Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 05:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That doesn't refute my words at all. I've said that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race or more. And you can identify with more than one race or ethnic group. Puh-leeze use some reading comprehension.
Then my anglo white friends of "Mexican" family never got the word they need to ID as "Hispanic" even tho they could claim it. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 07:17 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Then my anglo white friends of "Mexican" family never got the word they need to ID as "Hispanic" even tho they could claim it. lol
Well, once again, you've helped make another point of mine again. People self-identify a certain way, and other should respect their wishes to be called a certain way, instead of resisting that and whining about "PC".

That was my position about the use of Oriental.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, once again, you've helped make another point of mine again. People self-identify a certain way, and other should respect their wishes to be called a certain way, instead of resisting that and whining about "PC".

That was my position about the use of Oriental.
Many times the US government tries to tag people different ways even if the people sometime get pissed. My "fave" is "Hispanic" since it ain't a race and, not all Spanish/Indian mixes even ID themselves that way.

I haven't heard "Oriental" used if talking Asians since I was a kid and I'm 50. OTOH going by DNA; a full blood American Indian IS mostly "Asian" but usually won't own up to it.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Many times the US government tries to tag people different ways even if the people sometime get pissed. My "fave" is "Hispanic" since it ain't a race and, not all Spanish/Indian mixes even ID themselves that way.

I haven't heard "Oriental" used if talking Asians since I was a kid and I'm 50. OTOH going by DNA; a full blood American Indian IS mostly "Asian" but usually won't own up to it.
Well, in this case the US government directive was promoted and supported by Asian American elected officials so there isn't a controversy. As I've said before, the ones who are getting their knickers in a twist about this are mostly the troglodytes who can't deal with name changes and start chanting "PC, PC" in a knee-jerk fashion.

I'm in California, and we tend to use Latino rather than Hispanic.

You hear "Hispanic" used more often in places like Florida, New York.

This is also a broad generalization, but people who are right of center politically tend to use "Hispanic" rather than "Latino".

In any case, follow the cue of the person who the name or description applies. Just like some folks prefer African American or Black. Don't act like a stubborn jerk if they correct you on the use.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:57 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
A nasty, arrogant Asian female judge in San Francisco actually threatened to hold anyone who referred to Asians as "orientals" in her courtroom in contempt of court!

What an arrogant, nasty piece of work!!!

And this was decades ago....

This is what we have come to.

PC run amok -- and worthless people trying to lord it over their betters!

Old 05-29-2016, 06:28 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
A nasty, arrogant Asian female judge in San Francisco actually threatened to hold anyone who referred to Asians as "orientals" in her courtroom in contempt of court!

What an arrogant, nasty piece of work!!!

And this was decades ago....

This is what we have come to.

PC run amok -- and worthless people trying to lord it over their betters!
Not PC...just basic respect. People act as though they have no home training. Furthermore, you're in Court. Respect the rules or get out.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not PC...just basic respect. People act as though they have no home training. Furthermore, you're in Court. Respect the rules or get out.
Exactly. Wrong place to throw a tantrum!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:22 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
There is nothing disrespectful about the term "oriental," which means "eastern."

No judge has the right to deny people their right to speak as long as they speak respectfully.

What she did was in direct violation of the Constitution.

It doesn't matter that it was "her" courtroom -- which it wasn't, it's the people's courtroom.

Not that the PC crowd would care about any of that, of course!

All the racist, sexist PC crowd has to hear is, "She's Asian and she's offended," and that settles it!

How pathetic.

How ridiculous.

How wussy and cowardly for people to go along with this.

And how profoundly un-American.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:57 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There is nothing disrespectful about the term "oriental," which means "eastern."

No judge has the right to deny people their right to speak as long as they speak respectfully.

What she did was in direct violation of the Constitution.

It doesn't matter that it was "her" courtroom -- which it wasn't, it's the people's courtroom.

Not that the PC crowd would care about any of that, of course!

All the racist, sexist PC crowd has to hear is, "She's Asian and she's offended," and that settles it!

How pathetic.

How ridiculous.

How wussy and cowardly for people to go along with this.

And how profoundly un-American.
Just because you and others want to fight against those standards that involve respect for others and feel you all alone define them, does not mean others will lower their standards to suit you all.

This judge did not lower her standards in her courtroom. The President and Congress did not lower them.

Kudos to them.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
Just because you and others want to fight against those standards that involve respect for others and feel you all alone define them, does not mean others will lower their standards to suit you all.

This judge did not lower her standards in her courtroom. The President and Congress did not lower them.

Kudos to them.
Well put, I'm always amused by people who claim that someone else has no business being offended by whatever they deem acceptable language. Cluelessness runs rampant in conservative circles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies