Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, I just wanted to mention that in my area we have a decent amount of manufacturing jobs. Practically all of my male relatives work in manufacturing or production factories.

All of them have told me that many younger males are just lazy and don't like to work. They'd rather just sit at home and play video games.

IMO the "man" problem has more to do with the fact that men in general just don't engage with and teach their sons how to be men anymore.

I know many of you of the male variety will try to blame women for this, but I know many men who live with sons who don't do anything with their sons at all. There are no life lessons being taught to too many of our males today about what it really means to be a man.

This will be my bias showing (I am a female who grew up predominantly around males) but I have never felt that men were all that "useful." My dad did work and he had a good work ethic. I have a husband now as well and he has a WAY better work ethic than most of the guys I know, but both of them (my dad and my husband) do way less than an average woman does. Men have always done less and have always been more lazy IMO.

Now that there are more opportunities for girls/women IMO it is just a natural thing that women are gaining ground.

However, I personally don't believe that women get "all" the high paying jobs. Women are still underpaid compared to men. Women are still predominantly employed in lower paying occupations as well. I do think that in about 80-100 years, women will have made a huge gain on men in our society and that females will more than likely overtake males in influence within 100-200 years, mostly because we are just not as lazy. But who knows, younger women may start to get lazy too and take away our forward progression.

This post is ridiculous on so many levels.

1. Men are harder workers than women. If you don't believe this, randomly pick out 10 women and have them go dig ditches or swing a hammer all day in the heat or cold. Women by average do cup cake jobs, and even when they do those jobs like bar-tending or working in retail, they're less productive on the average (while causing more problems). The funny thing is that they're paid the same or in tip based jobs even more for less production. There's actually a price floor on female labor.

2. Women are gaining ground because we live in a society that throws piles of money and effort at them succeeding, while punishing boys for being boys. Women also don't have to meet the same type of societal expectations that men do. If I were to become as irrational and out of line as many of the women I work with do from time to time, I would be let go on the spot. Welcome to corporate PC America.

3. Women are NOT underpaid. The wage gap is all kinds of major BS. The biggest reason men earn more is because they work more hours and choose more difficult careers...........but they're lazy . If you could actually pay a women less money to produce the same as a man, who would ever hire a man? If that were true we wouldn't outsource jobs. We would just have women do them for .77 cents on the dollar right here in the States. You must have not taken or failed microeconomics. Good luck trying to argue any of this.

4. Women will never overtake men in influence because men are far more creative than women. There is a ton of science and thousands of years of history to back this up. Science tells us that women and men are pretty equal in intelligence. While women tend to have better memorization and communication abilities, men tend to be better problem solvers. Science also tells us that women are more responsible and far more obedient than men are; however, responsibility and following directions can only take one so far. Men are simply better at thinking outside the box. This is why men are less religious, more innovative, and simply more likely to stray from the path. Sometimes that gets one in trouble, but that's also why pretty much everything in our entire existence was thought up by a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
[/b]
This post is ridiculous on so many levels.

1. Men are harder workers than women. If you don't believe this, randomly pick out 10 women and have them go dig ditches or swing a hammer all day in the heat or cold. Women by average do cup cake jobs, and even when they do those jobs like bar-tending or working in retail, they're less productive on the average (while causing more problems). The funny thing is that they're paid the same or in tip based jobs even more for less production. There's actually a price floor on female labor.

2. Women are gaining ground because we live in a society that throws piles of money and effort at them succeeding, while punishing boys for being boys. Women also don't have to meet the same type of societal expectations that men do. If I were to become as irrational and out of line as many of the women I work with do from time to time, I would be let go on the spot. Welcome to corporate PC America.

3. Women are NOT underpaid. The wage gap is all kinds of major BS. The biggest reason men earn more is because they work more hours and choose more difficult careers...........but they're lazy . If you could actually pay a women less money to produce the same as a man, who would ever hire a man? If that were true we wouldn't outsource jobs. We would just have women do them for .77 cents on the dollar right here in the States. You must have not taken or failed microeconomics. Good luck trying to argue any of this.

4. Women will never overtake men in influence because men are far more creative than women. There is a ton of science and thousands of years of history to back this up. Science tells us that women and men are pretty equal in intelligence. While women tend to have better memorization and communication abilities, men tend to be better problem solvers. Science also tells us that women are more responsible and far more obedient than men are; however, responsibility and following directions can only take one so far. Men are simply better at thinking outside the box. This is why men are less religious, more innovative, and simply more likely to stray from the path. Sometimes that gets one in trouble, but that's also why pretty much everything in our entire existence was thought up by a man.
If I didn't know better, I'd say you sound bitter. The irony is that you quoted a post that you found ridiculous & then produced this.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
If I didn't know better, I'd say you sound bitter. The irony is that you quoted a post that you found ridiculous & then produced this.
Try to argue anything I said. The post I quoted was ridiculous because it was complete BS. There's nothing bitter about my post. Sometimes we need to hear things that we don't want to hear. That's life.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,499 times
Alot of The traditional types of labor jobs men used to do like manufacturing are mostly made redundant today. The High end, high wage white collar jobs are few in number and are extremely competitive. For people who aren't college material there aren't many options left. Retail and fast food is part time and the pay is crap. Unless of course you can get into the high wage civil service jobs(police/sanitation/Firefighter)

Old 05-27-2016, 10:41 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Try to argue anything I said. The post I quoted was ridiculous because it was complete BS. There's nothing bitter about my post. Sometimes we need to hear things that we don't want to hear. That's life.

Quote:
Work smarter, not harder. Just because a job is physically demanding does not make the person a harder worker.

Quote:
This is your personal opinion I guess. I have yet to have any money thrown at me.
Your right woman aren't held to the same societal expectations, they are held to higher expectations. Not only do women have to be better at a job just to compete and prove herself she is also expected to take care of children and home and husband as though she isnt working a job outside the home.

Quote:
I have to agree. And to add the reason men work more hours and choose different careers is they dont want to sacrifice promotions and higher pay to actually take care of children. There is a lot of lost hours and opportunities when you have to get kids here and there and be home with them when they are sick.

Quote:
I don't know about this but I do know that historically women were not permitted to be creative or even get an education often times or given credit for their discoveries. There have been a few women throughout history who were permitted and excelled. Caroline Herschel, Mary Anning, Mary Somerville, Lisa Metiner, Barbara McClintock, Marie Curie to name a few. Many of these women were prevented from higher educations afforded to men not to mention restricted from using laboratories and facilities and had to work with men to be able to at all. So perhaps now with the opportunities women have we will see more equalization.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This is your personal opinion I guess. I have yet to have any money thrown at me.
Your right woman aren't held to the same societal expectations, they are held to higher expectations. Not only do women have to be better at a job just to compete and prove herself she is also expected to take care of children and home and husband as though she isnt working a job outside the home.
The breeders are working at Walmart or Red Robin. I would say that less than a quarter of the young women I work with have kids. Most the women that have kids that I've worked with are older and no longer have kids in the house. I have the utmost respect for these women because they actually did what you're talking about; however, very few of the under 40 crowd women live this double life anymore that I can see. Professional fields these days are loaded with women that don't want kids. I would go as far as to say that I work with more young men that are burdened with going to sports games or teacher conferences than young women that have child care duties. A lot of the younger guys I work with are married to women that chose family over career, but most the women I work with are married to guys that don't want kids, or they're perpetual serial daters.

I'm sure this varies by industry, but In my field, it seems to be the case.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
The breeders are working at Walmart or Red Robin. I would say that less than a quarter of the young women I work with have kids. Most the women that have kids that I've worked with are older and no longer have kids in the house. I have the utmost respect for these women because they actually did what you're talking about; however, very few of the under 40 crowd women live this double life anymore that I can see. Professional fields these days are loaded with women that don't want kids. I would go as far as to say that I work with more young men that are burdened with going to sports games or teacher conferences than young women that have child care duties. A lot of the younger guys I work with are married to women that chose family over career, but most the women I work with are married to guys that don't want kids, or they're perpetual serial daters.

I'm sure this varies by industry, but In my field, it seems to be the case.
There are mothers in every occupation. I work in a professional field and every woman that works here is a mother. Most woman I know under 40 are starting families and working. Perhaps young women are choosing not to have kids because of the competition for higher paying jobs.

Burdened with going to sports games or teacher conferences? So the men you know are married with children but are the ones that take off work for their children's activities, Dr. appointments, and stay home when the kids are sick so their wives dont have to? And they dont want kids? or their wives are SAHM but he takes off to do child care duties? Which is it?

Old 05-27-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
There are mothers in every occupation. I work in a professional field and every woman that works here is a mother. Most woman I know under 40 are starting families and working. Perhaps young women are choosing not to have kids because of the competition for higher paying jobs.

Burdened with going to sports games or teacher conferences? So the men you know are married with children but are the ones that take off work for their children's activities, Dr. appointments, and stay home when the kids are sick so their wives dont have to? And they dont want kids? or their wives are SAHM but he takes off to do child care duties? Which is it?
Read my post again and concentrate. You're reply indicates that you didn't really read it or you don't understand. The second part of your post reads like a word salad to be honest. You sound angry or REALLY confused.

Also, Where do you live? That has a lot to do with it as well. I live in an area that's almost exclusively white and Asian with a very high gay population as well. When I lived in San Antonio, EVERYONE had kids, but I also worked with very few women.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:03 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Rem the war-- who rolled up their sleeves put down the aprons and took over at the factories etc.. Women can do anything men can- and if only need PURE strength- you can do it in one swing- true- I will figure out how to pace it out and still get it done- by they way just fixed my gutters and and dug some dirt and throwing landscape rock- to make a french drain in MY yard nobody here but me---

Old 05-27-2016, 01:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
Quote:
[/b]

I have seen several posters make comments similar to this. What exactly are you talking about?

What are a few examples of "boys being boys"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies