Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 05:39 AM

643 posts, read 471,823 times

Advertisements

Seems to only really be a problem in black neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
Seems to only really be a problem in black neighborhoods.
And here in C-D.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:53 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Poor babies!!! What bull-headed men who lack modern jobs skills need to face is that the world isn't going to change to accommodate them so they're going to have to get off their self-pitying, scapegoating asses and acquire job skills that enable them to make more than $2/hour over minimum wage. That means sucking it up and going to a trade school or CC or a four-year college or taking advantage of OTJT or apprenticeships. It also means not smoking pot so that they can pass a drug test, not showing up for work hung over on Monday morning, being willing to learn new skills or new techniques.

The unemployment rate among people holding bachelor degrees is about 3%. Most "good jobs" aren't going to women, they're going to the educated or the skilled/trained.

In many parts of the country, many jobs go begging because many of the unemployed aren't really employable: they can't pass drug tests, they have criminal records (incl outstanding warrants), they're functionally illiterate, or their work records are littered with firings for cause (like being drunk at work or being habitually late, etc).
I sincerely hope you don't have any sons. I would feel sorry for them.

It never ceases to amaze me how many threads on here are posted about the failings of young men as a whole and young people as a whole and yet there is no actual evidence to back up any of these claims. Just a bunch of people complaining.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:10 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I sincerely hope you don't have any sons. I would feel sorry for them.

It never ceases to amaze me how many threads on here are posted about the failings of young men as a whole and young people as a whole and yet there is no actual evidence to back up any of these claims. Just a bunch of people complaining.
I share your sentiments and with two children of my own early into the whole effort of starting their careers, I too hope their "failings" or that of the economy don't keep them from every success I think they deserve and have every right to hope for. That said, these statistics have recently been reported and posted in this thread and/or others that may suggest the "American dream" is fading a bit from years gone by as much as I would like to think and hope not...

For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds | Pew Research Center

Old 06-01-2016, 01:23 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The gender pay gap that people like to discuss in the modern sense is a total (and easily debunked) myth that is thrown around by political types to shamelessly pander to a large swath of the voting bloc...namely women.

Maybe once upon a time in a world we no longer live in, women were not paid fairly for the same work they did as men, but it hasn't been true for a long time...probably decades now.

are you a man? I am not-- and what you stated is NOT true

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Is there any stats to back up this claim??

Old 06-02-2016, 08:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Used to be, "back in the good ole days..." most people who worked did so Monday through Friday, 9 to 5...

Nowadays, it's not easy to get a job that doesn't involve working nights, weekends, and for many that's another way to split duty watching the kids while one is working certain hours the other is not. That's our 24/7 society today, anyway, and why nowadays we also have rush hour traffic in many areas no matter when you get on the freeway...

This may be why as a retiree you may see more people on the street during your retiree day time hours, but if you get out there late at night as well, you might see those same people behind the counter at the 7/11, 24-hour Safeway, Starbucks or gas station convenience store.

Right, you'd be sleeping then like most retirees are doing.

No need to be appalled in many cases anyway. Just be sure in any case they aren't just trying to enjoy some time off from work before you start yelling at them about going to work...
Do you see those 3 emoticons at the end of my post? Now, here's $5. Go buy a sense of humor.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Lol, I'm pretty sure the days of major wars and manufacturing jobs being the cure for what ails society are long gone. 100 years ago that was the ticket, sure. Nowadays it's not that simple and it never will be again. The world is a fundamentally different place today and the solutions to it's problems will have to be uniquely tailored to it.

If we get into a real shooting war and blast our world back to the 1750s (pre-industrial state) or even better back to 12,000 bp (the sticks and stones age) then there will be all the work one could wish for in trying to rebuild civilization and very few people to do it!

Old 06-02-2016, 09:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
You can't be serious. Lol

You're just arguing to argue at this point. I know people that don't have the critical thinking skills to decipher this type of stuff, but that's not you. You know exactly what I'm saying, and those aren't the conclusions you or any halfway intelligent person would come to. If I wasn't on my phone I might break each of those down, but I don't have the time, and you already know the answers, so what's the point?

I give you kudos for the effort, but your tactic is right out of the losing an argument playbook. Well played.......well played
Well bless your heart there you go again.
Cant defend your statement so you resort to lashing out.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
A few examples of "boys being boys."

Boys tend to be more prone to hyperactivity as kids. They're more disruptive, curious, and less focused by average than girls their own age. Now days when they get out of line, we medicate them, or we enable their behavior by labeling them with a learning disability instead of accepting that "boys will be boys" and whipping their little behinds until they out grow the behavior. This leads to huge problems down the road. This is why so many millennial men lack the level of personal responsibility of men from previous generations. Basically they lack responsibility because we have failed them by refusing to accept that boys require more discipline than girls, while labeling their behavior as abnormal.

Another example would be taking the competition out of everything. This hurts both sexes, but it particularly hurts boys because by nature, boys are far more competitive. than girls are. If you take the competition out things at a young age, a lot of boys will simply stop caring unlike their female counterparts. More boys are wired to want to lead, while more girls are wired to want to follow. If you take away a boys ability to lead, he'll become a follower, which is something women are much better at.

Another example is how we have suppressed bullying. Once again, this hurts both sexes, but it hurts boys a lot more because we have created a bubble for these soon to be men to live in. Boys particularly are graduating HS, without ever facing any real adversity. Their coaches can't scream at them, and other boys can't pick on them. They never have to stick up for themselves or be told the truth.

These are just a few examples of not letting "boys be boys." Essentially, we have been raising boys to be girls. This puts boys at a huge disadvantage because girls are much better at being girls than boys are.
So basically in your opinion the lack of physical discipline, competition and ability to bully at will is what is preventing men from pursuing educations and being sufficiently employed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies