Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 01:15 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Well he doesn't have very good advisors! Or, perhaps, his advisors hung around Snoop Dogg in the WH bathroom: Snoop Dogg Says He Smoked Weed At The White House.
So did Willie Nelson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 01:16 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The timing indeed sucks. By the way, I am glad that your dad survived. What a true warrior he really is.
It was only luck that he survived. He was on a minesweeper and his sister ship did not make it.

He has been dead for ten years now. I still have one of his dress uniforms from WWII. Thank you!

PS Thanks to these post I revisited my father's ship on Wikipedia, I had forgotten about the torpedo boat attacks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tolman.

Last edited by fisheye; 05-29-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
So did Willie Nelson?
Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Here is what President Obama is doing today:

Memorial Day 2016: President Obama to lay wreath at Arlington National Cemetery | WHNT.com

Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It's Memorial weekend, why isn't our President visiting soldiers at the VA, places of war or?

Why would he pick this weekend of all weekends to celebrate and visit another country?
Yesterday I told you I didn't know Obama's plans, but it would be a shame if he didn't do anything to honor the day. Today, Monday, he's going to Arlington. Maybe some other things as well.

Even if he did nothing, he did not apologize to Japan.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:09 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I work with people from around the world and I try to judge everybody as an individual. I have never had issues with the Japanese. At one time I worked for Jewish immigrants and the wife had the numbers tattooed on her forearm; they would never even consider buying a Volkswagen and I could not blame them. I am not saying that it is not long overdue for an American President to visit the cities we bombed with our, then, new atomic weapon. All I am saying is that there is a time and a place for everything and our President's timing sucks!
Duly noted, but as also noted, lots of people don't feel the same way as you and yours...

To be "fair," we all need to recognize the many "pros and cons" related to what Obama has said and done by way of this visit, and we also need to recognize that especially for those folks who tend to be anti-Obama in general..., there is just no giving Obama credit when/where due, only grief. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, but mostly damned either way...

Old 05-30-2016, 09:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO @ all the new sympathy that came outta nowhere for victims of U.S. bombings.

Geez...when did you get a bleeding heart all of a sudden? In 2008?
It would be comical if it was not indicative of how easy it is to persuade conservatives. Critical thinking skills are apparently long gone.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post

Listening to him speak now. Arlington is perhaps the most moving place I have ever been in my life. Add to that the speech by Obama, where he is mentioning soldiers by their name, and it is very powerful to hear.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:13 PM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You have to be an idiot not to recognize the symbolic meaning of such a visit. But let's play dumb and focus on just the words spoken and not the actions.
With no apology expressed at all, you're reduced to insist that the President's mere presence is somehow apologetic?

Have another talking point...

(Yes, it's Chinese, not Japanese. Shaddup.)

Quote:
I live in Texas now but I am from Missouri.
Ehm - thanks?

Old 05-30-2016, 12:41 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yesterday I told you I didn't know Obama's plans, but it would be a shame if he didn't do anything to honor the day. Today, Monday, he's going to Arlington. Maybe some other things as well.

Even if he did nothing, he did not apologize to Japan.
Or grovel as alleged in the completely misleading thread title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies