Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Thank you. My only comment to your post is that we didn't "conquer," as there was no nation to conquer. We established colonies in what was largely an unsettled continent. The "American Indians" were not a nation. They were nomads, basically. Their was no "government." Therefore, we "conquered" no one (except we did fight the British for Independence and won).
That's some pretty disgusting mental gymnastics you did there. Bringing Christianity to native populations always ends up with so much death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Catholicism is a sect. But in my opinion, it is not Christianity, because they do not adhere to Biblical Christianity. That's why we had the Reformation. They have departed from the teachings of the Apostles many, many years ago. It was Constantine who picked the first "pope." Peter was not the first "pope" as Catholics like to say. In fact, Peter played a very minor role in the early church. Paul was the one who took the Gospel to the Gentiles. Not Peter.
Then all religion is a sect. The apostles were just men, and the bible was written by men

Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:
Thank you. My only comment to your post is that we didn't "conquer," as there was no nation to conquer. We established colonies in what was largely an unsettled continent. The "American Indians" were not a nation. They were nomads, basically. Their was no "government." Therefore, we "conquered" no one (except we did fight the British for Independence and won).
Your ignorance of native pre colonial history is breathtaking.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:

It should also be noted that even courts have said in their rulings that "we are a Christian nation."
No. We are a Chri$tian nation and money is at the center of practically everything. Not that money is bad, but let's be honest with ourselves.

[keep it real]

Old 05-21-2016, 02:55 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
I'm atheist but I found genuine Christians easier to deal with than other atheists, on average.
Human societies developed religions for good reasons. For some reason I am not involved.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:07 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
If there is a country somewhere where people don`t believe that we are a Christian nation, I say we need to invade them or at the very least, fire a few Tomahawk missiles their way. They`ll know then who we are and what we do.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Balderdash.

First Commandment. First Amendment. Pick one.

As for Justice Brewer's 1892 phrasing, he elaborated on his thinking in a later book of his, clarifying that "In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions".
Yep. Seems many people who like to refer to the Ten Commandments forget that our laws have only a few in common with them, and they were based on English Common Law. That's unless, in all my years as a citizen here, I've forgotten that I'm to have no other gods before the Hebrew God. Is that in the Constitution? Hmm. The Second Commandment is much more complicated! Graven images and a jealous God. Goes on and on. Numero three, taking the Lord's name in vain. I try not to but on the occasion that I stub a toe, it happens. Shame on me, but haven't had the cops show up at my door (yet). And then there is number 4. Remembering the Sabbath Day and keeping it Holy. No work. Period. And that goes for your servants as well. I lose control of my servants from time to time. And, finally, five. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you. I miss my parents and I do honor them, but no Constitutional laws regarding this. 6-9, there are various laws regarding these, and they are pretty common around the world. Number 10 is somewhat tricky. Coveting. In other words, yearning. No laws against it.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
The United States of America has been, is and always be foremost a Commercial Nation.

the people that developed out founding documents were merchants that realized that conforming to any religion would interfere with commerce so they took pains to keep religion out of government and law except for a few crumbs such as taking oaths on a Bible. More realistically would have been substituting a sack of gold.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:38 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Articles: My Country Was of Thee

It should also be noted that even courts have said in their rulings that "we are a Christian nation."
Absurd. Why would a Christian nation be based on Mosaic law? A Christian nation would worry less about who is sinning and more about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, housing the homeless, and healing the sick. It also wouldn't be full of people carrying concealed weapons to church.

If you want a Christian nation, you need to base its culture and laws on the Beatitudes.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Nope...

Despite the yearnings and proclamations of the rabid religious right, America is not a Christian nation. And the author of the article in the OP is wrong to state that it was and is now slipping away from some imagined "golden past" when the Bible (and Biblical law) was revered.

The founders emphatically constructed our constitution to be a secular governing document and it has served well over the past two and a quarter centuries. Perhaps the most ingenious aspect of that bedrock of our republic is how they left it malleable enough to apply to what they knew would be a changing nation.

While we are not a Christian nation, there is no doubt that we live in a culture heavily influenced by the Christian majority. The more charitable and engaging aspects of that faith have been positive characteristics that have made American society welcoming to immigrants from the founding of our republic. That we have considerable numbers of people from diverse backgrounds among our citizenry is a strength that few other nations can boast of. People of many faiths, languages and ethnicities give us a broad range of viewpoints that allow America to avoid the pitfalls of narrow-minded group think. Thus the national motto: e pluribus unum which has been with us since the founding of the republic, unlike the "In God we trust" McCarthyite phrase added in the 1950s as some sort of supposed repellent to communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies