Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 04:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Maybe we need a major war or we need to bring back manufacturing jobs.
Lol, I'm pretty sure the days of major wars and manufacturing jobs being the cure for what ails society are long gone. 100 years ago that was the ticket, sure. Nowadays it's not that simple and it never will be again. The world is a fundamentally different place today and the solutions to it's problems will have to be uniquely tailored to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
I fully expect to see crime rates rising over the next few decades due to the way boys and young men have been marginalized through every step of their development. We're creating a generation that is downright oppressive to men, mostly as reactionary measures towards "the patriarchy."

In grade school, the natural behavior of boys is suppressed and recess time has been shortened, which is making it harder for young boys to concentrate on their classes and allowing young girls to begin excelling at a young age.

Colleges have become very hostile and unpleasant places for men. Women enrolled college exceed men by about 15%. On campus, the excessive Liberal environment and radical feminism have made men into villains needing to be supplanted from their positions of power. Absurdly liberal policies have allowed false and baseless rape allegations to completely ruin some young men's college experience, treating every man as a rapist who hasn't been caught yet and treating even the flimsiest accusations as a guilty conviction towards the male accused.

Today, women in their 20's earn more than their male counterparts. The gender pay gap is about to finally become real, though it will be men earning less than women unless these trends reverse themselves. But with how men are treated as the root of all evils in our society, the problem will likely only get worse.

These attitudes are going to created a generation of uninspired, unambitious and directionless men who will likely increase the crime rate as they vent their frustrations on a society who already assume they're criminals in waiting.
The gender pay gap that people like to discuss in the modern sense is a total (and easily debunked) myth that is thrown around by political types to shamelessly pander to a large swath of the voting bloc...namely women.

Maybe once upon a time in a world we no longer live in, women were not paid fairly for the same work they did as men, but it hasn't been true for a long time...probably decades now.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:15 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My neighbor across the street from me has a 23 year old son who still acts like he's 14. His friends come over, they skate board. They sleep over. They work part time jobs. I went out there and talked to them one day, told them they should be learning skills. Like talking to the wind. They are almost too old for the military already. I agree with the OP here, I think there is a huge glut of young men who are going to be considered pretty worthless if they don't get off their butt's and get to work.

I blame Xbox and Playstation.

I blame parents for coddling them.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:19 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is no longer about, if you are too good to do construction. It is can you survive doing construction?

I made a nice comfortable living doing all forms of construction, until 1988 and framing a house, we hear the Tejano music cranked up across the street and within the year, you took a drastic cut in pay, or you went and found another job. I found another trade to learn in construction, thinking they cannot possibly get into this more technical job... By 1995 they were leaning on me, installing carpet & tile, by 2000 they pushed me out of Hardwood and laminate.

The "going rate" today to install flooring is 1/2, what I started installing flooring for in 1988.

I could work, 7 days a week, 14-16 hours a day and still not make ends meet, living in such a high cost of living city.
The illegals live 15-20 per duplex, and work off their fee for the coyote getting them here. Compete with that!
Join a union then

Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
I know it's offensive to liberals for me to hold this opinion, but I think that the man working and the woman taking care of the home and kids makes more sense for society than the other way around or than both parents working full-time. If we wanted to go back to the 1950s style of society, we definitely could and our economy wouldn't lose any output (Heck, we had the most productive economy in the entire world back in the 1950s ..).
I agree.

I would add that middle class housewives had it made in the fifties. They ran the show, and when hubby died, they inherited the money.

Lots of ladies' luncheons and shopping, bridge clubs, charity work, Junior League, going to the symphony, etc.

"Leave it to Beaver" is a pretty accurate representation of life in those days.

Notice how June Cleaver always looked stylish?

The perfect lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am a retiree and I am appalled at all of the people out on the street during my retiree weekday daytime hours. "Go to work, you lazy galoots!" I want to shout at them. Weekday mornings and afternoons are for me and my fellow geezer ilk. You don't belong in the supermarket at 10:00A on a Thursday. How am I supposed to feed the birds in the park at 1:00P on a Monday if you workless bums keep running and bicycling past the birds to stay physically fit while you do NOTHING to earn any money?

I shouldn't have to look for a place to park or wait on any stinkin' lines on a Tuesday morning or a Wednesday afternoon. That's MY TIME to be out doing old lady things.

At first, I was mad at the people who work 4/10 shifts because they were gunking up my retiree time on Fridays by being off. I mean, for crying out loud, doesn't anything happen in the worker world on Fridays anymore?

But now they're like roaches. They just keep multiplying. Can't you all be couch potatoes and sit in front of the TV and drink beer and watch Oprah and soap operas or something and go out at night and on weekends?

I'm voting for Donald Trump to get all of you off the street in the daytime.

I suspect a lot of people are spending their parents' retirement money. Mom and Dad just can't say "no."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I did not mean to compare roofing jobs with oil boom jobs, at all. I see the oil boom as a gold rush type opportunity that many healthy qualified young men refused to even explore and I don't understand that. In the 80s it was the Vegas building boom and single young men and women went out there for opportunities and would work long and hard to pull in big money while it was available. I saw this in my family and it is how non-college educated men made it, taking risk and opportunities as they come even if it wasn't the original plan. There are semi-skilled blue collar jobs going unfilled. Unskilled of course has been taken by non-Americans.
Isn't this mostly in North Dakota?

People won't move for opportunity anymore.

Not unless it's to "cool" places like San Francisco or Austin.

Also, the oil business is anything but "cool." It has a bad reputation thanks to environmentalists and liberals.

I made the mistake of telling someone I worked in that business in a bar, and he said that he wanted to "punch me in the face."

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The gender pay gap that people like to discuss in the modern sense is a total (and easily debunked) myth that is thrown around by political types to shamelessly pander to a large swath of the voting bloc...namely women.

Maybe once upon a time in a world we no longer live in, women were not paid fairly for the same work they did as men, but it hasn't been true for a long time...probably decades now.
So true.

And any woman who wasn't being paid equally could sue and win in court. As well as file a civil rights complaint with the Justice Department.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:54 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
I know it's offensive to liberals for me to hold this opinion, but I think that the man working and the woman taking care of the home and kids makes more sense for society than the other way around or than both parents working full-time. If we wanted to go back to the 1950s style of society, we definitely could and our economy wouldn't lose any output (Heck, we had the most productive economy in the entire world back in the 1950s ..).
As a liberal, I don't know about "offensive," but maybe old-fashioned and somewhat closed-minded, most certainly...

People, whether male or female, should have every right and opportunity to live their life and pursue their happiness as makes the most sense for them. That's what liberals are more inclined to think in contrast to what you believe in any case.

Some may want to go the way of raising a family in the best way they can and/or know how. Might even be two women or two men doing so..., gasp! Then too, whether male or female, straight or gay, white or black, Christian or Muslim, some may want to fulfill their hopes and dreams by way of career. Others perhaps will be the supportive spouse or maybe also wanting career, in which case the terms of sharing life had best be worked out with care, or divorce will also be part of their future.

In the end, however, who better to decide what the man and/or woman should do in these regards all considered other than that man or women in question? You, me, the government? I don't think so.

I know it's offensive to conservatives for me to hold this opinion, but...

Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I am a retiree and I am appalled at all of the people out on the street during my retiree weekday daytime hours. "Go to work, you lazy galoots!" I want to shout at them. Weekday mornings and afternoons are for me and my fellow geezer ilk. You don't belong in the supermarket at 10:00A on a Thursday. How am I supposed to feed the birds in the park at 1:00P on a Monday if you workless bums keep running and bicycling past the birds to stay physically fit while you do NOTHING to earn any money?

I shouldn't have to look for a place to park or wait on any stinkin' lines on a Tuesday morning or a Wednesday afternoon. That's MY TIME to be out doing old lady things.

At first, I was mad at the people who work 4/10 shifts because they were gunking up my retiree time on Fridays by being off. I mean, for crying out loud, doesn't anything happen in the worker world on Fridays anymore?

But now they're like roaches. They just keep multiplying. Can't you all be couch potatoes and sit in front of the TV and drink beer and watch Oprah and soap operas or something and go out at night and on weekends?

I'm voting for Donald Trump to get all of you off the street in the daytime.

Used to be, "back in the good ole days..." most people who worked did so Monday through Friday, 9 to 5...

Nowadays, it's not easy to get a job that doesn't involve working nights, weekends, and for many that's another way to split duty watching the kids while one is working certain hours the other is not. That's our 24/7 society today, anyway, and why nowadays we also have rush hour traffic in many areas no matter when you get on the freeway...

This may be why as a retiree you may see more people on the street during your retiree day time hours, but if you get out there late at night as well, you might see those same people behind the counter at the 7/11, 24-hour Safeway, Starbucks or gas station convenience store.

Right, you'd be sleeping then like most retirees are doing.

No need to be appalled in many cases anyway. Just be sure in any case they aren't just trying to enjoy some time off from work before you start yelling at them about going to work...

Old 05-29-2016, 02:23 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
90% computer programmers are men, and they are always on demand.

American schools do not make boys ready for challenges. Most public schools do not push the students hard enough.
This is ultimately the parent's responsibility.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Join a union then

LOL!! The illegals have ruined any hope of a Union getting the work here.
A union would work in a right to work state, if there were no illegals.
The same way unions were started in the very racist Progressive Era, to keep blacks from the better pay working in factories.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:05 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Poor babies!!! What bull-headed men who lack modern jobs skills need to face is that the world isn't going to change to accommodate them so they're going to have to get off their self-pitying, scapegoating asses and acquire job skills that enable them to make more than $2/hour over minimum wage. That means sucking it up and going to a trade school or CC or a four-year college or taking advantage of OTJT or apprenticeships. It also means not smoking pot so that they can pass a drug test, not showing up for work hung over on Monday morning, being willing to learn new skills or new techniques.

The unemployment rate among people holding bachelor degrees is about 3%. Most "good jobs" aren't going to women, they're going to the educated or the skilled/trained.

In many parts of the country, many jobs go begging because many of the unemployed aren't really employable: they can't pass drug tests, they have criminal records (incl outstanding warrants), they're functionally illiterate, or their work records are littered with firings for cause (like being drunk at work or being habitually late, etc).

Great post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies