Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And from people who feel our government has much bigger pressing issues to address in our nation than "banning" words/playing word police.

What resources/time should congress select....address the almost 20 trillion deficit, inner city violence, etc or play "which word to ban on the federal level" nonsense? Hard choice, I know. They apparently can't multitask as we have a myriad of big problems in this nation that remain unaddressed.

I see it as pathetic priories, just for political gain, not working for the people. Over and over again.
Funny how they barely express that...see this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
oriental is a rug, not a person. It's not even a proper label when referring to people.

Obama is a moron but this isn't something to get upset over.
this is not Obama baby!!!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
In this spirit I think the term "African" should be banned from all federal lexicon too. Someone tell me the difference.
There's a continent called Africa.

Where is the continent named Orient?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
For those of you that don't like it, vote in a conservative president and demand that he reinstates the use of that word in official government speak.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I love how the conservatives love to bash the President and PC "libs" while completely ignoring the fact that this bill passed through both the House and Senate unanimously. That means every single Republican supported it too.
Who cares?

Since when has the Republican party stood up against silly political correctness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There's a continent called Africa.

Where is the continent named Orient?
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 06-15-2016, 07:50 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The whole PC complaint usually comes from people fighting to be ignorant, disrespectful and low-class.
I can't say that I disagree with you. I feel like some people want to be ignorant and everything be okay. It is sort of like this. I compare it to this. A bully knows he's doing wrong, but wants to keep doing wrong. For said person, doing wrong is normal.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:39 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Who out there believe that this thread will reach the mark of 50 pages (???)

Old 06-21-2016, 08:04 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And from people who feel our government has much bigger pressing issues to address in our nation than "banning" words/playing word police.
No kidding, Obama has our government looking like idiots, because they cannot even discuss a terrorist attack without running a confession of the terrorist thru the 0bama politically correct, Islamic-friendly filters, before public release.

Why did the White House just humiliate Loretta Lynch? | New York Post

Mateen: “I pledge of allegiance to [omitted]. “I pledge allegiance to [omitted] may God protect him [in Arabic], on behalf of [omitted].”

Old 06-21-2016, 09:46 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Well since this story came out, I've told white people a million times that I DON'T find it offensive. And I'm tired of explaining to them that Oriental is not offensive, it's just a word, and the whole idea of offending us with a word meaning "from the east" is just nonsensical. The fact that European cultures refers to Asian cultures as being from the east is not offensive, it does not imply that Europe considers itself to be the center of the world, that's ridiculous. It's simply an expression of "they live that-a-way". Just like people in Asia think of people from Europe as being "from the west". Because they live over there, to the west. Westerners. In the west.

If Asians were called "dumb-dumb-heads", then that would be offensive. But seriously, oriental means "from the east". This is not an offensive concept. Why is this the millionth time I have to explain something so basic.
Hmm, but my husband, who is of East Asian descent isn't from the east, he's from Colorado. Of course, now he lives sort of close to the east coast. But that doesn't make him "oriental" does it? It would be incredibly outdated and incorrect (and yes, a little exclusionary) for our federal government to officially refer to him as "Oriental."

He's not offended when people use the term. Merely gracious, and perhaps bemused, about the speaker's ignorance. But let's stop pretending "oriental" is simply a geographical term. It's obviously meant to imply "foreign" and "different." Otherwise people from New England would commonly be referred to as "orientals" and anyone from anywhere else "east" of the speaker.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:49 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Still discussing this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies