Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, please. Conservatives still hold a huge advantage over liberal radio gabfests--and they always will.
Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

In 2007, the last year Clear Channel reported a profit, its shares were selling at $90.
Today, the price is $1.15

It's hard for an aging conservative blowhard to have a voice when their major broadcaster is headed straight to bankruptcy at warp speed. iHeart (Clear Channel's new, more pleasant corporate name) will be selling off the 780 radio stations it owns before the snow falls. That won't be enough to bail them out, of course.

Their distribution subsidiary, Premier Entertainment, the outfit that sells the Rush show to the radio station owners, will be sold for peanuts.
Expect conservative political talk shows to disappear once it's gone, to be replaced by sports talk shows and much lighter fare, where there's still a salable market for the programming.

Go for it. There's an empire in shambles, just waiting for anyone who steps up and rescues it on the cheap. See how far you get using the same sales model. Just remember that its a business. Obviously, you must know something the guys at iHeart don't.

Trying to sell conservative talk radio these days is like setting the floor on fire to heat the house.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Rush used to be funny even if you disagreed with his views. In the past 10+ years his product simply hasn't been as good. Too often he's just hateful rather than humorous. I suspect his audience is mostly people over age 65 and advertisers want younger listeners whose spending habits can still be influenced.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
A few years ago I worked for a company and most of the employees liked to listen to Rush, sometimes the guy could be entertaining and quite funny, but he could also get so worked up and get so angry it was hard to listen to, plus the guys ego is utterly mind blowing. Fast forward to now, and I only know 2 people who listen to Rush. One guy is in his 70's and the other guy is a far right wing crazy guy. Most people I know are fairly conservative, but none listen to Rush anymore. But Rushes decline in popularity is nothing like Beck's decline in popularity. I know many people who used to love to listen to Beck and buy all his books, but in the last few years that guy has really lost it. I do think we will see a steep decline in conservative radio over the next decade, but I don't think liberal radio (or internet radio if you will) will catch up in the next 10 years, maybe in the next 20-30 years. I honestly can't name any famous liberal radio hosts or even liberal anchors on tv shows. All I can think of were the Comedy Central guys, Colbert and Jon Stewart, who were both entertaining and surprisingly informative.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 PM

243 posts, read 230,306 times
Leftist controlled media, no surprise here.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:52 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
What a hilarious thread!

When they can't think of something, they make stuff up.

Sandra Fluke?

She's soooooooo yesterday!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:50 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
If not for cochlear-implants, Rush is FULLY deaf. This fact has changed the dynamics of his show....he takes a lot less calls and does a lot more talking.

I don't care how smart and interesting you are, having extended monologues is going to make a significant portion of your audience tune-out.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 PM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
The beginning of the big trouble for limp-bow was when he referred in a vulgar way to then-Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke.

READ IT AND WEEP:
Rush Limbaugh Silent After Politico Magazine Piece Details His Business Woes
Your jealousy over the Voice of America is showing and most un-becoming.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:39 PM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
What a hilarious thread!

When they can't think of something, they make stuff up.

Sandra Fluke?

She's soooooooo yesterday!
Yesterday, you say. No, more like Yesternobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies