Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 07:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,384,723 times

Advertisements

That's about a month of pay to public sector union employees who get paid for doing nothing. I believe it's more than $1.0 billion a year in rubber-room pay. I'll get my pitchfork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,843,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Because he did nothing to earn $92 million in severance except be the last one sitting in the executive chair at Time Warner Cable when they were bought, perhaps?
It was in his contract and based on the performance of the stock since he took over.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:28 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,908,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It was in his contract and based on the performance of the stock since he took over.
Meanwhile, as the billionaire class scratch the backs of each other, the working class declines, and continues to defend their overlords. What must it take for real change to occur?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,446,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I'd like to know what this guy did for the company to be worth $92 million.
It really doesn't matter. The average American will support this type of compensation while trying to make ends meet. I guess it gives them hope.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:28 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,474,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Actually they don't.
Really? You might want to call Sealy's fired CEO and inform him of this:

Tempur Sealy Shareholders Vote to Remove C.E.O. and Chairman From Board - NYTimes.com

Old 05-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
It really doesn't matter. The average American will support this type of compensation while trying to make ends meet. I guess it gives them hope.
IMHO, most Americans aren't very comfortable with the idea of the government deciding how much a person can be paid. Sure, there are the people who desperately want a nanny to manage every aspect of their lives, but at this point they are still in the minority.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
IMHO, most Americans aren't very comfortable with the idea of the government deciding how much a person can be paid. Sure, there are the people who desperately want a nanny to manage every aspect of their lives, but at this point they are still in the minority.
But they are perfectly comfortable with this same government giving these same corporations favors in order to rip off the American people (which is how they get their money) and people whine about free stuff when money is invested in the human needs in America but not when money is spent on these same corporations. Its like a total joke. 40 years of transfer of wealth from the middle class to the top, and people praise the people at the top and act meek and submissive instead of standing up and fighting for a government that works for the people and not the billionaire class.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But they are perfectly comfortable with this same government giving these same corporations favors in order to rip off the American people (which is how they get their money) and people whine about free stuff when money is invested in the human needs in America but not when money is spent on these same corporations. Its like a total joke. 40 years of transfer of wealth from the middle class to the top, and people praise the people at the top and act meek and submissive instead of standing up and fighting for a government that works for the people and not the billionaire class.
Government, "Hey big corporations; we are going to confiscate money from the middleclass and give it to you. All you have to do is kickback some of it to us."

Sheep (aka too many voters), "I'm so mad at the corporations. I'm going to vote for a bigger and more powerful government that will stop the government from taking my money and giving it to corporations."

Government, "Wow, we were given more power to tax and control which businesses are allowed to win. Ok big corporations, you need to give us bigger kickbacks are you wont be selected as a winner."

Sheep, "It's even worse now. We haven't given the government enough power."

Old 05-23-2016, 10:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,632,804 times
Quote:
Really? You might want to call Sealy's fired CEO and inform him of this:

Tempur Sealy Shareholders Vote to Remove C.E.O. and Chairman From Board - NYTimes.com
Tempur Sealy CEO Sarvary Stepping Down - WSJ

"The firm’s success at Tempur Sealy is something of a precedent-setting victory for activism, even amid recent years of new successes for these investors."

Until this becomes a regular thing, no, shareholders do not have "plenty of control" over CEO compensation.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Government, "Hey big corporations; we are going to confiscate money from the middleclass and give it to you. All you have to do is kickback some of it to us."

Sheep (aka too many voters), "I'm so mad at the corporations. I'm going to vote for a bigger and more powerful government that will stop the government from taking my money and giving it to corporations."

Government, "Wow, we were given more power to tax and control which businesses are allowed to win. Ok big corporations, you need to give us bigger kickbacks are you wont be selected as a winner."

Sheep, "It's even worse now. We haven't given the government enough power."
You have misunderstood completely. People elect candidates who are not beholden to special interests because these candidates will have to act on behalf of the people once in office, not their financial overlords. That radically changes how government works. Your idea of just giving huge tax breaks to billionaires and gut government revenue and gut support for the disabled and elderly will just cause large corporations to create monopolies as they will have all the power to write anti-trust laws and the government wont have resources to enforce laws that benefit consumers anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies