Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Those are Oriental Food Markets not oriental
people who really ( get this ) are Asian People.
They're also oriental people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
They're also oriental people.
We already established the fact that Asians don't like being called oriental, just like some whites take offense being called a gringo

Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We already established the fact that Asians don't like being called oriental, just like some whites take offense being called a gringo
Wrong.

Asians in this thread have said they don't care about this non-issue.

If Mexicans want to call me a gringo or a yankee in Mexico, I'm perfectly fine with that.

But they better mind their manners when they're in this country, just as I would in their country.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Wrong.

If Mexicans want to call me a gringo or a yankee in Mexico, I'm perfectly fine with that.

But they better mind their manners when they're in this country, just as I would in their country.
C-D isn't the be all end all in society. If you think that, you probably need to work on expanding your social circle. C-D is an extremely small subset of society, it's not representative of anything at all. Do you need validation from C-D that calling a black person a Negro is wrong? No, you don't, because it's universal knowledge that calling an African-American a Negro is wrong. Asians in real life don't like being called Oriental, simple as that

Old 06-02-2016, 01:37 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Maybe you can talk Asians that own Oriental restaurant's to take down thier signs

There never have been a problem with Oriental restaurants , but the term oriental people
( now there ) is where the problem is.

Last edited by Howest2008; 06-02-2016 at 01:49 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
When you are a African American in California you learn to know different racial groups .

Such as Caucasian white people .

Asian people.

Latino people .

I have known them all, I have been to their houses . I know about their culture.And Oriental is not a good term describing Asian people . Now as far as they are concerned at least out here in California Asian is a much better term.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
C-D isn't the be all end all in society. If you think that, you probably need to work on expanding your social circle. C-D is an extremely small subset of society, it's not representative of anything at all. Do you need validation from C-D that calling a black person a Negro is wrong? No, you don't, because it's universal knowledge that calling an African-American a Negro is wrong. Asians in real life don't like being called Oriental, simple as that
You wrote, "We already established the fact that Asians don't like...."

You were wrong.

Asians posting here don't care about being called "oriental."

So again, you were wrong -- and you ARE wrong.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Unbelievable that such a minor thing has turned into such a debate. LOL that 2 posters on CD speak for an entire group of millions of Asian Americans.

Obviously many Asian Americans have not only said it was offensive to them they have explained why, see my post below. But of course others here want to tell them that their feelings are wrong, clearly an old white guy on the internet knows how they should feel better than they do. Then they want to string up The President for doing a very minor thing that does not effect them in the least but has a great effect on those who have been offended.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-02-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Please don't call me Oriental

The other day an old man made a comment to me that my oriental children were well mannered. I said thank you and tried not to let the oriental comment bother me. After all, he is from a different generation where oriental was the correct term to use for Asians......And the one comment that really upset me was when someone said "Oriental offensive? Since when did we let foreigners dictate how to use our language?"
Ellen Oh
Hello Ello: Please don't call me Oriental

Indeed, when New York State decided to ban the term from official state documents in 2009, Howard University’s Frank H. Wu defended the action on such grounds:
[Wu] said that the term was associated with exoticism and with old stereotypes of geisha girls and emasculated men. “‘Oriental’ is like the word ‘negro.’ It conjures up an era.”
"Oriental:" Death of a Semi-Slur | Dialect Blog

SF Chronicle columnist Jeff Yang said he's glad about the news from New York, because the term Oriental "feels freighted with luggage. . . . It's a term which you can't think of without having that smell-of-incense and sound-of-a-gong thing going on in your head."

stuff white people do: refer to people as "orientals"

Oriental is quite offensive to many Asian Americans (though I can't say all, but as an Asian American it offends me and my friends). Its antiquated--it used to be acceptable, but now it isn't. I don't have the research in front of me, but itd be like calling an African American the n word and thinking it's still ok – simchona♦ Dec 15 '11 at 15:53

single word requests - Proper term for people from eastern Asia - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Exactly how many more do I need to provide? Again it's just not that big of a deal. Obviously many Asians feel this way, so what in the world is wrong with changing something that offends so many?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-02-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 07:27 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Asians in this thread have come down on both sides. Furthermore, it was Asians who pushed the legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies