Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,388,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In the early post-civil rights years, the New Right learned to make use of the deep-seated racism of the White working and middle classes, without explicitly advocating racial “backlash.” The rise of code word strategies was the first attempt at this. It was an effort to race-bait less explicitly, while making full use of the traditional stereotypes. Code words like “get tough on crime” and “welfare handouts” reasserted racist tropes of Black violence and laziness, often without having to refer to race at all.

But the use of code words was ultimately inadequate. Code words could not mobilize a mass base for racial reaction, especially one that would incorporate not only Whites of the Jim Crow South but also centrist Whites across the nation.

In order to reach out further, the New Right developed the ideologically grounded reverse racism (or reverse discrimination) framework. This took shape over the 1970s. Reverse racism had several advantages over code words. The most important of these was the claim that racially inclusive reform policies—notably affirmative action—were unfair to Whites: they were portrayed as “punishing” Whites who were merely seeking a job, admission to a university, or a federal contract. In seeking to overcome the legacy of past racism, it was charged, ostensibly anti-racist policy and state actions were themselves guilty of racism with Whites as the “new victims.”
How Colorblindness Co-Evolved with Free-Market Thinking | Political Research Associates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:02 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,796,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What whites call each other is none of my business. I don't consider it for a minute.

So yeah...we blacks call each other "brother." I know I do. It's protocol. Am I supposed to feel bad about it or something? Lol
I don't care how you feel. I agree that's how the world works in the business sector.
I was pointing out the fact that your statement ESPECIALLY white people was incorrect.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The most important of these was the claim that racially inclusive reform policies—notably affirmative action—were unfair to Whites

How Colorblindness Co-Evolved with Free-Market Thinking | Political Research Associates
It's not a claim, it's the truth. Affirmative Action is racist.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Elite whites ARE the real world! That's who runs the damn world.
They don't speak or care for whites. They speak and care for each other, the elites.

Quote:
Hell...why bother with close to most. You may as well just seal the deal and say all.
ahhh finally. The chickens come home to roost.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,105,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LMAO Great hypocritical post. Affirmative action IS the very definition of racial discrimination.
Meh...Affirmative action in this country ain't that old.

Whites had a couple hundred years head start with their AA program called systematic institutional oppression of non whites. So I'll give AA at least half that time before I consider it some sort of evil.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,388,329 times
What I've learned is that a lot of white people are more invested in their whiteness (and all of the assumed entitlements that come with it) than black people and other racial minorities are. And they'll do anything and everything to preserve white supremacy. However, we can't dare call their behavior racist, or it will hurt their precious feelings!

We've created a world in which we have racism without racists. Especially without white racists. That's why, even as he won reelection, President Obama lost white voters, 59%-39%.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I don't care how you feel. I agree that's how the world works in the business sector.
I was pointing out the fact that your statement ESPECIALLY white people was incorrect.
No it wasn't. Not even. It's totally correct. Couldn't be anymore correct.

Why you brought up the issue of what brothers call each other is beyond me. A slip I suppose. But gave it all away with that one.

Keep your cards a little closer to the vest.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Meh...Affirmative action in this country ain't that old.

Whites had a couple hundred years head start with their AA program called systematic institutional oppression of non whites.
Agreed but you mean because of the elites that made the laws. That was the cause. Always treat the cause. No tyranny from the elites, that includes the founders, no discrimination to the extent America had.

Quote:
So I'll give AA at least half that time before I consider it some sort of evil.
The lessor of two evils is still evil.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
No it wasn't. Not even. It's totally correct. Couldn't be anymore correct.

Why you brought up the issue of what brothers call each other is beyond me. A slip I suppose. But gave it all away with that one.

Keep your cards a little closer to the vest.
No it's not a slip. It's an example. To say especially white people is incorrect. I stand by that.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
They don't speak or care for whites. They speak and care for each other, the elites.
Meh...I don't have time to separate white folks into groups relative to this topic.

To you, yeah, maybe they don't represent all whites. But I have no license or any right to say which whites can represent for other whites anymore than you can say which blacks represent the black community. That's not in my purview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies