Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't have a problem with people speaking other languages. I'm a foreign language teacher, so I would hope for everyone to speak another language.

However, I do have a problem with signage and official documentation in other languages. We should welcome speakers of other languages by saying "Welcome to the US, we'll gladly assist you, but the de facto language is English, here are some places where you can get help with learning." Posting signs in non-English languages is just enabling people.

I wouldn't move to Russia and expect people to speak English to me and expect that all signage be in English.
Except that if you moved to Russia or any number of other countries around the world you would see quite a bit of signage in English. I travel a lot and am bilingual. My spouse is trilingual. English is the one language we have in common. Still, when we travel, we end up asking 'Do you speak English?' frequently and are grateful that most people are willing to at least try English with us and are grateful for every English sign we encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:10 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Leon's Frozen Custard drops controversial 'English only' policy - Story

MILWAUKEE -- A south side business that found itself facing a possible boycott for its English-only policy has decided to make some changes.

Leon's Frozen Custard's owner, Ron Schneider, tells TODAY'S TMJ4 he's dropping the policy.

Schneider said he still prefers that people order in English, and that his employees all talk to each other in English. But starting Thursday - Leon's employees will be able to speak to customers in whatever language they speak.

"I just made it official. If you can help the customer, just help them any way you can," Schneider said.
So glad to see this, even if it does just seem like damage control at this point. Leon's is a Milwaukee institution. It's one of the top two custard stands in the city. It would have been a shame to see them go under after all these years because of a poor customer service decision like this.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Except that if you moved to Russia or any number of other countries around the world you would see quite a bit of signage in English. I travel a lot and am bilingual. My spouse is trilingual. English is the one language we have in common. Still, when we travel, we end up asking 'Do you speak English?' frequently and are grateful that most people are willing to at least try English with us and are grateful for every English sign we encounter.
I lived in France and Germany and never saw signage in English, unless it was a touristy area or a museum.

But you're right, many people in other countries speak English really well.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
I just read the news story and don't see where anyone's civil liberties have been trounced upon. You can say it's bad business seeing the neighborhood demographic is largely Spanish speaking but to compel a business owner to operate in a language other than English is ridicules. If the residents feel slighted then they can speak with their dollars and the business owner can decide from there. Until then it's his business and he should be allowed to run it in the language of this country.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,361 times
Having traveled in at least 30 countries, over 5 continents - and lived in a few for short periods of time. I can say that the English signage varies on countries. A lot of "western" countries will have English signage in specific places - as English is unofficially recognized as the global language. I've also been in places where there was zero English...period, outside of products at a market that might have had English on them.

I've also been in countries were some people spoke English well - as the previous poster mentioned and I've been in a lot more in which the vast majority spoke minimum to no English at all....which can be troubling if you either don't have a basic grasp of the target language or an interpreter. As an American abroad - I never expected anyone to appease the fact that I spoke English...so it only behooved me to do my best to learn the basics of their language. I'm not sure why that's frowned upon here in America.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:25 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
I look at it like he's trying to help them.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Don't worry, the government will soon enough come and fine the business out of existence for having a completely rational policy.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:25 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Leon's Frozen Custard drops controversial 'English only' policy - Story

MILWAUKEE -- A south side business that found itself facing a possible boycott for its English-only policy has decided to make some changes.

Leon's Frozen Custard's owner, Ron Schneider, tells TODAY'S TMJ4 he's dropping the policy.

Schneider said he still prefers that people order in English, and that his employees all talk to each other in English. But starting Thursday - Leon's employees will be able to speak to customers in whatever language they speak.

"I just made it official. If you can help the customer, just help them any way you can," Schneider said.
Well it is good that he realized his idea was stupid and only hurt his own business. Besides, if your business is in a high Spanish speaking area and you have employees that also speak Spanish, why not tap into that amount of money? Running a business is about making money, it is best to know your target audience where the business is located and to cater to them.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:27 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Well it is good that he realized his idea was stupid and only hurt his own business. Besides, if your business is in a high Spanish speaking area and you have employees that also speak Spanish, why not tap into that amount of money? Running a business is about making money, it is best to know your target audience where the business is located and to cater to them.
That's what a smart business owner would do. Unfortunately, man wasn't created equal.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I would agree, but it would be outside the point. If a private business wants to make poor decisions, it's on them and should be their right. The marketplace will punish or reward it's efforts.
I think the fact that it is a bad business move is the point of the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies