Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:39 PM

199 posts, read 176,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Where are you getting your pricing from??

Gas in my area last month was $.99-$1.25 a gallon (I just filled up this past Tuesday for $2.09 a gallon and got $.50 off that due to my Kroger discount)

We have homes in my area that go for less than $10k (still recovering from housing crash)

I doubt a F150 or Chevy Silverado was $9000 brand new in 2000....Those are pretty expensive trucks, maybe $20,000-$25,000 but not $9,000.

ETA: in regards to manual labor jobs, it depends on what jobs. My spouse actually stopped working in a professional office a few years ago and decided this past year to take a production/manual labor job just to see what it was like. He started at $12 an hour, which is pretty good around here for a starting wage. He stayed at that job less than a year and by the time he left he was making $17 an hour, which is a very good wage around here and you could live comfortably (he worked the job to save money to start his own business, which is what he now does). He told me how people around here like to complain about there being no "good paying jobs" or "no jobs" at all and yet he went to a temp agency on a Tuesday and was working by a Wednesday. He said it was a very tough job physically and nearly ever young guy that came into the outfit quit the first day because they had to constantly move and pick stuff up. He was also tired but enjoyed having a job where he could move around (he used to work in the legal field and had a desk job for 15 years). After a month his body got used to it. The company hired him on full time (bought him out from the temp agency) within 3 months and he got the $5 raise due to that. That company gives really good raises and is a union job.

So it depends on where people live and what sort of job the individual is looking for. Where I live, it is common for people to make complaints like you are making, yet many times, those complaining about wages especially are just lazy people who will not work a hard, physically demanding job, not even for a good wage. They would rather work an easier, low wage job and complain about them not having any opportunities for more.
Unfortunately, union jobs don't grow on trees. Many don't have the good fortune of giving such generous raises in such a short time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Those $6 fast food salads were like $3.50 in 2000 though.

But things like laptops really haven't increased in price at all over the past 16 years. I think the one I bought in 2002 was about $400, and you could still get one for about $400 today. I don't think clothing has increased much in price either. I know there are a bunch more specialty food products out there today than in 2000, which tend to be more expensive, so people are probably spending a disproportionate amount of money on grilled arugula with a touch of basil in an Asian cuisine-inspired smoky bacon barbecue sauce than a McDonald's Value Meal in the late 1990s or something.
You bring up a good point. Overall, technology should be making life easier and cheaper for us. It hasn't.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
$1.50 hamburger 16 years ago, $6 today

.99¢ gallon of gas we just saw $4 a gallon

$50,000 home, is now over $200,000 for the same footprint and amenities.

$9000 p/u truck, is now $36,000

The only thing that has not increased.... Income for manual labor.

Yet we are constantly being told that illegal aliens are keeping many of these prices down. Also, they are the reason that income for manual labor has not increased but actually decreased.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:54 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet we are constantly being told that illegal aliens are keeping many of these prices down. Also, they are the reason that income for manual labor has not increased but actually decreased.
We have also pointer out how inaccurate all his prices are, so I wouldn't use them as a benchmark for illegals.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:15 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
Not quite accurate.

Quote:
The cr@p that sold for $1.50 back in 2000 is probably $3 now. I wouldn't know. The nice Mideastern restaurant next to us that is actually cheaper to eat at than McPukey (at least before tips) is probably 30-40% more now.

Quote:
.99 /gallon was in the 1990s, coming out of a major slump in oil prices that killed the USSR. When I bought my first SUV a '01 Chevy Tahoe in Nov 2000, the gas was already around $1.85 or so. It's $2.50 now, and was around $2.25 for most of the past year.

Quote:
Totally depends on the area you're in. In the Midwest, the homes now are at about 20% increase over their values in the late 90s. That's if you're lucky. In the few superhot markets fueled by the startup growth, yes.

Quote:
Where did you see a $9000 p/u truck in 2000 ? My mid-trim Tahoe with few options was $30,000. Now it's probably $45,000, although it is a much nicer more upscale truck today. The 2001 Silverado MSRP was starting around $26,000. The 2015 model MSRP starts at $27000. It's almos the same price (although almost nobody buys the basic mode anymore so they get you on extras). The cheapest truck they sold back then was S10 regular cab with MSRP of about $14,000. They don't even have these small trucks anymore. The mid-size Colorado MSRP starts at $20,100 although most people likely would prefer a crew cab version.

Other than the dollar getting cheaper, there are also other reasons for inflation. The Chinese can no longer continue working 14 hrs a day for a rice bowl, the worker salaries in hot manufacturing areas are now higher than even in e.g. Russia. The cost of medical services and drugs is through the roof - a lot of this has to do with pure greed and fraud - and this is reflected in the price of goods. There was a recession and everyone now is trying to make up for it the best they can.

Quote:
Thank your friendly politicians for the open border and free trade policies. And it's going to get worse with automation revolution.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,019 times
Quote:

Plus a lot of big cities the price of home are closer to $600,000 now like in Miami, LA, New York or San Francisco .

Probably in 50 years from now homes will be closer to $900,000 or more.

If you want the cost to go down they will have to lower wages. Every time wages go up the cost of living goes up.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:35 AM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
WRONG!! I bought a brand new truck in 2001 for 20k. I also remember gas being around $1.30 more than 16 years ago.

I moved to my house in January of 2000.
Gas was then .99 cents.

I have always bought used vehicles but now they are not as new when I do due to the great increase in costs.

Food has risen painful amounts and seemingly like every time you turn around.

My health insurance has gone up 114% in just the last couple of years for the same policy/ same coverage.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:37 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,501,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Plus a lot of big cities the price of home are closer to $600,000 now like in Miami, LA, New York or San Francisco .

Probably in 50 years from now homes will be closer to $900,000 or more.

If you want the cost to go down they will have to lower wages. Every time wages go up the cost of living goes up.
I gave your post reputation, but I disagree with the last sentence.

Has little to do with wages. Has everything to do with free money/low interest rates.

The Fed is broken. Yellen looks like a scared pigeon, too afraid to do what needs to be done.

We're in for some hard times in this country if action isn't taken soon. Take my word for it though, it won't happen. The Fed is reactionary. They have been since the Reagan/Greenspan years.

We just had a dismal jobs report and the Case-Schiller housing index is the highest it has been since the bubble. There have only been a few times in history where asset inflation and wage stagnation/loss have happened simultaneously. Hint: Right before major recessions. Time to batton down the hatches.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
I gave your post reputation, but I disagree with the last sentence.

Has little to do with wages. Has everything to do with free money/low interest rates.

The Fed is broken. Yellen looks like a scared pigeon, too afraid to do what needs to be done.

We're in for some hard times in this country if action isn't taken soon. Take my word for it though, it won't happen. The Fed is reactionary. They have been since the Reagan/Greenspan years.

We just had a dismal jobs report and the Case-Schiller housing index is the highest it has been since the bubble. There have only been a few times in history where asset inflation and wage stagnation/loss have happened simultaneously. Hint: Right before major recessions. Time to batton down the hatches.

Correct!

A flake of gold, still buys the same amount of goods and supplies, it did 100 years ago.

Tax office property appraisals, rise every year. Making property more expensive to buy and maintain, in order to increase revenues at the tax offices. Because more of other people money is easy to get, when they hold all the power to do at will, to oppress other people if they don't.....

Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
To the guy that repped me and then left a nasty remark and bragged about making 5x what they did 16 years ago.

Me too, but the cost of living has risen 4x's +, so, we may be ahead, but not to the extent they have you fooled into believing. Fools can be fooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies