations of me. I don't hate Mexicans nor have I even implied that so why are you doing this? To object to non-assimilation is not hatred.

I am well aware that many of those I hear speaking Spanish are not illegals. I have worked with them and heard them switch from Spanish to English with ease and they weren't illegal aliens. All I am saying is that Spanish speakers whether legal or illegal are adamant about speaking Spanish in public even when they know English and even though the Spanish speaking person they are speaking with does also. The fact that we have millions of them here illegally also just compounds the problem.

I am not going to listen to you beat this dead horse to death nor your false accusations of me either. Buh, bye.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with this. It's normal for people to speak their first language amongst themselves wherever they might me. Nobody in Japan expects me to speak Japanese with other non-Japanese in public in Japan.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Business decisions:

Some increase profits and some cause the bank account to dwindle.
Being in business, is a choice in life of "picking your battles wisely" Sticking to your principles can loose you money, and survival has a way of buying off your principles.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know.

On one hand, I suppose I can understand the frustration and feelings of some who think people come to live in this country without speaking English or wanting to learn how to speak it.

On the other hand, I've never felt offended or upset when people talk to each other in Spanish or whatever other local language they speak in public or at work. I've been to countless fast food places where I've been in back of and in front of customers who spoke Spanish to the server, and didn't bother me one bit at all. Heck I wish I could speak more than one language.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...h-only-policy/

Well as someone who lives in Florida it does make you feel uncomfortable to walk into a store and nobody is speaking English. I do think the Spanish speaking customers would have better English speaking skills if they just tried. They will never learn if they feel they do not have to .

I do see the point. When immigrants came to America in centuries past they all made an effort to learn English and fit in. They kept their identities and native language but were embarrassed to speak it in public . Things have changed.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, they are not lazy. It is just not a necessary skill. Even when I go to taquerias and the counter person cannot speak English I can communicate what I want. I once went to a cantina. Was not sure how to order before it dawned on me the Spanish word for Bud was Bud.The USA is a huge country, being bilingual is not a skill in great demand. Nor is it needed to conduct business.

Let me add people throughout the world are learning another language. Would you like to guess what that language usually is? The fact is individuals throughout the world want access to our markets and are learning our language. There is little need to learn other languages. Yes, there are some jobs that require you to be bilingual. There are also some jobs that require you to be able to weld, use spreadsheets, can read a balance sheet, can diagnose a problem with an auto etc. It may be wiser to spend your time to learn some other skill in the time you take to learn Spanish or some other language. I predict within a decade there will be an affordable language translator you can simply attach to your ear that will translate languages anyways.

Having said all that there are some jobs that require you to know more than one language, just like there are jobs requiring you to have other skill sets. Yes, employers will discriminate in favor of those with skill sets that help the employee do their job. This is how business works.

Another little known fact is hispanics are assimilating at a rate a bit quicker than most immigrant groups that preceded them. It is only massive immigration that hides this fact. It is not odd that Old Glory is hispanic. I have seen hispanics who are bilingual ribbing hispanics who are not and vice versa. Normally it is good natured but I have seen it get a bit heated.
That is quite a self centered mindset to have, which is typical for many Americans.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Well as someone who lives in Florida it does make you feel uncomfortable to walk into a store and nobody is speaking English. I do think the Spanish speaking customers would have better English speaking skills if they just tried. They will never learn if they feel they do not have to .

I do see the point. When immigrants came to America in centuries past they all made an effort to learn English and fit in. They kept their identities and native language but were embarrassed to speak it in public . Things have changed.
People shouldn't be embarrassed of their culture or their language, also people can still keep their native language while learning English. It bothers me that people here think those speaking another language should feel embarrassed or ashamed of their language, and should only speak it in private as if it is something that should be hidden.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
That is quite a self centered mindset to have, which is typical for many Americans.
Quote:
People shouldn't be embarrassed of their culture or their language, also people can still keep their native language while learning English. It bothers me that people here think those speaking another language should feel embarrassed or ashamed of their language, and should only speak it in private as if it is something that should be hidden.
Uh; Mexico does that it even its OWN people who lived in the US for a long time and, who lost some of their original Mexican culture. It's called "fitting in".

Old 05-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Mexico does that it even its OWN people who lived in the US for a long time and, who lost some of their original Mexican culture. It's called "fitting in".
And how would you know this? You have never left the country, nor will you ever leave the country.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
And how would you know this? You have never left the country, nor will you ever leave the country.
I DO read AND I talk to people. Many Chicanos sent to LIVE in Mexico HATE it. Too, how would you know about the Irish Famine since YOU were never there? Think about it.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:39 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
I never said that, you are the one claiming that those who move here speaking Spanish don't know more than one language, when that is a false statement. Most of them do have an understanding of English, but it is not their primary language.

I would have no issue with someone in Mexico speaking English to you because that is your primary language.

About 85% of the world will speak more than one language by 2050, so yes, Americans that only know English and expect everyone else to know English and only speak English is in fact, lazy.

Center for Language and Brain

And currently about 20% of Americans know more than one language.
It's not unreasonable to expect people to know English IN THE UNITED STATES. Most countries around the world have an official language and expect people within their borders to use it. And most public high schools in the US require a foreign language. The problem is that if you don't use it you lose it. So we already have the requirement, but you can't force someone to retain the knowledge if they don't interact daily with foreign language speakers, like people in tiny European countries.

As for brains and language learning, see the last paragraph in post #80 where I already addressed this. You just keep repeating the same arguments and ignoring people's rebuttals. There are a lot of things neurologically that are beneficial--that does not mean you force it on people, and you give them a CHOICE of what to learn, not force them to learn Spanish because lazy, ethnocentric immigrants refuse to use English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies