Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Eight Million Young people without work or a degree is horrifying to me, and it just lets me know that the crime and violence will be increasing and the threat of a crime towards me is greater then before. What needs to happen to these young ones that are not thriving and contributing to society?
Millions of Young Americans Are Floundering, Study Shows

With 11 million plus illegal aliens in our country it is very difficult for our youth or adults to retain or get entry level or jobs that once paid a decent wage. Outsourcing is another factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I know you see yourself as something of an expert in these fields, but if you were, how do you explain that we have a progressive tax code if that violates the Constitution?
Why do we have limitations on gun ownership that violate the Constitution's "shall not be infringed" requirement?

The answer is the same. Heavy-handed legislators violating the Constitution and Courts that are too timid to uphold the Constitution.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:28 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Simple really, and unpaid internships are not exclusive to Hollywood. The problem occurs when too many people, in particular young people, want so badly to "get their foot in the door," to work in the movie business, any business..., they will accept an unpaid internship with hopes that will help them get to where they want to go better than being unemployed.

The reverse happens when less people want to work in that job or that profession, like picking vegetables for example. For that there are no internships, there are only migrant workers...
Wrong analogy. Both of my kids are young professionals and all their college Summer internships were paid jobs. $20-25/hr. Show me a migrant worker who picks vegetables that earns $20-25/hr.

Quote:
Ironic, isn't it, that on the one hand we can have all this about the lazy youth of today not wanting to work and on the other hand we have all these poor kids not able to get jobs, so they work at internships with no pay.
Why doesn't liberal-land Hollywood pay their interns?

Old 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Part of that is because people my age aren't wanting to settle down romantically so quickly anymore.

I got married at 22, and here in SF, that's considered on the younger side.

But if it was the 1950s, I'd have been considered an old maid for getting married that late.
The main problem, in my opinion, is Baby Boomer parents were and are terrible parents. One thing I agree with the Millennials about. We didn't prepare our children for life. We didn't let them fail at small things. Not all of us, but more than half of us.

I married at 29.

My rent for my apartment was a huge part of my salary, in a **** part of town when I graduate in the 80s, during a recession. But, it was MY apartment. I wouldn't have thought for a second to move in with my parents after I graduated from college.

I also got laid more than Millennials, I'm sure. Not to be mean. Just think very little of this 'safe space', infantile generation.

Of course, my kids didn't come home to our house after they graduated and are self sufficient. Very proud of them.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-29-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 08:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The main problem, in my opinion, is Baby Boomer parents were and are terrible parents. One thing I agree with the Millennials about. We didn't prepare our children for life. We didn't let them fail at small things. Not all of us, but more than half of us.

I married at 29.

My rent for my apartment was a huge part of my salary, in a **** part of town when I graduate in the 80s, during a recession. But, it was MY apartment. I wouldn't have thought for a second to move in with my parents after I graduated from college.

I also got laid more than Millennials, I'm sure. Not to be mean. Just think very little of this 'safe space', infantile generation.

Of course, my kids didn't come home to our house after they graduated and are self sufficient. Very proud of them.
Hmm. I wonder how Generation X parenting styles differ, because my parents were solidly Generation X.

But I made a point to move out asap, and hustled to survive while going to college (without debt). That was quite an adventure...lived in a car, lived with all kinds of roommates, had to fend off weirdos, travelled around the world on a shoestring via couchsurfing, hitchhiking, WWOOF, did some stuff that miiight toe the line of the law, lol...

I wasn't very risk averse back then, but I feel like a lot of Boomers do tend to discourage risk taking, for better or for worse.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:05 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong analogy. Both of my kids are young professionals and all their college Summer internships were paid jobs. $20-25/hr. Show me a migrant worker who picks vegetables that earns $20-25/hr.

Why doesn't liberal-land Hollywood pay their interns?
Most don't pay their interns although unions do. They instead get college credit and experience. Nothing to do with liberals

Old 05-29-2016, 09:09 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why do we have limitations on gun ownership that violate the Constitution's "shall not be infringed" requirement?

The answer is the same. Heavy-handed legislators violating the Constitution and Courts that are too timid to uphold the Constitution.
Agreed, the "shall not be infringed" did not come with ANY stipulations. No "excepts" no "buts".

Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
B-b-b-but the economy is peachy right? Obamabots said so.

Great post.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
True. I'm as libertarian as they come, I blame my generation for a lot, but boomers have ruined this country.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblac...mmO#.xp3VlEmmX

Old 05-29-2016, 09:19 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

I married at 29.

Mentioning getting laid more only means you feel inferior and have to build yourself up. Sorry, none of us care. My kids graduated and came home for 2 years. So what. They saved enough money to buy a house. Why are we so quick to kick our kids out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies