Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Who knew? As it turns out, the word "oriental" is derogatory. Our government, ever quick to be PC, has just scrubbed the term from the federal books and will now refer to those "orientals" as Asian Americans. Before you blame Obama for falling all over himself with political correctness, understand that representatives sent him the bill. Yes, the Republican congress that can't agree on much of anything unanimously passed this bill. This is serious stuff, I guess.

Until Trump is elected and repeals this right after Obamacare, I will stop using the term. How about you?

President Obama Signs Bill Eliminating 'Oriental' From Federal Law - NBC News
Whether it's "man-caused disasters," or "overseas contingency operations," or “justice-involved criminals individuals," Obama shows us he is a student of Saul Alinsky, who said He who controls the language controls the masses”.Saul Alinsky: Rules for Radicals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Please don't call me Oriental

The other day an old man made a comment to me that my oriental children were well mannered. I said thank you and tried not to let the oriental comment bother me. After all, he is from a different generation where oriental was the correct term to use for Asians......
And the one comment that really upset me was when someone said "Oriental offensive? Since when did we let foreigners dictate how to use our language?"
Ellen Oh
Hello Ello: Please don't call me Oriental

Indeed, when New York State decided to ban the term from official state documents in 2009, Howard University’s Frank H. Wu defended the action on such grounds:
[Wu] said that the term was associated with exoticism and with old stereotypes of geisha girls and emasculated men. “‘Oriental’ is like the word ‘negro.’ It conjures up an era.”
"Oriental:" Death of a Semi-Slur | Dialect Blog

SF Chronicle columnist Jeff Yang said he's glad about the news from New York, because the term Oriental "feels freighted with luggage. . . . It's a term which you can't think of without having that smell-of-incense and sound-of-a-gong thing going on in your head."

stuff white people do: refer to people as "orientals"

Oriental is quite offensive to many Asian Americans (though I can't say all, but as an Asian American it offends me and my friends). Its antiquated--it used to be acceptable, but now it isn't. I don't have the research in front of me, but itd be like calling an African American the n word and thinking it's still ok – simchona♦ Dec 15 '11 at 15:53

single word requests - Proper term for people from eastern Asia - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

Exactly how many more do I need to provide? Again it's just not that big of a deal. Obviously many Asians feel this way, so what in the world is wrong with changing something that offends so many?
My guess when people use Oriental or Asian it could certainly be an age factor......below is an example of age, people should consider this before calling others racist! Generations go with age..........

I saw this patient today in his 60's who seemed somewhat intelligent, who made the comment about "You Orientals are such nice people". Coming from UCLA, I initially had a gut reaction of wanting to come down on him and tell him that its Asian, not Oriental. However, I immediately calmed down and held back from saying anything. Was that wrong? I knew he did not mean to be insulting, but he was just plain ignorant. He was actually trying to make a complement.

Yet in this comment the guy has no problem calling the 60 yr old elderly!!! Talk about watching ones own words, yet he thinks his own words are non offensive..............

This elderly guy was not trying to be mean or insulting. How sensitive should we be about words.

Rice Daddies: Asian vs. Oriental

Old 06-02-2016, 07:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Asians in this thread have come down on both sides. Furthermore, it was Asians who pushed the legislation.
We never even hear the term "oriental" used anymore, unless it's from a comedy show, where the writers wanted to portray a character as and ignorant hick.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:03 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No really...it wasn't a compliment. Seriously though.
You made a great post, I complimented you on tthat, not because I posted and that was the compliment, Mr posting..

Only a very insecure person would even suggest that.

But that's alright....

Old 06-02-2016, 08:11 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
My guess when people use Oriental or Asian it could certainly be an age factor......below is an example of age, people should consider this before calling others racist! Generations go with age..........

I saw this patient today in his 60's who seemed somewhat intelligent, who made the comment about "You Orientals are such nice people". Coming from UCLA, I initially had a gut reaction of wanting to come down on him and tell him that its Asian, not Oriental. However, I immediately calmed down and held back from saying anything. Was that wrong? I knew he did not mean to be insulting, but he was just plain ignorant. He was actually trying to make a complement.

Yet in this comment the guy has no problem calling the 60 yr old elderly!!! Talk about watching ones own words, yet he thinks his own words are non offensive..............

This elderly guy was not trying to be mean or insulting. How sensitive should we be about words.

Rice Daddies: Asian vs. Oriental

Oh I think it's obviously a generational thing. If they change their use of the word once it's pointed out, as I did in the 80's once my boss informed me and as many from previous generations do, then nobody should have a problem with an old guy being unaware. And as I approach 60 myself I think it's generally understood that someone in their "60's" (he didn't say 60 he said "in his 60's") qualifies as elderly in nearly every way. But what is so frustrating is when it is pointed out many dig in and claim the criticism is wrong despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. If they continue to ignore the evidence then I'm not sure racist is the label that should apply but there certainly is one that does.

How sensitive should we be about words? As sensitive as is necessary to avoid offending others. Not sure I understand your question. It's obviously a big deal to a lot of Asian Americans, words can hurt. Badly.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-02-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 08:56 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You wrote, "We already established the fact that Asians don't like...."

You were wrong.

Asians posting here don't care about being called "oriental."

So again, you were wrong -- and you ARE wrong.
Read DaveinMtAiry's posts. Asians DO NOT like being called Oriental. Period. You repeatedly are disproved, but you like a stubborn mule, refuse to see it

Old 06-02-2016, 09:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You made a great post, I complimented you on tthat, not because I posted and that was the compliment, Mr posting..

Only a very insecure person would even suggest that.

But that's alright....
Insecure person. Right.

OK Dr. Phil from Alabama.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM

13 posts, read 17,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I would be willing to wager that only a small minority of Asian Americans are actually offended by the term, and most of them only because a non-Asian American person suggested to them that they should be offended by it, and they went along with it because "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and it is very American to get offended at trivialities. I'd also be willing to wager that this dictionary entry was not written by an Asian American.

If you guys would like to decide whatever word is PC now, go right ahead, we'll say it too because we are also Americans and we try to follow the rules, but please stop asserting that the majority of Asian Americans actually care. We don't.

Curious, was your boss Asian American? Because I remember my Chinese mother referring to herself and to me as "Orientals" back in the 80's, with nary a thought as to any sort of positive or negative connotation.
I am with this poster. I immigrated to US some 30 years ago from Asia. Many of my friends including myself could not really tell if the words themselves are offensive or not, such as 'nxxxx', 'red skin', 'red neck'. We simply go alone with the majority.

My feeling is 'Asian American' came along when 'African American' and 'Native American' were adopted. That is all.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I am with this poster. I immigrated to US some 30 years ago from Asia. Many of my friends including myself could not really tell if the words themselves are offensive or not, such as 'nxxxx', 'red skin', 'red neck'. We simply go alone with the majority.

My feeling is 'Asian American' came along when 'African American' and 'Native American' were adopted. That is all.
I do agree that it's not all who are offended. I have looked and for some reason I can not find poll results. That would really help the discussion. But then we get into the whole "what is the number that matters?" debate. If 25% feel offended is that enough to allow their voices to be heard? Does it require 30%? 50%?

I just think it's ridiculous that so many are getting all riled up about nothing. It's equally ridiculous for some to claim the word does not offend when direct quotes have been provided. So what if states and now the Feds are legislating the use of the word that obviously is offensive to some? How in the world would that effect those critical of the move in any way? To me they are just complaining to complain about the President with total disregard for the feeling of the Asian Americans who obvously have a fairly large group who care deeply about this.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:55 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
"Asian" is just as vague as "oriental."
Perhaps at some official levels, but not in a colloquial sense.

Lebanon is technically an Asian country, but Lebanese people aren't necessarily thought of as being "Asian". Indians are Asian and are identified as such in some locations (e.g. the UK), whilst in others they are thought of as a separate group.

What groups "Asian" refers to in conversation varies based on geographic location and demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies