Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 01:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guess the American made cars and trucks were not so crappy after all.
Unless of course you'd like to compare the prices of say a '49 Ferrari Barchetta with let's say a '49 Cadillac torpedo back sedan, then that guess might not look so good. Prices of cars not being bought as transportation often show little rhyme or reason and are irrelevant to their intended use. I knew someone who was once offered a Jaguar V-12 E-Type coupe or a Mercedes-Benz 300SL 'gullwing' Coupe for the same $$$. I doubt his regret over choosing the Jag is measurable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That was subjective..... American cars were symbols of upper class in Europe. Japanese cars were symbols of cheap in the USA. and European cars as Exotic in the USA.

Pre 1970's cars of the USA and Europe, have held there value more than those from Japan.
I drove cars in the 70's and 80's. They sucked. I still have a hard time convincing the wife we no longer have to buy Toyota that American cars have just about caught up.

For me I need a car that goes from point A to point B for 150K miles with reasonable maintenance costs. I think many Americans are in my shoes.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:36 PM

I suggest all you protectionists buy American. Leave me out of it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Those "many sellers in China" benefit from the 'economy of scale'. Had you sent an entire shipping container of paintings to your relative in New York your cost per unit would have been considerably less than $23.
Not true at all. Those chinese sellers who sell on ebay are individual sellers. They sell their junk at 1.99 shipping included.

This is because post office makes a special deal with Chinese government. So what you are saying is untrue. Here is an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fashion-...m672n8msg9L84Q

free shiping from China, 1.99. if I ship the same scarf domestically I pay at least 2.66 This is why American businessmen can never compete with Chinese.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It takes years to go from concept to showroom. Americans wanted bigger and more luxurious, and that was what Detroit was producing. Japan was quite different and their market wanted small and economical. It was impractical at that time to produce different lines for the US market; therefore, they shipped small and efficient here. When the oil crisis and lean times hit the US, the Japanese models were poised, by accident more than anything else, to be the right type of car for the US market.
I am aware that the process with cars does take time but that has no bearing on my statement where I stated that the workmanship stunk. How many divisions did Ford & GM have to make a statement that it was "impractical" to produce different lines sounds ridicules. Even today 30 years later and GM went bankrupt why?? Because they are a bloated behemoth who lost touch with the US market somewhere after the 60's. Japan was producing small cars that's true but the workmanship was what was so superior and that over time is a large reason they overtook the American market.

The auto industries war cry of "Buy American" what does that mean today? Japanese & German cars are produced in the USA, Fords are produce in Mexico and heck if I know where GM produces. Companies are so international that to call them American means what, that they get their mail here. Even Budweiser the most American of beers is owned by the Belgians.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am aware that the process with cars does take time but that has no bearing on my statement where I stated that the workmanship stunk. How many divisions did Ford & GM have to make a statement that it was "impractical" to produce different lines sounds ridicules. Even today 30 years later and GM went bankrupt why?? Because they are a bloated behemoth who lost touch with the US market somewhere after the 60's. Japan was producing small cars that's true but the workmanship was what was so superior and that over time is a large reason they overtook the American market.

The auto industries war cry of "Buy American" what does that mean today? Japanese & German cars are produced in the USA, Fords are produce in Mexico and heck if I know where GM produces. Companies are so international that to call them American means what, that they get their mail here. Even Budweiser the most American of beers is owned by the Belgians.

Not sure if it is still true but I once read the most "American" car was the Toyota Camry.

If all cars made in America were completely American from raw materials to final manufacturing there would be very few cars made in America. In fact some of the technology requires raw metals from China.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Regarding cars,

well, European cars tend to be pricier than even close rivals from American or Asian brands relates to the quality of materials -- and engineering -- that European automakers tend to use.

Asian and American luxury cars tend to focus on the value aspect of the luxury-car world since it's so difficult to rival European luxury cars at their high price points. The result is that the cost of engineering, materials and components tends to be a little cheaper on most Asian and American luxury vehicles, which results in both lower prices and differences in quality.

Different market, different focus.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Regarding cars,

well, European cars tend to be pricier than even close rivals from American or Asian brands relates to the quality of materials -- and engineering -- that European automakers tend to use.

Asian and American luxury cars tend to focus on the value aspect of the luxury-car world since it's so difficult to rival European luxury cars at their high price points. The result is that the cost of engineering, materials and components tends to be a little cheaper on most Asian and American luxury vehicles, which results in both lower prices and differences in quality.

Different market, different focus.
Bought an MDX, great car at a decent price.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not sure if it is still true but I once read the most "American" car was the Toyota Camry..
Yes, Made in America. I have at least 5 friends work for Toshiba and Toyota, They are Americans who love working there. One friend who worked for toshiba said he used to have great benefits, not now for some reasons.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Bought an MDX, great car at a decent price.
Personally, I will always go with Toyota or Mercedes. (I like the size and they never gave me any problems) My boyfriend only drives American brand, (he likes big trucks) that is fine too. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies