Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 04:18 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Rail is a solution for large dense population areas that work in another large dense population area. That was fine last century when we didn't have a choice and millions of office workers had to commute to downtown.
Yep, which is why rail works so well in Europe but not very well in the US outside the BosWash corridor. The US is way too big and spread out for it to make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
I don't see where a govt run transportation system is ever a solution for anything.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Madera is like 6 miles north of downtown Fresno( 520,000) and Shafter borders Bakersfield(363,000)

In most states, those would be the 2 largest cities, so lets stop talking as if they built the first leg in the middle of nowhere.

It should help get the illegal farm workers to the fields on time.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I don't see where a govt run transportation system is ever a solution for anything.
You don't like driving on your city and state roads or interstate system?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I pay fuel tax(part of which goes directly to mass transit), enormous amounts of sales tax on vehicles that rivals the fuel tax, license fees, registration fees, title transfer fees and inspection fees.

On top of that small business's are collecting sales tax from me on parts for my car and the industry building those cars and parts is paying huge sums of tax along with all their employees.

If I get ticket my $25 fine comes out to $100 because of all the extra fees they levy. If I park my car in Philly at a public lot half the money is split equally between the city and the Philly school district.
Ok. I pay all sorts of taxes and fees for my vehicle too.

Quote:
Other than buying a $11 hamburger that costs Amtrak $16 to make and a fare that does not cover costs what are these people using mass transit/rail paying?
Well we could just come up with municipal, state, and federal transit tax to help pay for the ~10.8 billion total trips (in 2014) used on mass transit.

However, I shouldn't have to tell you how government officials prefer to raid some other fund instead of actually funding something. It makes it seem like they didn't raise taxes....

Old 06-05-2016, 03:03 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Central planning is always limited by the present, known and available. It never anticipates let alone creates anything new.

"High speed rail" stands a very good chance of being the 21 Century's canals: the best transport imaginable until someone invented trains. Hyperloop Evacuated Tube Transport could leave HSR stillborn. It could be 90% cheaper to build than rail and 75% cheaper than freeways. Transportation might need only 2% as much energy.

https://www.wired.com/2015/08/elon-m...kinda-serious/
Why ET3? | Evacuated Tube Transport Technologies

If we want something different we have to let the visionaries run. If we want more of the same only more expensive, go with the bureaucrats.
I'm all for the et3 as long as the seats are as large as those in the 1st class section of an airliner. Otherwise, forget it.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:07 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You don't like driving on your city and state roads or interstate system?
He probably prefers horse and buggy.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
the point of High Speed Rail is to transport people from high density city centers to other city centers quickly and safely. Cars and busses are not the transportation forms that HSR would replace. Short distance air transport is the competition. Connecting San Diego, Los Angles basin and San Francisco with a HSR system makes a lot of sense.

Besides I would rather have the government build a modern transportation system instead of a new bomber that would be little more then another big expensive skeet for our enemy's AA gunners. The Air Force has managed to get out mass spending Republican Congress to approve this actual boondoggle without telling them what it will cost. Even if it provided more then flying targets it would certainly be too expensive.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:28 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Greg W. have you been watching what Obama has done to our military the last 7 1/2 years?
We have the smallest army and navy since pre WW2 our equipment is worn out there are no spare parts so the air force scavenge parts from museum pieces and the boneyard.The common defence of our nation is top priority not free obamaphones and other liberal mindset crap....let the private sector build it all the government does is FUBAR!

Old 06-05-2016, 06:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well we could just come up with municipal, state, and federal transit tax to help pay for the ~10.8 billion total trips (in 2014) used on mass transit.
How about the obvious, raise fares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies