Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times

Advertisements

As a healthcare provider there are a lot of incentives to prescribe antibiotics needlessly.

To make patients happy, otherwise they will go elsewhere and I will lose business.

Negative online reviews if I don't prescribe, then more lost business.

Patients complaining "I can't miss work" or "I can't miss work because my kids are sick."

Lets not forget overuse in livestock to get higher output.

These have gone on long before Obamacare.

Well, over prescription results have come to fruition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ached-the-u-s/

Healthcare, especially when it comes to antibiotics needs to be free of these market incentives.

Patients and employers need to accept that viral illnesses happen and can keep people sick for a week or more. Government policies need to reflect it. Doctors need to be free of negative market incentives to overprescribe. This needs to start ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:04 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Free market antibiotics has nothing to do with controlling the flow into your country of humans who carry bacteria/viruses.

You control your borders you can control the microbes that come with them.

Period.

Without a doubt there's something positive to be said for having had an Ellis Island and health checks of immigrants which includes better control over the international borders and how they are admitted.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:01 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Free market antibiotics has nothing to do with controlling the flow into your country of humans who carry bacteria/viruses.

Period.

Without a doubt there's something positive to be said for having had an Ellis Island and health checks of immigrants which includes better control over the international borders and how they are admitted.
Legal immigrants do have health checks.

Illegal migrants often come from countries with better vaccination rates than the US.

Measles has to be imported since it does not circulate in the American population any more. Unimmunized Americans travel abroad, catch it, and bring it here. Legal travelers bring it here. It's about 50/50 American and visitors.

Do you propose to close all the borders and let no one in or out?

They do not know where the woman with the resistant bug caught it. The patient is a 49 year old woman who has not traveled anywhere recently.

However, we do not have to import microbes. Any species already here can develop resistance. It is just natural selection working. Microbes evolve; they always have and always will.

The solution is not going to be new conventional antibiotics, it will be completely novel ways of dealing with infectious diseases.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
As a healthcare provider there are a lot of incentives to prescribe antibiotics needlessly.

To make patients happy, otherwise they will go elsewhere and I will lose business.

Patients complaining "I can't miss work" or "I can't miss work because my kids are sick."

Healthcare, especially when it comes to antibiotics needs to be free of these market incentives.

Patients and employers need to accept that viral illnesses happen and can keep people sick for a week or more. Government policies need to reflect it. Doctors need to be free of negative market incentives to overprescribe. This needs to start ASAP.
Perhaps healthcare is not the right profession for you.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:26 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:

Except we don't have market based policies today. Government controls all drugs.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:20 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
We are all overdosed from a/b's used in our livestock.

OV's timed to about 5 minutes. It's easier and more profitable to pass out scripts.

With our current immigrant policies I have little doubt the US will be hit with a major health disaster.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Right. It doesn't. So why are you bringing it up?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:

Indeed, it is a standard case of the "tragedy of the commons."

Old 05-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Seems doctors are nothing more than pill dealers anymore. I wonder how many countless Americans died from the "mystery respiratory virus" brought from the 90k unaccompanied "children" from central america last year?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:

Period.

That's not the point at all.

Antibiotics exists to kill harmful bacteria. Bacteria are living things though, and like all living things, they are capable of adaption. Bacteria are fortunate though in that they're relatively simple creates and can rapidly adapt. Adaption will result in better survivability in current conditions, including when faced with antibiotics. What the overuse of antibiotics can do is create more of a need for bacteria to evolve. When this happens, they may become more deadly and harder to kill, thus making a disease that may not be something we can actually treat, at least not until better medication is made.

This is why overusing antibiotics is bad. It's not that antibiotics are bad. On the contrary; they're amazing. Many are aware of the problems of overusing them and come to the ridiculous conclusion that they are bad. But antibiotics come with the same restriction that most things come with; the old Greek idea of everything in moderation. You can have too much of a good thing. If it's profitable in the short term to overprescribe antibiotics, then you can expect that it will (and does) happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies